Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2014 4:51:25 PM EDT
Obviously this is the last subject to skimp on, however, I am trying to acquire the best option at a reasonable price.

Lets take price out of it and say, what eye/ear protection do you use or recommend?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Eyes:

Rudy Project

https://www.e-rudy.com/en/secureauth/login

(Code "SHOOT" gives you 25% off)

Ears

Muffs:

TCI DEHP. (These are upgraded MSA Sordin units)

http://www.tacticalcommandstore.com/tci-dehp-digital-electronic-hearing-protection.aspx

Most folks can get a good cheek weld with those on.

Inside the ear:

Surefire Sonic Defenders

http://www.surefire.com/ep4-sonic-defenders-plus.html

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:38:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#2]
Eyes: As I get older my visual acuity is not improving, although my distance vision is still good (had PRK done 20 years ago). I have started wearing clear shooting glasses, which cause my pupils to close down and let me see a crisper sight image (I am running an Aimpoint 2MOA ML3 on my rifle and fiber optic irons on my pistol/shotgun). Although I have several nice pairs of Oakley sunglasses, I stopped buying expensive clear glasses as they do get scratched up from time to time. Instead I find the Howard Leight brand to be a perfect fit for me, and the price ($10) is definitely right. When they get scratched in my field of vision, I simply replace them and relegate the old ones to secondary use.

Ears: I wear Dillon HP1 muffs over custom-molded in-ear plug (molded without the string loop so as not to touch the inside of the muffs). Not a fancy arrangement but very effective. The HP1 ear cups are slightly relieved to work with shouldered long guns, and the plugs give me added protection if the muffs do shift during a stage.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Inside the ear.....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A28OW6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glasses Rudy project II
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the surefire ep4.. They are fantastic!!

Even while shooting I am not disturbed by the crack or loud sound of the rifle.

They gig my ear like a glove, yet I still don't hear people like they advertise, but it's totally worth the price range!!

+1 for surefire!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I am using an old pair of standard safety glasses I had made up for SASS (cowboy shooting) some years back.  These were made with the left lens set for distance only, while the right lens is for close-up only and was somewhat set to the center of my various front, rifle/pistol, sight positions when positioned for shooting.   I do not understand the concept of what is going on with idea of using them with the much closer lens of a scope but they seem to work ok there also.  I have likely gone well past this old prescription and need to look into something newer but hate dealing with doctors who do not know or understand the concepts of what we are doing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Electronic peltor muffs
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like the ear plugs that were issued to me in the military.  They are the tri-flange style with a green side and a yellow side.  One side has the small hole in it to allow some frequencies through while the other does not.  I find these to be very comfortable and provide just as much hearing protection as over the ears.

This link is pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#9]
I double up on ear protection

USGI style ear plugs, and electronic muffs

OAKLEY  

I always liked the VR28( polarized) lens, but I think they stopped making it.

I also have some clear that get more use as I get older

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Glasses I prefer about anything from the Pila brand  and for ears I use injection molded silicone plugs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top