Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 2/21/2012 11:49:43 AM EST
New to three gun stuff, i am trying to decide between a Glock 34 or an XDM 5.25? Pros and Cons for either? I know i really cant go wrong either way.

Thank you.

Nate
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 12:15:29 PM EST
I don't think you can go wrong either way like you said. The 5.25 is a very good package. It already comes with FO sights match barrel etc. The Glock on the other hand you will have to build up yourself. I have a G34 and love it. I have Dawson Precision FO sights and it was ready to rock. I will eventually get a ZEV trigger for it once I get off my ass.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:03:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 2:56:48 PM EST
Try both in the and and see which fits/points better for you. I dislike the full-size Glocks because they point high for me (I'm an old 1911 dog) - I run an M&P9 Pro.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:09:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2012 9:11:50 PM EST by Glockfan]
Originally Posted By Hellioncobra:
New to three gun stuff, i am trying to decide between a Glock 34 or an XDM 5.25? Pros and Cons for either? I know i really cant go wrong either way.

Thank you.

Nate

Glock all the way. I have seen XD's have parts break on them in matches and while stuff happens, when it happens to a Springfield you have to send it back to the factory as they will not sell you parts. Glock has a much better track record and as much better support. Go Glock!
Oh the grip safety on the XD has caused many a competator to have a bad stage when firing weak handed. (not depressing the grip safety far enough to fire)
As for the grip angle the new Gen 4 is improved in this regard and feels more like a 1911 with an arched main spring housing.
Pat
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 11:20:47 AM EST
If the grip angle on the Glock is a hold up there are several places that can change,straighten, slim the grip. Gripreductions.com did mine. There is a pic of in the thread on top.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 4:52:49 PM EST
XDM for the win!!!!! These are great pistols right out of the box unlike the glock which will require some aftermarket parts just to match up with the XDM.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 11:26:39 PM EST
Glock.

My experience with the XDm (40 cal) is frequent failures to feed with certain ammo types. I sold it after I had two failures to feed in a match.

As has been pointed out, both can use new triggers and sights. The stock XDm trigger didn't do anything for me. I prefer the Glock trigger hands down.

Link Posted: 3/7/2012 2:37:04 PM EST
Personally I’m a huge fan of the XDm. I’ve got a 5.25 .40, I picked up last fall that I use for competition and a I own 3.8 compact .40 that I’ve carried daily for about 2 years. I’ve got a couple thousand rounds through both and have yet to have any type of malfunction whatsoever. Almost exclusively if you see someone dogging on the XDm’s being unreliable, they are usually just serious Glock fans. It’s a Ford vs. Chevy thing to them, I don’t get it. For reliability I don’t think you can go wrong with either the XDm, the M&P or the Glock. For me the factory XDm trigger is leaps and bounds better than Glock, but like others said both could be better. I have nothing against Glocks, they are fine pistols and I’ve owned 2, but they just never worked for me. First one I bought (G17), I bought on impulse just cause everyone said I had to get a Glock, then got the compact (G19) to carry. Compared to my 1911’s, I couldn’t hit shit with them. Came to eventually find out I just couldn’t shoot the damn things. Not the guns fault, I’m sure if that’s all I shot I could have eventually learned to like it. Then ran into a guy with a new HK USP .40 that he bought on an impulse buy (lesson learned)to find out he didn’t like the recoil of the .40, we did some horse trading and I ended up with the USP. Then later I traded the G19 for an HK 2000c. Was shooting the H&K’s for a few years until I got to shoot a buddies XDm, as soon as I did the HK’s went down the road. First the 2000 to buy the 3.8 and later the USP to buy the 5.25. Out of all the pistols I’ve owned (except 1911’s) the XDm’s are the easiest to shoot well for me.

Don’t let anyone on an internet forum convince you what handgun you should buy. That’s like asking someone you’ve never met how you should dress or what kind of girl you should marry. Do yourself a favor and shoot everything you can, before you make up your mind.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 7:13:46 PM EST
My biggest issue with XD's is the lack of customer support from Springfield on these guns. What happens if something breaks they make you send it in instead of sending you the parts. This is expensive from Alaska. I am a Glock fan but I also like a lot of other guns. XD's in fairness can run ok but I do see more problems with them than Glocks. I hate the long reset on the stock trigger. The bore axis is high. The magazine base plates break when dropped onto our ranges concrete floor with regularity. They are a viable option but not the best option in my opinion. I believe the Glock and M&P are the best polimer guns going right now.
Pat
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:12:18 AM EST
personally I like the XDM and this is from someone who carried a Glock for 15 plus years and shot competitively with a Glock for a number of years. But like several others have pointed out, do yourself a favor and find a range that rents guns and try them out for yourself.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:26:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/25/2012 9:30:24 AM EST by DesignatedMarksman]
I just got the 5.25. It's like easy mode.

