Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2014 8:00:17 PM EDT
I'm committed to Safariland because of the attachments on my belt.  I want to use my XDM 5.25 in 3 gun.  I already have a Safariland 5198 Open Top Concealment holster which is great for Steel and IDPA matches because there is no level 2 retention and the tension can be set for quick draw.  Safariland makes a 6378 ALS holster with level 2 retention.  Its for the XDM 4.5, not the 5.25...but I might be able to dremel out the bottom so the longer barrel sticks through.  You guys that have been there, done that...is a level 2 retention holster the way to go for 3 gun to reduce the chances of the handgun jumping out while running around or do you just crank down the retention on your level 1 (no release switch) holster?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer some level of retention on a holster due to the things you mentioned (running, crawling through obstacles, fast movements, etc.).  I've managed to stay competitive.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I like my Blade Tech WRS Lelel II, level one can be tightened down beyond the point that is practical while still offering a level two that is optional.  Not real fond of most level two styles that engage automatically, even though some are excellent systems, all it takes is a brain fade.  In my mind, if I put it on, I just might remember to take it off.  I almost never engage the level two and their release is actually not the best executed system in my book anyway.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a Bladetech DOH holster for 3 gun and USPSA.  There is no level 2 retention, but you can crank the screws down and it will hold tight while still having a fast draw.  I've never had a single problem with it coming loose during any kind of movement.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
I use a Bladetech DOH holster for 3 gun and USPSA.  There is no level 2 retention, but you can crank the screws down and it will hold tight while still having a fast draw.  I've never had a single problem with it coming loose during any kind of movement.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
After seeing a couple of my friends DQ due to dropping pistols, I switched to a Lvl2 holster. I shot a match last month were I fell while running with the shotgun. I maintained control of the shotgun, and kept it pointed in a safe direction, but am pretty sure that the Lvl2 saved me from being DQed.

Talking to a few friends on Facebook today that are either shooting or ROing Area 6 3gun today, there were a few DQ's due to dropped pistols today.

I wouldn't say it's something you have to have unless you are really pushing yourself, running, ducking, and diving into things.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Blade Tech DOH WRS for 3 gun... I had to lengthen the spring loaded retention strap as it did not clear the aftermarket sights I have on my G34... pic is of original thumb release, spring loaded hood

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I run a retention holster as I have seen too many guns of people who crank down the kydex loose their gun when it comes
Out of the holster.   The retention is piece of mind and dosent slow you down.  Your not making a big difference with the difference in draw speed
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using the Safariland 6004. I'm a fan of how I can choose to have either level 1 or 2 retention depending on how the stage is. There are numerous other holsters that will perform similar.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JesseTischauser] [#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Get Level 2.  

When you have a stage that requires a 40 yard dash with your pistol "hot", you will enjoy the security of the Level 2.

I stuff my 2011 in a Bladetech WRS.  I also put the optional Bladetech wing nut tension screws on mine.  This allows you to loosen or tighten your holster tension very quickly without pulling the holster off your belt.

On "stand and deliver" stages, I leave the thumb retention forward and loosen the tension screws for a faster draw.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Blade-Tech also offers a longer hood for the retention strap so that it will fit aftermarket sights.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Does this count ?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARinKCMO] [#13]
I want to go Open since going Open in USPSA.  My pistol of course is in a Safariland 014.  I need to go practice some of the running and crawling that comes up in 3-Gun and see if that setup will work.  If it doesn't, I might have to see about doing something crazy like getting a M&P CORE with an RMR on top...

(That, and I still have to convert my old 1100 into a proper 3-Gun shotgun.)

Otherwise, yeah my SP01 in a Blade-Tech DOH served just fine in many a 3-Gun match.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure if L2 retention is necessary...
Any 3-gun matches I've shot your handgun holstered mag in EMPTY chamber unless it's the first gun you're going to use in a CoF.
"Hot" guns are never re-holstered anyway...

If your pistol is the 2nd or 3rd gun to be deployed... You draw, rack and start shooting. When done you make it safe and dump it or... If it's the last gun used, unload show clear to the RO and holster

So... Dropping a pistol out of a holster that had been made ready under the supervision of an RO... Mag in chamber empty isn't a DQ.
At least where I've shot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toothandnail] [#15]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
Not sure if L2 retention is necessary...
Any 3-gun matches I've shot your handgun holstered mag in EMPTY chamber unless it's the first gun you're going to use in a CoF.

If your pistol is the 2nd or 3rd gun to be deployed... You draw, rack and start shooting. When done you make it safe and dump it or... If it's the last gun used, unload show clear to the RO and holster

So... Dropping a pistol out of a holster that had been made ready under the supervision of an RO... Mag in chamber empty isn't a DQ.
At least where I've shot.
View Quote

Here in the USA (mid west primarily) Pistol is rarely ever NOT hot, only if going prone on a stage before the pistol portion of a stage, or the rare stage that loading the pistol is required by the stage description.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:

View Quote

Though rarely needed, by 3GN rules you can re-holster your pistol and re-use it later in the stage if you wish.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen too many DQ's due to pistols falling out of the holster due to not having retention beyond just tension.  Go with level 2.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I remolded a G-Code to fit my SP-01. The passive retention is only a hair more than non-existent, and the release is instant. Drawing from it feels like the gun was hovering next to my hip.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Originally Posted By alemonkey:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Not to necro post too badly, but a Safariland GLS isn't a bad way to go. It doesn't take any effort or time to unlock it, you don't have the accidental discharge issues that some have had with the Blackhawk Serpa's, but it stays tight until you need to draw. After some practice with mine, i'm nearly as fast with the GLS as I am with my Safariland 014.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer a Safariland 6377/6378 with a QLS hanger.  Positive retention simply by dropping the gun in the holster, with no worries of it coming out, and still a very fast draw.  It's a 3gun stage--they usually take 40 to 100 seconds to complete.  My pistol draw being slowed down a tenth of a second is worth it to me to know that I won't drop my pistol out of my holster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
level 2 is unnecessary unless you're running long distances
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a Uncle Mike’s kydex with a QLS hanger. The uncle Mike’s has a twist to draw feature that I like for my xdm 5.25
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I use a Uncle Mike’s kydex with a QLS hanger. The uncle Mike’s has a twist to draw feature that I like for my xdm 5.25
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Is that a double alpha holster
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top