Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2013 3:17:13 PM EDT
I suck at it.  Please help.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Practice!  Lots of practice.

It's more about trigger control than anything else.  You have to shoot your rifle enough that you can make it fire the nano second that the cross hairs/front sight crosses the center of the target without jerking the trigger and thereby pulling the rifle off the target.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 1:23:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JesseTischauser] [#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm ill have to go get a 22 and work a little on this one I guess.  Just doesnt seem to want to come easy.

not being able to do this killed me at RM3G.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm ill have to go get a 22 and work a little on this one I guess.  Just doesnt seem to want to come easy.

not being able to do this killed me at RM3G.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It really, really helps to have an excellent trigger. Remember, at 100, 200, 300 yards you are not going to hold on the target. You will have to pop the shot off as your cross-hairs pass over the target. If you need to apply too much pressure or have too much trigger travel you'll move the gun just when you need it to be as still as possible.

Having zero adrenaline in your veins helps too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot some hi-power matches.  Shortest off-hand range is 200 yards.   For those who have a hard time holding the rifle still use the "approach" method. Aim at the right or left edge of the target. Move the rifle towards the center of the target and squeeze the trigger time it and hit the center.  You will also notice if you hold the rifle long enough on a target you will develop a figure 8 pattern.  Learn your natural pattern and work with it. Dry fire hold drills work great too.  Practice holding the rifle on target for a minute, rest repeat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Play living room ninja some more and get used to positioning and everything and trigger pulls.  Then ill sit on the couch with a lower and practice good trigger pulls with my off hand(i know im a nerd lol).  Then go to the range...and shoot...alot
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cap3912:
Shoot some hi-power matches.  Shortest off-hand range is 200 yards.   For those who have a hard time holding the rifle still use the "approach" method. Aim at the right or left edge of the target. Move the rifle towards the center of the target and squeeze the trigger time it and hit the center.  You will also notice if you hold the rifle long enough on a target you will develop a figure 8 pattern.  Learn your natural pattern and work with it. Dry fire hold drills work great too.  Practice holding the rifle on target for a minute, rest repeat.
View Quote

This is the technique I end up falling back on if I can't get my dot/reticle steady enough. I hold slightly over the target and slowly work my way down breaking the shot when I'm on target. Helps a lot versus trying to steady the dot/reticle on target getting that figure 8 arm dance...
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#10]
The important thing to remember when shooting off-hand is that you are never going to get the weapon on target and steady the way that you may be used to in a supported position.  Usually the reticle will be doing a figure 8 across the target and you have to time your shot for when the reticle passes over the target.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#11]
you might try pulling back with your support hand to tension the gun into your shoulder, this can lessen reticle drift, but not eliminate it completely.  I find I often do better with a unmagnified optic because the movement is smaller than when the magnification is cranked up, but that is range dependent for sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Arm, back, and leg strength is important.  If they aren't strong enough to adequately support your rifle, you will have much more wobble and difficulty staying on target.  I mounted a piece of heavy metal onto an old rifle stock that was laying around.  I would raise that heavy stock into offhand position, and hold it for a couple of seconds.  Just as with any weight lifting, start easy, and slowly increase repetitions, and how long you hold the position.   If you get too eager and try to progress too fast, you will actually have to wait for the muscles to heal before they can again head toward improving.

Once you strengthen those muscles, holding the rifle and shooting from various offhand positions such as barricades will be much easier.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:11:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rdeschain] [#13]
Pat Kelley explains it pretty well

Approach Shooting
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:09:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuukka] [#14]
A lot of my training is off hand at 60-100 meters.

I use hanging 6.6" plates.

I do shoot basic drills from a standing position, but it is mostly moving to get heart beat up and also shooting at varying distances ( some paper also mixed in often )

Yes, there will be wobble but the grip/stance etc. is what matters.

I do grip the rifle pretty firmly with a clamp type grip, but I also try to allow the rifle sort to float ( harder to explain than what it is :)

I also now prefer a higher magnification especially at 100 meter off hand, the 8x on the Z8i is an improved over the 6x Kahles in this.

One thing to really keep in mind, that I have not necessarily done enough, even though moving prior to shooting and shooting from varying types of surfaces.

Train for shooting positions where you dont have a perfect stance, ie. around a corner with a fault line, uneven and loose ground. It will have an effect definitely.

At the World Shoot in June, I shot off hand several of the stages that the top guys used safari length bipods for example, not coming out worse specifically due to it.