ETA: Anybody that says Springfield doesn't have good customer service is nuts. They will bend over backward to make anything right. I have an OLD Hakko scope with their brand on it. The glass started rotating, I called them, they sent a shipping label, took it back, fixed it, and sent it back to me for free. They haven't offered those scopes in 15 years.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 11:42:32 AM EST
Hellioncobra... I don't know your shooting background, but would suggest if you don't already shoot USPSA, that you go to a match.... once to observe and ask questions...and then compete in a couple... follow a squad that has a good mix of Glock, M&P, and XDs, and ask questions to the guys/gals that look like they know what they are doing...you really need to have solid pistol skills before you shoot 3 gun... it makes old range officers happy
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 2:01:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By scrampop:
XDM for the win!!!!! These are great pistols right out of the box unlike the glock which will require some aftermarket parts just to match up with the XDM.

Hardly. A Glock out of the box is one pistol you can depend on. An XD while not so bad is not as good. Issues with durability, poor trigger reset, high bore axis all come to mind.
Pat
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 5:01:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Glockfan:

Hardly. A Glock out of the box is one pistol you can depend on. An XD while not so bad is not as good. Issues with durability, poor trigger reset, high bore axis all come to mind.
Pat

You said XD in your post, and there I would agree with you, maybe. But out of the box, the XDM has significant advantages over the Glock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:44:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By Cavalry99:

Pat

You said XD in your post, and there I would agree with you, maybe. But out of the box, the XDM has significant advantages over the Glock.

Shot both and I much prefer the Glock for reasons already stated above. What in your mind is the XDM's significant advantages?
Pat
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:41:01 AM EST

Pat

Shot both and I much prefer the Glock for reasons already stated above. What in your mind is the XDM's significant advantages?
Pat

Out of the box? Better trigger, better sights.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 1:09:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/26/2012 3:41:38 PM EST by Glockfan]

Pat

Pat

Out of the box? Better trigger, better sights.

The sights I will give you but a set of fiber optics is easy to install. Don't agree at all on the trigger. I don't care for the long reset on the XD's and the XD'ms. I would rather have a stock Glock trigger than a stock XDM trigger. The Walther PPQ and the Glock have the best triggers going on polimer striker fired guns. But to each his own. The XDM is a very servicable pistol that works fine for three gun.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:07:55 AM EST
My biggest issue with XD's is the lack of customer support from Springfield on these guns. What happens if something breaks they make you send it in instead of sending you the parts. This is expensive from Alaska. I am a Glock fan but I also like a lot of other guns. XD's in fairness can run ok but I do see more problems with them than Glocks. I hate the long reset on the stock trigger. The bore axis is high. The magazine base plates break when dropped onto our ranges concrete floor with regularity. They are a viable option but not the best option in my opinion. I believe the Glock and M&P are the best polimer guns going right now.
Pat

Yea that’s way off. I own 3 XDs and I’ve never had a malfunction out of any except one. The mags would fall out when I fired, I started this the day I bought it and it was one of the first XD.45s. Since I had another one I just put it up and didn’t use it. A few months ago (7 or 8 years later) I decided to try to call Springfield about it. I told them the problem, how long ago I purchased the pistol and everything. The emailed me a shipping label for and a number to call to have it picked up from my house. Then after tuning the mag catch and checking everything else the sent it back next day, also for free. Total down time was a week and it was all free. You don’t get much better than that. Also as for reliability I've run these hard in mud, sand and snow with even the crappiest ammo and I’ve never had a hiccup. To top it off they consistently shoot quarter sized groups at 7-10 yards while any non-modded Glock I've seen couldn’t manage smaller than a soft sized group. All 3 are .45 by the way and I'm about to order an XDM 5.25 9mm this week. Glock’s aren’t bad pistols and I like them but they aren’t as good out of the ox as an XD.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:32:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2012 11:05:21 AM EST by Glockfan]
Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:
Pat

