Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2012 10:41:59 AM EDT
I'm planning to attend my first match in next 2 months. Just getting
miscellaneous gear together and working on the basics. I have one of the new 22" Mossberg 930 JM Pros but I'm looking for
guidance on a few scenarios I'm running into.
Scenario 1

After the last shot,
the bolt is open. When the bolt is open, the lifter can't be lifted.
What is the protocol here for loading the next 8 rounds?
I have (5) 4-round caddies and no side-saddle at this time so I see a few options.
1) Close the bolt empty, proceed to load 8 in the tube, re-rack the bolt (allows for 2 complete loadings of 8 shells with current setup)
2) Pop a shell in the ejection port, chamber round, load the magazine
tube from the caddies (allows for 2 complete loadings of 9 shells with current setup, but a little slower)
If option two is best, should I be using one dedicated caddy for
stripping single shells...probably the one closest to my buckle, or
should I use a side-saddle for single shell loads?
Scenario 2

If I need to change loads in the middle of a sting of fire, maybe I need to shoot a heavier load for a further out plate for example, how do I accomplish this?
The only way I can think to do this with one in the chamber and additional shells in the mag tube is to load my heavier load as the next shell in the mag tube, then rack the bolt to pick it up, while ejecting an unused shell into the dirt.
Any other options to accomplish this?
Thanks for you help everyone. I'm sure these are really basic questions.

Link Posted: 4/13/2012 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend not running it dry. Keep track of your shots. And plan your stages for reloading when you can and not when you have to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 2:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
if you can help it, never run it dry; but it does happen.
The best option is to grab 4, pop one in the port, hit the bolt release, then load the three, then grab four more. You now have 7 in the tube; adjust your plans on the fly accordingly.

that first step is tricky and has to be practiced.

the next best thing is to grab a shell off the shotgun, chamber one, and then load 8.

Im not a fan of shells on the gun, but this is pretty fast.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
sorry; your second question, always choke up for the hardest to hit target in the course of fire.
just aim a lil harder at the close stuff.

Really try to go one for one on steel; its the biggest thing to understand and do in practice. a fast reload means nothing if you have to do one or two more than everyone else.

unless you have some REALLY hard to knock down steel, choking so the pattern will knock the steel down is your best plan. I do have a box of high brass 6's that I take with to big matches just in case.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try to keep track of my shots. I'm sure things will fall into place once I actually get started.

Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top