It can be counted from this video of the stages, but IIRC there were not too many misses on the further away off hand targets (#2 was a mess, where I should have used the bipods )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDM1z5RsscM
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Dry fire practice using a dot target that looks the same width as your front sight is cheap, convenient and always available rain or shine.

Make sure you have sufficient light on the target and your front sight. By practicing your breathing, natural point of aim, consistent cheek weld, trigger finesse and trigger follow through you will begin to develop it like a sixth sense.

Don't fool yourself about your technique, make every shot count. Have a chair to rest the rifle between shots. Your first good sight picture is the one to squeeze off. If you miss that opportunity simply rest the rifle on the chair and try again in five to ten seconds.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bigfish6057:
you might try pulling back with your support hand to tension the gun into your shoulder, this can lessen reticle drift, but not eliminate it completely.  I find I often do better with a unmagnified optic because the movement is smaller than when the magnification is cranked up, but that is range dependent for sure.
View Quote
This.

And pay attention to Natural Point of Aim. I tend to notice discomfort in my support arm and/or lower back if I'm quite off. With enough practice, your presentation should be close without needing to adjust much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Push your support hand up against the inside of your sling to give you more stability.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 8:59:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#18]
Lots of really good advice here.

Dry fire is free and VERY effective.

10 Meter air gun, 50-foot rimfire, and rimfire silhouettes help live-fire position and follow-through practice.

Highpower silhouette emphasizes form and technical shot execution (in street clothes -- no fancy-dancy equipment like coats and gloves allowed) with a scope.

CMP highpower emphasizes precision with a service or centerfire rifle.

M14 competition (at 300 yards) and International Military (ten shots standing in two minutes) wraps it all up.

A Newbie's Guide to Shooting 300m Rifle events
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Dig your elbow into your ribs for support.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 2:51:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Erno86] [#20]
You want to treat your trigger finger as it's own entity. I like a deliberate (follow through) straight back press of the trigger, with not to much or too little trigger finger.

I learned a good shooting tip from reading the late Marine Corp sniper --- Carlos Hathcock's book: To use a slight rearward pull with your firing hand; when your ready and aiming to crack-off a shot. When standing in the offhand/standing/field stance...I prefer to use a somewhat stronger rearward pull of my firing hand.

The rifle...preferably should have good balance. I like shooting bull barreled rifles in my standing/field stance. When windy or breezy...hold the rifle tighter into your shoulder pocket, with both your support and firing hand.

Allow the figure eight wobble of the rifle's sight picture...don't try to snatch the shot. As time an practice go on...the figure eight radius will get smaller.

Relieve the anticipation of the shot --- By saying "wait, wait wait," silently in your mind, while pressing the trigger straight back --- Which is a form of Zen, that I learned from reading a military shooting instructor's magazine article.

And I like shooting iron, peep sighted rifles...because it makes my sight picture look more steady.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Get your feet in a good stance with bottoms level or heels slightly higher. Can’t stand steady toes-up.

Keep your elbows as close to your sides as possible. (I love Appleseed but they need to ditch the antiquated chicken-wing stuff)

Mount the rifle exactly the same way each time. Same spot in shoulder. Same cheek weld. Same hand positions…

Get on the sights above the target and lower the muzzle toward the target, slowing the descent so you come to a stop as sights align on desired POA. Practice this thousands of times. Practice this and you will be able to pause motionless on even a 1moa target for just a moment. No longer. It will only last a moment and only if it isn’t windy. If windy you’ll have to go for close-enough.

Dryfire like a mofo.

Practice this diligently and you’ll be able to hit a 2moa target 90% of the time or better within a year.
Deer-size vitals at 100 yards will actually feel “can’t miss” easy.

I shoot service rifle high power competition using the above techniques and it has helped my offhand field shooting more than anything else I’ve ever done.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I highly recommend this Shooting Illustrated magazine article:

"The Zen Of Shooting" - Paul Schoch

https://shootingillustrated.com/content/the-zen-of-shooting/

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Trigger pull and breath control are super important.  You have to pull the rifle in tight, but you can’t have a death grip on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Take large caliber rifle.  Run up to large dangerous animal and wave your arms a lot.  Wait for it.  Now shoot like your life depends on it.  You'll learn quickly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wirebrush] [#25]
First post nails it again.  It generally takes me a few hundred rounds to get back in the swing of it if I haven't been shooting regularly, but I can get damn close to 1moa after a solid days practice.  Rifle weight and balance play a role as well.  Too light and the muzzle will wobble around too quickly to be able to break the shot at precisely the right time and if it's too heavy you will fatigue and your strained muscles will begin to involuntarily relax before the shot breaks.

