Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2014 4:28:55 PM EDT
So I got a shot timer last week and have been practicing with it...it's been great.
I was curious what kind of times I need to be shooting for?
Specifically time to first shot on pistol and rifle and time to reload and fire on pistol.
These would be at close range cardboard targets...

Thanks,

JSflyer
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to find out your current capabilities, and then be training for improvement.  A shot timer is more about tracking improvement than setting a magical par time.  What would you do when you reach that goal?  Say "good enough" and move to something else?

Find out your average for whatever task you are looking to improve.  Set the par time for .2 less than your average, and as you start beating the par time, decrease that par by another .2.  You will train for continual improvement this way.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
BPR-
That's what I've been doing with my shot timer since I bought it...I just wanted to see if I had any huge deficiencies that put me seconds behind everyone else.
Thanks for clarifying for me why I bought my shot timer.

JSflyer
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Resist the urge to pursue speed at all cost.  A 1.0 second draw to an alpha, with a solid grip is better than a .68 draw to a delta with a messed up grip that you have to fight the rest of the stage.  Same on reloads, it is easy to rush the shot to beat the timer when it is the hits that count.  Improvement will come.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skunkeye:
Resist the urge to pursue speed at all cost.  A 1.0 second draw to an alpha, with a solid grip is better than a .68 draw to a delta with a messed up grip that you have to fight the rest of the stage.
View Quote

Agreed.  Work on the fundamentals and getting hits 100% of the time and you will be surprised how your time will naturally drop.

Focusing on speed means that you are not focusing on other things like accuracy, trigger control, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top