Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2017 11:31:46 AM EDT
Hey all,
Question for the group.    End of last season, on the last stage I was faced with the 2 plate spinner with my pistol.   Now granted, a lot of the problem was probably my shooting, but, had a devil of a time with it and never did get the thing over.   After talking about it with a couple of my squad mates one of the guys revealed that he always keeps a mag full of 147 gr ball nose in the bag for just such an occasion because he felt they hit harder.

Seemed to make sense to me as I was loaded up with nothing but 115 gr round nose for the typical knockdowns and paper that we normally see.    However, I also do my own reloading and in the process of digging into the numbers  I find that the typical 115 gr ball has more muzzle energy than the 147gr due to the higher velocity.   Anywhere from 35-55 ft-lb more depending on the load etc.

Now, I can see the advantages of speed vs mass when it comes to penetration, shooting over longer distances etc. but for steel plates at 7 - 10 yards where penetration isn't an issue and loss of velocity is negligible ( I assume,   Is it negligible?) Doesn't it make more sense that the faster 115 gr bullet should impart more energy to the spinner?

When faced with a spinner and a pistol, what do you guys shoot?    Should I have a mag full of +P on standby?

I'm shooting an M&P 9 Pro with 5 inch barrel and TTI mag extensions.   I was also shooting Freedom Munitions re-loads and I don't know the numbers on those.   Maybe the Freedom Munitions 115 gr loads are a little too soft for a spinner?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I spin them no problem with 124gr, 130PF loads. Timing and making hits is everything. Heavier bullets will help a bit, but no substitute for marksmanship. Check out sinistralrifleman's YouTube video showing how to do it
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spin them no problem with 124gr, 130PF loads. Timing and making hits is everything. Heavier bullets will help a bit, but no substitute for marksmanship. Check out sinistralrifleman's YouTube video showing how to do it
View Quote
Marksmanship and timing is everything with the spinner.

Personally, I've got several hundred rounds of old 147gr Hydra-Shock which isn't good for much but it offers fairly high velocity compared to my "barely minor PF with a tailwind" 147gr match loads.  These are my go-to for the spinner.

Typically six rounds will do it:  Three double taps alternating between the top and bottom at a fairly slow split time.  Pop-pop - transition - pop-pop - transition - pop-pop.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Spinner is all about timing and the marksmanship to make hits at exactly the right time.

Higher energy helps.  Ke=1/2mv^2
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember a spinner that guys were struggling to spin with shotgun a few years back at FN.

No restrictions other than 6 shot or smaller.

One 3in federal flight control turkey load spun it from 35+ yards.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Like has been said it is all about timing and making your hits.  A triple tap top then bottom gets it over very fast but you need to be hitting it when it is going away from you on the end you are shooting and is as close to orthogonal as possible.  

I first shot one at a match with my Limited gun shooting major PF rounds and went through a 20 round mag before I got it to spin.  Now I mostly use a 9mm and a lot less round.

Also, Momentum (Power factor) matters more than energy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top