Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2016 5:35:00 PM EDT
Im looking into getting a mag well for my Gen2 glock 17. I've never purchased one so I don't have any experience with them. I know a hand full of people make them in every material from polymer, and aluminum to stainless steel and brass. They main ones I've been seeing that look promising are from Zev, Dawson precision, Taran Tactical, and carver. Are there any I didn't list that I should look into? Is getting a heavier one to add weight to the gun useful in our sport or something more light weight? I don't think my pistol shooting is at the point that I will notice much difference with adding weight but I also would rather buy once and know that what I have will be useful when my talent grows. Any advice or suggestions are welcomed, especially if you have experience with these different products. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Heavier is better. Soaks up recoil even if you won't notice it. I really like the Zev heavy brass with the large insert. Adds 7.9ozs. I've had mine on the gun for 3 years, and it still looks new. It also rides a little higher than some of the others, which helps put my hand in the right place every time, even if I didn't get a great grip when grabbing from the holster, it forces my hand onto the right position.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with ALG.  The profile was not as huge and out there, it has large brass weight but maybe not has heavy as the rest.  It is very friendly to seating and removing factory mags as well.  I needed 4 of them, while not the cheapest it was cheaper than the others thought were close to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the Dawson on my G34 and my 2011s. Heavy enough to dampen some of the recoil and the plastic insert can be replaced when it gets beat up. I prefer heavier. Dampens recoil for faster shot to shot recovery (faster double/triple-taps).
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I've also been wondering the same thing for my new gen 4 Glock 34. First dedicated competition pistol mostly for multigun. I've looked at the ALG, Carter, Dawson and SJC. SJC is on top of my list because they have a nice heavy weight magwell (heaviest I've seen pretty sure) and ALG because honestly I like how it looks. It doesn't seem ZEV still makes their older heavy weight model, but some online retailers have them.

Man I wish some of these forums were more active :/
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
ZEV for me. You can select from different weights as well. Second choice would be Dawson ICE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top