Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2014 11:33:03 AM EDT
Looking for opinions on Level 2 retention holsters for routine use in 3 Gun.

I currently run a CompTac for my Glock and a Blade Tech OWB for my 2011.  I've got them tightened down so hard, the draw is difficult.  

Obviously, the retention will be better with the Level 2, but will it slow your draw down too much?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Has your pistol ever fallen out. Keep the current holster and set it reasonably tight. Problem likely solved.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at GCode holsters. They have a couple of different versions of Lvl2 holsters. Tried one out a couple of months ago and liked it, have been debating about getting one myself after seeing a couple of guys get DQ'd due to pistols falling out when going prone quickly. Draw is pretty natural it did take a little longer, but that could be trained away with some dry fire draws. They have tons of options for mounting the holsters to.

GCode holsters
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a look at GCode holsters. They have a couple of different versions of Lvl2 holsters. Tried one out a couple of months ago and liked it, have been debating about getting one myself after seeing a couple of guys get DQ'd due to pistols falling out when going prone quickly. Draw is pretty natural it did take a little longer, but that could be trained away with some dry fire draws. They have tons of options for mounting the holsters to.

GCode holsters
View Quote

Thanks for the link.  I've seen two pistols fall out of holsters (during a run) since the fall.  Also, I heard about a dropped pistol at the Texas state Multigun this past weekend.  It makes me second guess the tightness on my own holsters, so I cinch them down a little further.  I've never carried a holster with Level 2, but I think it might ease my mind and improve my confidence in my rig.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Safariland als holsters.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has your pistol ever fallen out. Keep the current holster and set it reasonably tight. Problem likely solved.
View Quote

Mine has, that's why I run a WRS now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine has too, I have a blade tech level II now (not the WRS).
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
pic of a BladeTech DOH WRS.... after a little practice, not much hinderance... more worried about pulling it out with a sling, or catching on a prop

with the Heinie Slant Pro to the rear of the slide, there was not a lot of clearance when the weather got a little chilly down here, so I made a hood out of kydex with more clearance

factory

MK 1 mod 1

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys pushed me over the edge. Order inbound to Blade Tech.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Run an ALS with my glock and a gcode with my 6inch 2011 mainly because they don't make an ALS for it.   The Gcode is a hair slower and you need to be more deliberate with the draw  The ALS is right there and is just as fast and is always engaged when you holster it so no need to engage the hood.  I wouldn't be worried about the draw speed as it's so minimal in a match.  That that extra quarter to half second won't matter especially if your not drawing and shooting at the drop bucket.   Seen to many dropped guns to run without retention
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Run an ALS with my glock and a gcode with my 6inch 2011 mainly because they don't make an ALS for it.   The Gcode is a hair slower and you need to be more deliberate with the draw  The ALS is right there and is just as fast and is always engaged when you holster it so no need to engage the hood.  I wouldn't be worried about the draw speed as it's so minimal in a match.  That that extra quarter to half second won't matter especially if your not drawing and shooting at the drop bucket.   Seen to many dropped guns to run without retention
View Quote

I use a WRS for 3 gun, but my regular carry holster is a ALS since i carry a full size M&P. I wish Safariland made an ALS for my 2011
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Don, ALS fits some.  What are you running specifically?  Jeff is using an ALS with his STI Tactical 5.0....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don, ALS fits some.  What are you running specifically?  Jeff is using an ALS with his STI Tactical 5.0....
View Quote

I tried a 1911 ALs with my Eagle didn't quite fit, close but not close enough.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 for the ALS
6377 I think is the one I run
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used both the Bladetech WRS and a Safariland ALS.

Personally I prefer the Safariland ALS for speed, but you won't go wrong with either.  

I like the wide range of mounting options available for the Safariland systems, but I am sure that the Bladetechs offer a similar range of mounting options also, I have just become more accustomed to Safariland products and use them for most all of my pistols and carrying options.

Best answer:  Get both!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#16]
new new safariland 7ts ALS is FAST. There are hardly any contact points and the material has nearly zero friction itself. If you can try one out at a local shop, or just grab the paddle/belt mount version of amazon, I think it's sub $40, the duty model is a lot more expensive for some reason (not sure why, don't notice much difference between that and my regular safariland duty holster).
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#17]
GLS is also awesome.
Retention holsters for 3gun STI 2011 - Safariland…: https://youtu.be/DNQVcmrYjsI

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top