Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 2:49:18 PM EDT
What's the advantages/disadvantages to running a reduced power guide rod spring in a pistol?

I currently run a Heavy Tungsten Rod (HTR) with 17lb spring in my Glock 34. I'm thinking about a HTR wth a 13lb spring
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
it depends on your loads, if you are shooting factory ammo I would stick with the factory spring. 

if you are shooting USPSA minor and reloading you can tune your recoil spring to match your load helps reduce muzzle flip

same thing if you are shooting subminor in 3gun
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm running Keystone Munitions 147gr FMJ, with the velocity about 970FPS
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
with that ammo you could experiment and probably drop down a pound or 3

where do you shoot in PA? Are you shooting Ontelaunee next weekend?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in NE Philly. Usually I shoot at Langhorne..... right now my schedule makes it hard to shoot other places... I did make Hamburg in June and Trijicon 3M3G in July
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't have any problems running a 13 pound spring with a tungsten or steel guide rod and factory (federal) ammo in my 34 or 17
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Tuning the spring to the load
1) allows for more manageable recoil
2) allows the slide to settle flat at the end of the recoil movement with less grip. An over sprung slide will close so hard the front of the gun will dip down if the grip is not capable of overcoming it.

The less violent the recoil (slide rear and forward), the easier it is to keep everything lined up and the faster the sights can be back on target.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
142.5 PF is a fairly "hot" load for minor.

You're probably looking at a 14-15# spring at that PF.

I think 135 PF and a 13# spring is the sweet spot for a Glock.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
wtturn thats right where I’m at
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top