Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2015 3:27:11 PM EDT
I am soon going to be in the market for an in-depth training opportunity.  There is some good info on what the Noveske Team was doing, but I can't seem to find anything current.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

For the record I know that there are plenty of videos and info to be found online regarding drills, practice, etc.  However, I learn better from face to face instruction and want to build a foundation.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:01:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JesseTischauser] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Jesse.  I will do just that.  Do you have any recommendations?  I'm guessing you got into this like most everyone else (looked interesting, did a few matches, got hooked).  What did you do that began the evolution from 'this is fun' to 'I'm a pro'?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ben Stoeger comes to Austin at the beginning of the year. He's one of the best competition instructors I've ever trained with.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:

Stoeger is a helluva shooter and seems very cerebral.  Id like to take his pistol class too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DoctorNo:
Ben Stoeger comes to Austin at the beginning of the year. He's one of the best competition instructors I've ever trained with.

Stoeger is a helluva shooter and seems very cerebral.  Id like to take his pistol class too.

Regardless of what you may think of his persona, he is one of the few people on the planet who can look at high level shooters and diagnose problems or barriers to improvement. He is extremely technical in breaking down skills and has a very sharp mind when it comes to breaking down shooting. Better yet he can talk the talk and walk the walk. I modeled my training program after his feedback and achieved GM in 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:17:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#7]
I totally agree with Jesse about pistol being easiest to find classes and hardest to master. For 3 Gun, I'd practice shotgun loading drills on your own and look for pistol classes focused on competition shooting (different mind set and manipulation as opposed to defensive or combat course). I took Robert Vogel's class a couple of months ago and I can't say enough good things about the class and Bob himself.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]

I'd love to take Bob's class too.  He's one of the top 5 in the world with iron sights IMHO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By JohnsMyName:

I totally agree with Jesse about pistol being easiest to find classes and hardest to master. I'd practice shotgun loading drills on your own and look for pistol classes focused on competition. I took Robert Vogel's class a couple of months ago and I can't say enough good things about the class and Bob himself.

I'd love to take Bob's class too.  He's one of the top 5 in the world with iron sights IMHO.

Agreed. It's worth it just to watch him shoot. You can't help but crack a smile and laugh, he's that fast.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I read your post BHanks quite a few times. The area that gives shooters the most trouble is pistol. Do you shoot USPSA? if so at what level?

Being in Texas I recommend a few of the classes at KR Training. Karl keeps his classes short and intense working on 1-3 fundamentals at a class. This also keeps the classes very reasonable.

Ben Stoeger puts on great classes, I've taken his class and it is a great class for say a solid 'B' shooter to move up. If you are a new shooter Ben's classes can be a bit overwhelming.

Ben's classes are strictly USPSA  pistol, KR Training classes simply make you a better shooter no matter what pistol shooting sport you plan on doing.

Good pistol shooting will result in improvements in rifle at 100 yds and under. For over 100 yds you need to get some practice and learn you dope for distance.

Most issues with shotgun is reloading, you can practice at home. There is really no right or wrong way, just what works for YOU. The main thing is to reload as quick as possible UNDER PRESSURE without dropping the shells every where. You will need to practice slugs to see where they hit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#11]

Originally Posted By DonofKalifornia:

I read your post BHanks quite a few times. The area that gives shooters the most trouble is pistol. Do you shoot USPSA? if so at what level?

Being in Texas I recommend a few of the classes at KR Training. Karl keeps his classes short and intense working on 1-3 fundamentals at a class. This also keeps the classes very reasonable.

Ben Stoeger puts on great classes, I've taken his class and it is a great class for say a solid 'B' shooter to move up. If you are a new shooter Ben's classes can be a bit overwhelming.

Ben's classes are strictly USPSA  pistol, KR Training classes simply make you a better shooter no matter what pistol shooting sport you plan on doing.

Good pistol shooting will result in improvements in rifle at 100 yds and under. For over 100 yds you need to get some practice and learn you dope for distance.

Most issues with shotgun is reloading, you can practice at home. There is really no right or wrong way, just what works for YOU. The main thing is to reload as quick as possible UNDER PRESSURE without dropping the shells every where. You will need to practice slugs to see where they hit.
View Quote

+1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top