Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2012 3:32:16 AM EDT
I've been reading the dryfire thread in this forum and I would lie to pose the same question about shotgun loading.  Most people say that what they practice the most is shotgun loading.  So what exactly do you do?  what are your drills or routines you do and how do you do them?
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I saw that one already and I'm definitely going add it to all of my range trips.  But mainly what dry fire exorcise routines does everyone do?  Also some more live fire drill would be cool to know too.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:
Thanks, I saw that one already and I'm definitely going add it to all of my range trips.  But mainly what dry fire exorcise routines does everyone do?  Also some more live fire drill would be cool to know too.

I've never seen anyone really dry fire a shotgun in their drills, it's usually just loading at home and shot, load, shot at the range.

CM
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 3:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PFC_Dustin] [#4]
Originally Posted By Clint-M:
Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:

I've never seen anyone really dry fire a shotgun in their drills, it's usually just loading at home and shot, load, shot at the range.

CM

So most people just load and unload it over and over?

What I've been doing is 2 combat loads, after the second one I feed the tube, then I dryfire at pictures on the walls to clear te tube.  But thats really all I can think of to do.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
With shotguns dry firing is going to be much less beneficial than with a pistol because of the trigger weight vs. gun weight ratio. The reason, or one of the reasons, you dry fire a pistol is to focus on the front sight and see if your trigger finger/grip is effecting it in some way (ie: your sights dip low-left when you pull the trigger) because a 5 pound trigger pull in a 2 to 3 pound pistol is huge while on a shotgun you have an 8 to 10 pound gun with a 6-7 pound pull which is not nearly as much comparatively. Not to mention %95 of the time a shotgun is not intended as a precision weapon.

Mostly what I do with my shotgun is work on mounting it quickly from different positions, including off a table and working the safety, weak hand reload with par timer, work on transitioning from target to target without worrying about pulling the trigger, and transitioning either to the shotgun from another weapon or vice versa.

I think outside of loading drills the biggest time saver you can work on outside of the range is going to be mounting the shotgun consistently under pressure. Sort of like working your draw, if you can acquire your sights and break that first shot off quickly you're going to be doing better than half the crowd right out of the gate. If you look at Keith Garcia's "Load 12 Challenge" I think he mounts the shotgun and hits a plate at 15 yards in .4 seconds. Compare that to the average competitor and he probably saves a second on the first shot.

CM
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
While this is more of a combat drill I can see how mastering the reloading with the shotgun empty would help for the "OH CRAP" moments we have sometimes if we run our shotgun completely dry and still have a target down range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVXY6SiJJD4
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If you get an opportunity, take a class from Kurt and Trapr
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:
I have probably spent more than 100 hours stuffing dummy rounds into my shotgun then just racking them right back out.  I practice both loading the tube and loading from an empty chamber with the bolt locked back as well as loading then manipulating the action as if to load the gun and/or clear a malfunction by rapidly working the bolt without losing my cheek weld and sight picture.

As far as live fire drills I always start every shotgun practice run with a loading run.  I start with an empty gun or maybe a gun with one in the chamber and load it full all while moving left/right/back/forward/kneeling/sitting then I shoot 4-8 and reload it again.  Every live fire session always incorporates as muck loading as shooting.  Actually most times I load more than I shoot cause loading is free and shooting costs $.20 or so per bang.  

I don't have a particular shooting drill I could give you that will make you a top shotgunner.  I find shooting the shotgun and hitting the intended targets to be the easiest thing we do in 3 gun.  The hard part about 3 gun shotgunning is knowing the pace at which you can still engage and hit all the targets.  So to work on learning that pace I shoot a wide variety if targets shapes and sizes that are spaced closer and farther apart.  I want to know how it feels, sounds and what my sight pictures are going to look like when I engage a plate rack at 7 yards as compared to at 20 yards.  Or a set of 4 full size poppers compared an array if 4 5" square steel on stands.  Once your eyes know how fast your body can engage the targets then repetition increases your speed.  Lots of repetition!  I keep track of every round of what caliber I am shooting HERE so I know if what I'm shooting translates to better match results.

thanks, Jesse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top