Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2013 11:41:00 AM EDT
I shot my first match.   It was a 3 gun match built around pistol, shotgun and pistol caliber carbine.    In that I don't have a carbine, I shot the carbine stages with my pistol.   They did let me shoot for appropriate range for the pistol.

Overall, I didn't get DQ'd or hurt.   That makes it a victory.   2 major areas to work on were shotgun loading and pistol marksmanship.   I had way too many misses on the targets.   These were targets that I could hit 95% of the time on a "square range".   In the run and gun, I might not have made 50%.   Lots of the basics crapped out on me.  Do I just need more square range trigger time or do I need to get a timer and some steel targets and practice that?
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the timer - shots that are easy for the average shooter on a square range become exponentially more challenging when the clock is running. Shoot lots more USPSA pistol and 3-gun matches to immunize yourself against clock-pressure. When you practice, do so with a shot timer and keep track of your performance (accuracy and speed). Shooting without time pressure is just plinking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top