Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 12:54:02 PM EDT
Just getting into 3 gun. Im looking for a shell caddy setup for twins (would be great if I could use it for quads later) that mounts to a standard 5.11 operators 1.5in belt. Does such a thing exist?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By richiemfmead:
Just getting into 3 gun. Im looking for a shell caddy setup for twins (would be great if I could use it for quads later) that mounts to a standard 5.11 operators 1.5in belt. Does such a thing exist?
View Quote

Most loaders will attach to a belt using tek lok so that would work with your belt. As for caddies, check out AP customs, Taccom, Invictus Practical, and I think bladetech and safariland make caddies too. If you are just learning, I'd go straight to quad load. It would probably only take a few hours of practice to quad load well enough to do it in a match and you could probably load twos off off most quad caddies anyway. Don't waste your time loading twos, go straight to quads
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I read the post as needing proper shell recovery for dual M2 browning's.  ok, never mind.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlphaThree:

Most loaders will attach to a belt using tek lok so that would work with your belt. As for caddies, check out AP customs, Taccom, Invictus Practical, and I think bladetech and safariland make caddies too. If you are just learning, I'd go straight to quad load. It would probably only take a few hours of practice to quad load well enough to do it in a match and you could probably load twos off off most quad caddies anyway. Don't waste your time loading twos, go straight to quads
View Quote
So I've just learned what tek lock actually is. My question is this...
When properly installed, if I mount a tek lock in between belt loops, how easy is it for the tek lock to slide side to side on the belt between the loops? Or does the tek lock squeeze the belt good and tight?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]

So I've just learned what tek lock actually is. My question is this...
When properly installed, if I mount a tek lock in between belt loops, how easy is it for the tek lock to slide side to side on the belt between the loops? Or does the tek lock squeeze the belt good and tight?
View Quote
The tek lok has a small removable piece that can be adjusted to account for different belt sizes.  if that is properly sized and your belt is tight, I think it will be fine.  It wont move around significantly but it wont be as solid as purpose competition belt with the inner/outer belt combo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Invictus loaders are great. I run 2.8's on the belt, and you can reliably dual or quad load with them. They ship with your choice of Tek-Lok, Comp-Tac, or ELS mount. I prefer comp-tac's honestly, just due to the ease of moving them around, but Tek-Lok's should hold a bit tighter.

It's also worth looking into a chest rig. I got a Taccom 20rd chest rig and like it better than belt loading by far.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Marksman1941:
Invictus loaders are great. I run 2.8's on the belt, and you can reliably dual or quad load with them. They ship with your choice of Tek-Lok, Comp-Tac, or ELS mount. I prefer comp-tac's honestly, just due to the ease of moving them around, but Tek-Lok's should hold a bit tighter.

It's also worth looking into a chest rig. I got a Taccom 20rd chest rig and like it better than belt loading by far.
View Quote
I think Im digging the invictus 2.8s. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to pick up and give a shot. Im running a 930spx with pistol grip. Is it more sensible for me to run right hand load or left? I shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]

I think Im digging the invictus 2.8s. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to pick up and give a shot. Im running a 930spx with pistol grip. Is it more sensible for me to run right hand load or left? I shoot right handed.
View Quote
There are pros and cons to both and you will see both techniques out there. Personally, I load my pistol and rifle with my left hand, so why wouldn't I load my shotgun "weak" handed as well. The loading feels more natural and the loading port is closer to the caddies..with that being said, I feel like a lot of the pros reload with strong hand. I just never felt good about it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
In theory at least, would the fact I run a pistol grip shotgun prevent me from weak hand loading? Not sure how one rolls a pistol grip gun with the strong hand.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
In theory at least, would the fact I run a pistol grip shotgun prevent me from weak hand loading? Not sure how one rolls a pistol grip gun with the strong hand.
View Quote
Yes.

Pistol grips get in the way for both weak hand and strong hand deuce or quad loading.  You could probably train around it somehow but it adds a layer of difficulty.

You could learn to weak hand from old school caddies but quads are much faster.

Can you sell your PG stock and buy a standard stock?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an Invictus Practical chest rig and the new Safariland quad caddies.

I like them both.  I don't want a belt full-up loaded with quad loading caddies.  They get in the way in awkward positions.  Kneeling, crouching, you can forget about prone with a belt full of quads.

I have the Safariland quad caddy at about 3:00 on my belt to minimize interference with movement, and so that I can go prone with no issues.

There's not a LOT of prone rifle in 3-gun, but I have seen more than a few guys get up from a rooftop prop and move on to the shotgun with 30-50% of their shells laying on the rooftop.  I'm not totally immune to that with a chest rig but it works much better for me.

Mine is called the DeTurk lite vest.  Holds 20 rounds.  On BIG shotgun stages I supplement with the Safariland caddy, and if necessary I have some AP Customs 4X4 caddies.  Retention is supreme with those older 4X4 caddies, but they are slower for me than quad loading.

I still use them, primarily to segregate slugs for mixed-ammo stages so that I don't accidentally grab a slug, and so that I don't lose a crucial slug reload to lost shells.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Tek Loks with the appropriate Taccom caddy to fit your loading style/capacity.
You may need to build up the belt a little where the TekLok mounts, IF you get any side to side sliding.
Maybe wrap some bicycle inner tube around the belt where the caddy will mount.
It would be slick if you had the correct diameter tube, cut slices about 2" long and slid them over the belt where the caddy goes. Cut more slices and build them up where needed to get a firmer grip.
An innertube of 1.5"-2" range will fit on your belt.
Any size, as long as it is in that range.
26" or even 29" x 1.5-2" would give you tons to work with.

Here is an example to give you an idea. I used this section of tube to cover the metal hardware on my sling.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I started weak hand loading due to the same mentality; left hand runs the pistol and rifle mags, and there's less overall gun movement with a weak hand shotgun reload for me. However, it was never super smooth or natural for me. The other day I tried strong hand, and within 30 minutes it felt better than the weak hand load i've been doing for months. It came down to hand position for me as well; I put my belt caddies at 1 & 2 o'clock on my belt (handgun at 3), angled 45 degrees so I didn't have to drop my shoulder to grab them properly. Currently i can get 8 rounds in about 5 seconds, but I expect that to get faster with more practice. I prefer to carry shotgun on the chest just for comfort (as others have already stated) but i'm definitely faster off the belt. I use a Tac-Com 20 rd chest rig that i've been happy with so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top