Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 2:03:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1EyedFatMan]
What do some of you guys do when you go to the range to practice pistol/AR?  I'm sure you just don't blast away at Zombie posters 10yrds out!  Can you describe a typical range time program?  Keep in mind most of us don't have a 3-gun course in our backyards.  I have an indoor range with 25yrd lanes and special lanes for holsters and rifles plus an outdoor range with 30yrd, 50yrd and 100yrd lanes.  Further out of town there are longer ranges.  No running around with loaded firearms allowed of course.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AF_Blue] [#1]
Limited by indoor range rules - focus on sight picture, trigger pull and perfect impacts with your pistol.

Start from the low ready if allowed, and get your sights on target then execute perfect trigger control, reset.  Think about it, do it again. Got it?  Do it faster. One round.  No trouble with any range with single rounds.

If you can practice reloads, do the above with one round, reload and do it again with one round.  Unless you're a ninja, no range is going to call you out for shooting too fast.  

This will build your confidence in your sight picture and your perfect trigger pull to keep you on target.  Use 6 inch circles at 5,7,10, 15  yards and you'll build your skill for steel targets and A zone hits.

Can you do the same with a rifle?   Push it out to 15,20, 25. Sight picture, squeeze, see your shot impact. Practice speed reloads from the belt.

30-50 rounds of pistol, and 20 or so rounds of rifle Should give a good metal and physical workout.

Able to shoot outdoors - Shoot the load 2 drill with your shotty and timer. 5-6 runs.   Practice being smooth with your reloads.

Then I like to do El President drills with pistol, then rifle.  Score it, time it and write it down.  You need to shoot as fast as you can and get your hits, and practice reloads until they just happen.

Check out the perfect practice pinned topic in the training tab too.

Edited to add - I see good, technical shooters get hung up with their equipment when their shooting stance is not static and squared.  I'd encourage you to practice at the house, with empty guns, from odd positions to get a sight picture, manipulate slides, bolts, safeties, and reload.  Ever tried to drop two shotty shells while prone?  Love my AP Custom load twos, but they don't love prone.

If you get the stages before a match, physically go thru your starting setup and transitions.  Ever shot a 3 gun stage with all three guns on your body? Do you know how your going to sling a long gun, but more importantly how do you unsling it to get it into action fast without compromising safety or another piece of equipment. Slings like to grab things, like pistol grips and pull them out...

The time to think about how you are going to get your gear into a position to put bullets on paper/steel is not after the buzzer goes off, right?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top