Yea that’s way off. I own 3 XDs and I’ve never had a malfunction out of any except one. The mags would fall out when I fired, I started this the day I bought it and it was one of the first XD.45s. Since I had another one I just put it up and didn’t use it. A few months ago (7 or 8 years later) I decided to try to call Springfield about it. I told them the problem, how long ago I purchased the pistol and everything. The emailed me a shipping label for and a number to call to have it picked up from my house. Then after tuning the mag catch and checking everything else the sent it back next day, also for free. Total down time was a week and it was all free. You don’t get much better than that. Also as for reliability I've run these hard in mud, sand and snow with even the crappiest ammo and I’ve never had a hiccup. To top it off they consistently shoot quarter sized groups at 7-10 yards while any non-modded Glock I've seen couldn’t manage smaller than a soft sized group. All 3 are .45 by the way and I'm about to order an XDM 5.25 9mm this week. Glock’s aren’t bad pistols and I like them but they aren’t as good out of the ox as an XD.

Not in my experience. XD's have not been that accurate for me. (4-5 inch groups at 25 yards While Glocks are from 2 to 4 inches for me). Glocks are much more reliable in my experience as well. Not saying the XD sucks but its not up to the same level as Glock. But that is a high bar.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:58:58 AM EST
I prefer Glock but I highly recommend you rent each at a range, borrow from someone who owns either, or buy both. If you buy both decide which to keep and which to sell. You need to discover which shoots better in YOUR hand and then decide. Only way to go IMO. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 12:22:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By PFC_Dustin:
Pat

Not in my experience. XD's have not been that accurate for me. (4-5 inch groups at 25 yards While Glocks are from 2 to 4 inches for me). Glocks are much more reliable in my experience as well. Not saying the XD sucks but its not up to the same level as Glock. But that is a high bar.
Pat

That could just be the grip angle. If you’re used to a Glock it would be better for you, but the Glock angle is too steep for a lot of people. Most Glock owners I know concede that XDs are more accurate out of the box. The XDs have much tighter tolerances which you can feel when you rack the slide. The Glock is loose and has some play in it and it’s easy to pull back, the XDs have no play at all and are pretty hard to rack until you get used to it. You’ll find the same thing in higher end 1911s. I can't attest to the 9mm but with .40 and .45 I've never seen any reliability issues. I think Glock might be more reliable just because of tolerances built into them and they're pretty sealed up, but the XD like I said is pretty dead reliable. Also you can shoot lead .45s in an XD, but they seem to blow up Glocks, which says a lot to me. I do like Glocks so don’t get me wrong but I think the XD line out classes it a bit. It’s almost like an AK vs. AR debate only the AR has actual reliability issues.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 12:12:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2012 12:13:04 AM EST by Glockfan]
[/quote]

That could just be the grip angle. If you’re used to a Glock it would be better for you, but the Glock angle is too steep for a lot of people. Most Glock owners I know concede that XDs are more accurate out of the box. The XDs have much tighter tolerances which you can feel when you rack the slide. The Glock is loose and has some play in it and it’s easy to pull back, the XDs have no play at all and are pretty hard to rack until you get used to it. You’ll find the same thing in higher end 1911s. I can't attest to the 9mm but with .40 and .45 I've never seen any reliability issues. I think Glock might be more reliable just because of tolerances built into them and they're pretty sealed up, but the XD like I said is pretty dead reliable. Also you can shoot lead .45s in an XD, but they seem to blow up Glocks, which says a lot to me. I do like Glocks so don’t get me wrong but I think the XD line out classes it a bit. It’s almost like an AK vs. AR debate only the AR has actual reliability issues.

[/quote]

Dustin with respect all polimer guns have the play you talk about. I have shot XD's that belonged to friends quite a bit. They are not tighter and they are not more accurate. In fact in my experience they were less so when compared to a Glock in the same caliber. Your making statements that I have found not to be the case on the guns I have handled. I have owned and do own higher end 1911's and there is no comparision. You can also shoot lead in Glocks just get an after market barrel. The reason Glocks are not good with lead is the poligonal rifling which gives Glocks higher velocity but this style of rifling does not work with lead. That is not a gun issue and you can shoot lead with a barrel swap.
Also quality AR's don't have reliability issues. With the whole AK vs AR debate AR's are a lot more reliable than people give them credit for and AK's are more accurate than people give them credit for.
I would also becareful about speaking for most people about grip angle. I have trained a lot of fellow officers on Glocks and most do fine with the grip angle. Its cool you like XD's but you seem to have a lot of misconceptions about Glocks and AR's for that matter.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 1:42:58 AM EST
I have a Glock 34 and Springfield XDm, both customized, and whenever I feel like shooting a polymer gun, guess which one I take (my XDm is for sale...)?
Top Top