Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2014 9:31:08 PM EDT
Hello fellow firearms enthusiasts, this writing is to provide you information on some great fundamental handgun training I just received in Cleburne, TX (just outside of Dallas/Fort Worth).  Although, this training was held in North Texas, if you are located in other areas of the US, you may still want to read on because I have seen them schedule classes outside of TX.  The training was provided by Stephen Pineau of M3Strategies (http://www.m3-strategies.com).  This type of instruction is not easy to find and if you did find it, you may still be hesitant.

Is this training for you?  It could be if you seek training that will improve your handgun marksmanship and handling…whether that is for defense, sport or competition.  If your job involves carrying a handgun, I think you would find this training valuable.  Chances are if you are reading this post, then you are the type of person suited for this class because you have a keen interest in firearms and gear which this class will help you get better at using.  If you are new to firearms and have taken several classes and lessons at your local indoor range and are asking, what’s next to get to the next level?  Then M3Strategies is for you.

The range location is outdoors and well setup to allow much better freedom of instruction then one would find at a typical indoor range or classroom.  That combined with Stephen’s from the heart and gut delivery provides the group a fast paced and dynamic setting.  There are no chairs (unless you bring your own foldup), no projector, no foils which have been scrubbed by management and lawyers so that every word has been ultra-cleansed for the masses.  Those things would only slow the class down and Stephen likes to stay on the move.  He is not reading anything…its marker on target board with the group gathered around as he explains in detail the site picture or trigger pull.  Stephen tries to cram as much into the day as possible.  New targets go up quick, reloads just as quick.  No breaks.  While you sit on your ammo can and wolf down a sandwich around noon, he will continue to lecture the group on some important aspect of firearms manipulation.  This environment is rather Spartan when compared to the A/C cooled, cushy chaired environments of some classes.  But, if you want to break a sweat, challenge yourself, get deep and go through some of the most comprehensive drills you’ll find, then this is the perfect setting to get down to business.

I don’t think I have been so focused on any subject for a whole day as I was that day, personally or professionally (and I work in IT).  That is because once Stephen starts, it soon becomes apparent this guy loves doing this, he is ALL IN. He wants to teach it as bad as you want to learn it and pretty soon everyone is ALL IN.  He holds nothing back.  What he knows, he wants you to know.  And what he has to say may not always be “main stream” or “text book”, but it is what he believes through experience.  You realize that you have entered firearms training Nirvana and whether you are rookie or experienced, you will find yourself fully immersed.  There is no room for day dreaming here guys.  He keeps the pace moving, so there is no time to look at birds or check messages on your phone.  Stephen has obvious lived it, he has sent endless rounds down range, he has competed and he has received information firsthand from top shooters in the country.  But he is still a regular guy….you will be hard pressed to separate him from the students until he starts.  There are no formalities with him.  The entire range is his classroom and the place to teach is the place where Stephen stops to make a point.  You literally move all over the range and the variety of experiences keeps it fresh.

Listen, I don’t want to go overboard here.  For months I have been a sponge off sites like this for information from guys like you on so many things (thank you).  I’ve come across something good and I want to spread the word.  Plus, when someone gives there all to teaching me something, I want to give something back.  I am new to firearms but this fundamental handgun class is far from being just for new guys.  It is fundamentals deep dive with live fire drills which goes way beyond typical self/home defense and CHL training.  There was a LE officer in the group who stated this 1 day class taught him things which his formal training did not.  There was a student which had taken serious training before and he learned new things from Stephen’s delivery both in marksmanship and manipulation.  Most of us have probably had basic training on malfunctions. I’ve had 5 other pistol/AR classes in the past 3-4 months (been on a binge) and each one covered malfunctions with dummy rounds and minor practice…I was familiar but did I know enough to clear a malfunction under stress?  NO!  Hell a week ago I bought dummy rounds because I knew I needed to practice.  But let me tell you, after Stephen’s malfunction drills…I now know.  Everyone in the class now knows.  And that’s what he does, he takes you from “I think I know” to “I know”.  He does this by going into more detail than normal, yet in a clear way, demos the concept himself with enthusiasm and then hammers it home into everyone through a series of very effective drills which sometimes involves speed and time.

If you are in Texas and want some serious handgun training (they also have AR training which I hope to take), I would encourage you to go check out M3Strategies (http://www.m3-strategies.com).  If you are a group, club or organization (including LE and Security) with people needing this training, I would encourage you to get Stephen over.  If you are out of state and think you can round up enough people to sign up for this type of training, I would check with M3Strategies if they will come over and do a training in your state.  You will get your money’s worth and then some.  We each shot about 450 rounds that day and it was agreed by all that no round was wasted.  Do not be intimated if you are new, do not think you know too much if you are not…if you want to get better with firearms just get into one of these classes.  At the very least, you will have a great time running through several drills with your firearm and what you already know will be greatly reinforced.  At the end of my day there, my main thought was WOW, how awesome was that?

I am not associated with M3Strategies in anyway nor do I personally know them other than as a student for a 1 day class.  I have not and will not be compensated in any way for this write-up.  This is a personal view which I will post on firearms related sites which I am a member of our visit for information regularly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice write up, thank you for taking the time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:
Did he teach anything in regards to 3-gun?
View Quote

He did not go into 3-gun specific training...like 3 gun related drills or rules.  The guy next to me was into competitive shooting and I saw another guy down the line who's pistol was obviouly competitive oriented and there may have been others.  His focus was on improving marksmanship and handling.  Example, we did drills where we did lots of running and different ways of how to run with a handgun safetly was discussed and tried.  Sometimes he would make reference to competitive shooting in some of his discussions, but that wasn't the constant focus.  Being this was a fundamentals class, he did more of a deep drive in all the basics and it looked to me like these were basics which could be applied to any type of handgun shooting including 3-gun.  He worked in more speed as the day went on standing beside us often with a shot timer.  Frequently we would start our drills by drawing from a holster and often we would have to do quick mag changes.  The next day he was having an entire day AR15 rifle course at the same range which I missed out on because it was already full.  I'm preparing myself for competitive shooting and 3-gun and this course was one more stepping stone in that direction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top