Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2017 1:07:30 PM EDT
So, I've recently gotten into 3gun, and i'm getting all my new gear for it. I've found that 3gun has really helped my gun manipulation skills, and even helps to apply some pressure I wouldn't normally get practicing under normal circumstances. Pressure *always* changes things.

I've got my new rifle purchased (purchased parts, waiting on final parts to be coated and then going to build it). Now I'm saving up and about to purchase my second major piece of gear, the pistol.

I have three real requirements for the pistol. First requirement is that it work well for 3 gun. Most of the club shoots i've done are what I would refer to as "medium range" for a pistol. 7-20 yard shots mostly. So its got to be fairly accurate at those types of ranges. Now, I know that most decent pistols are going to be more accurate than the shooter, but I would still like to put a little money into this.

My second requirement is that I also shoot IDPA, and it needs to be legal for at least one category in IDPA. I'm not to worried about being competitive in IDPA, as its mostly just something I shoot in the winter between 3gun club shoots in the spring, summer and fall.

My last requirement is feasibility as a "camping/open carry" gun. This means that the gun is going to function with minimal maintenance in somewhat adverse conditions. I more than likely won't be crawling around in the sands of Afghanistan, or anything like that, but I would like it to last a long time without significant work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Those three requirements, along with my own personal preferences, has narrowed my choices down to two pistols. Both are well known for being good competition related pistols, I have experience with both platforms, and one of them is known for real durability.

The first one I'm considering is the Springfield XD-M 5.25 Competition model. It comes with most of the things I would need to get started, and I only plan on doing minor modifications to it. I do plan on adding the springer precision CCP magwell to it, which from everything I've read still fits in the IDPA box. I plan on doing their "action tune up" and combat trigger, just to clean it up. Other than that, nothing to the gun itself. I've found a few holsters I like (the Comp-Tac International and the Holsterco Variant w/SLS Hood Kit) for both competition and "camping/open carry". I also already own and carry the XD-M 3.8 Compact on a very regular basis, and thats what I'm currently using in IDPA and 3-gun, but hoping this will be a good step up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The other pistol i'm considering is the Beretta 92A1. Now, this one I've had some problems with, not the gun, but in trying to purchase one. I've found a TON of people trying to sell one, and then when I look closely, its actually a M9A1 or a 92FS or something. Its really pretty frustrating. A few of the things I really like about it, it fits in my hand so freaking well, and I really like the fixed / locking block setup for the barrel. I've seen some of the original testing for longevity for this pistol, and it's parts can last a LONG time. It has gotten a bad rap with some people because of issued M9's that were never (or rarely) serviced. Or had third party parts used on them that failed. The only things holding me back from this one is that I will have to have a fair amount of custom work done, such as getting the action cleaned up, new front and rear sights, and *definitely* going to a "G" style decocker. Holsters seem to be a slight bit more of a problem, since alot of people get the 92A1, the 92FS, and the M9A1 confused and think they are interchangeable.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The way I see it, the differences are:
XD-M has better magazine capacity
XD-M has longer sight radius
XD-M comes with most basics needed
XD-M has ability to share magazines with current firearm
Beretta is potentially more accurate
Beretta is potentially more durable / longer life-span
Beretta has better ergonomics for me
Beretta is less obtrusive as an open carry / camping gun
Beretta will have slightly less muzzle flip

Anyone shoot either of those two in competition? Have any thoughts, good or bad, about either? I've looked at several others, thought about the Glock 17 long slide, but wasn't thrilled with it. I did look at the Sig Sauer P320 X-Five, and it was very nice, and I did think about adding it to the list, but just something held me back from it. There were a few others (like the M&P), but I just wasn't thrilled by them.

I also apologize for the series of posts, but it won't let me post it all in one...
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Glock 17/22 34/35 is the answer you seek!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock 17/22 34/35 is the answer you seek!
View Quote
FPNI.

And since ARFCOM hates 40 S&W, 17 or better yet, 34.

The G34 is probably the most widely used 3G gun, at least in my area.

The only caveat would be if you have a particular pistol you actually (plan to) carry, then I'd shoot IDPA at least with that for IDPA.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Just get a Glock 34 and be done with it.

Then switch from IDPA to USPSA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock 34
S&W Core
Sig P320 X5

These  are able to be worked on easily  and parts and accessories are easy to find and plentiful.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock 34
S&W Core
Sig P320 X5

These  are able to be worked on easily  and parts and accessories are easy to find and plentiful.
View Quote
Whichever of these 3 fit you best is the answer
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely NOT the Beretta 92 - for 3-Gun you should stick with a 9mm striker-fired gun, preferably with a long sight radius. The Glock 34 is a solid choice, but will point differently from your XD carry gun so probably not a wise one. I personally prefer the M&P 5" guns, but both 1.0 and 2.0 really need an Apex trigger (DCAEK for IDPA or FSS for USPSA Limited/3-Gun), and 1.0 needs an Apex barrel too. There are other good options in this categrory, depending on your preferences and budget.

To be frank, as you are already into the XD platform and carry one for personal protection, the XD-M 5.25 in 9mm is the obvious choice. IMHO it might not be absolutely my first choice (does not fit MY hand well), but you won't lose the match because of it. This does not seem like the hardest decision to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top