I once bought an ultralight 22lr thinking it would make a great walking about varmint gun only to discover that due to the light weight I couldn't hit a barn off hand with it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Figure at least 15 minutes of warmup trigger time, at the start of each shooting session.

If okay with your doctor: Do 75 reps a night --- by mounting your heaviest rifle or shotgun to your shoulder pocket.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#27]
David Tubb - Wind Reading For Hi Power Shooting

David Tubb -- Wind Reading for High Power Shooting
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:11:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Musketjon] [#28]
1) A 2-stage trigger will help immensely. I don't know any competition shooters who use single-stage triggers.
2) Remember your natural point of aim.
3) Remember B.R A.S.S.
    Breathe
    Relax
    Aim
    Slack (take it up)
    Squeeze

Jon
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I mainly try to practice in the standing hunter's field position...with my support arm extended almost straight outwards --- but elbow slightly unlocked and flexed) on the forearm of the rifle; with my support wrist locked down at a 45 degree angle, and my index finger pointed roughly towards the target --- Which --- imho --- is a natural way to hold the rifle, and also a good way to control the rifle's recoil. On course...you'll have be aware (especially with short barreled rifles -- SBR's) not to have your support hand anywhere near the muzzle or muzzle brake of the rifle --- Since two of our members at our outdoor gun range...recently suffered serious finger injuries, because they held a finger too close to the muzzle brake of an SBR.

And I also prefer to lean into the rifle a little bit --- Much like a guitar player does in the standing position.

If you tend to shoot to the right of the bull (for a right handed shooter)...may I suggest trying to move your left leg to the left a little bit --- And vice versa, if you shoot too far left.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Erno86] [#30]
3 Second Drill at a 100 yard target - Or further??? (water-filled plastic gallon jug or a 6" or 8" diameter AR500 steel gong)

Hold the rifle about waist height (with muzzle pointed roughly at the target) bring it up and into your shoulder pocket, aim and shoot --- All within 3 seconds.

"Quigley Down Under"
Quigley Down Under (2/11) Movie CLIP - A Good Shot (1990) HD
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I prefer iron peep sights while target shooting in the offhand/standing field position. I like using an iron front sight circle, crosshair aperture. Using a magnified riflescope (especially high magnification), seems to reveal more muzzle shake than would I care to admit.

Mounting the rifle to your shoulder pocket:

Bring the rifle up and somewhat forward of your shoulder pocket (a 1/2", inch or so???) --- Then pull the rifle straight into your shoulder pocket. This procedure tries to avoid the rifle catching on your shirt... or any load bearing equipment (LBE) on your chest. It especially avoids the buttstock from hitting your earmuffs (if wearing them). If you hit your ear muffs while mounting the rifle to your shoulder pocket --- You're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Elbow propped against the chest (see above) or arm wrapped by a target sling. You won't shoot precisely without triangulation and isometric-style  positioning.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Shooting is about 90% mental --- That is... at least for me.

If you want to take a break with offhand shooting while standing vertical: Just sit down in a chair, and shoot the rifle like you were standing up, with only your arms and hands supporting the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Cap3912:
Shoot some hi-power matches.  Shortest off-hand range is 200 yards.  
View Quote

Last time I shot hi-power I put a 30-06 round into the 200 yard berm.   I need to work out more.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak] [#35]
Originally Posted By Gunmonster:
It really, really helps to have an excellent trigger. Remember, at 100, 200, 300 yards you are not going to hold on the target. You will have to pop the shot off as your cross-hairs pass over the target. If you need to apply too much pressure or have too much trigger travel you'll move the gun just when you need it to be as still as possible.

Having zero adrenaline in your veins helps too.
View Quote

Dry fire!

Keep practicing until you can hold within the target.

Then keep practicing until you can hold on progressively smaller circles on the target.

I shoot NRA Silhouette at 200, 300, 385, and 500 meters, off hand, there are no rings, only a hit or a miss, so your idea of 'target' may be a little different but the concept is the same. If your target has a black inner circle, make that your aim point.

Find a scope that will focus down to whatever distance you can shoot at in your home. I can stand in the foyer 30' from a target on the wall in my living room. A Leupold BR and BR-D will focus that close. Keep a rifle adjusted to this distance where you can get to it easily. Dry fire every day, even if it is only for 10 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top