Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 1:34:59 AM EDT
I'm am currently struggling on deciding between the cz p09 and the Steyr l9 for a beginning 3 gun handgun. Both at a local gun shop for $470. I'm wanting a good trigger and good muzzle control. I'm sticking in this price range and I don't want to spend a lot of money on upgrades. If I get good enough at competition I'll eventually spend good money on a nicer competion gun. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the P09, or spend a few more and get a SP-01.   CZ is a GTG platform to run stock, and mag prices are not bad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want the honest answer, NEITHER. Both are really poor choices for 3-Gun.

The P09 has a manual safety that must be applied before legal abandonment. If you forget, or if the safety gets swiped off, then you will likely be DQ'd (or at best get a hefty penalty).

The Steyr is an unpopular platform meaning that there will be zero aftermarket competition-oriented accessory support.

For your price range you can easily find a Glock 17 or S&W M&P9 (my choice). Both are dump-and-run for quick no-penalty abandonment, both are proven reliable, and both have a rich array of upgrade options. I started with a basic M&P9, then added upgrades over time... now I have a 3-Gun optimized pistol that rivals double-stack 1911 competition guns for less than 1/3 the price.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I 2nd the Glock or the MP... Better investment for what you want.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are looking for something real cheap pick up a used Glock 17 or M&P FS 9mm. If buying something new, try out a Glock 34, M&P Pro 9mm or a XDm 5.25 in 9mm. See which one YOU like, not what I or anyone else on this board likes. All are good for 3 gun, but only YOU know what fits and shoots best for YOU.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info...I'm going with the cz p09. Its got a great sa trigger, 19+1 capacity stock (no need to buy expensive baseplates for higher capacity), and I like how the slide rides inside the frame (seems to help control muzzle rise, to me at least). And as far as the safety issue goes, I'm sure I'll be fine. It seems like tons of competitors use 2011's and due just fine with the safety.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd suggest always dropping the mag and racking it clear then.  Too many 2011 shooters have been DQed for safeties coming off.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Why dont you be a the cool guy and get a wather p08 or a luger and trick it out?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Or you could get a 9mm ar pistol and get a sig brace :)
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Fine choice on the P09.. Don't turn into another Glock homer.  Make sure you let Cajun Gun Works do their magic on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+2. I would rather borrow a pistol than waste money on either of your options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2. I would rather borrow a pistol than waste money on either of your options.

+10,000----and its ready to run OTB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top