Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2016 2:48:13 PM EDT
I have never liked the Benelli inertia system. It always reminded me of the old A5's that would rattle your teeth.  

I have been looking at buying a new shotgun, and have been focusing on the versamax competition and the beretta 1301 comp.  After you add a extension tube and chokes to the beretta, they are essentially the same price.  

Which one takes the least work to load easily and cycle reliably?  Any mods they must be done?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going a different route I am building up a Mossberg SA-20 for my 12yr old to get into the 3gun sport.  He's not big enough for the 12 yet so I decided to go the 20 gauge route it is a fast shooting little gun but the aftermarket is definitely not there so I'm having some parts made for it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no experience with the two you're asking about, but the FN SLP doesn't kick at all. It's a dream to shoot. Might be worth looking in to.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hondajohn:
I'm going a different route I am building up a Mossberg SA-20 for my 12yr old to get into the 3gun sport.  He's not big enough for the 12 yet so I decided to go the 20 gauge route it is a fast shooting little gun but the aftermarket is definitely not there so I'm having some parts made for it.  
View Quote
I am using an SA-20 myself, not really running, more jogging at my age.
The gun runs fine and I have not found a target it won't take down with # 7.5 1 oz Winchester low brass.  I have used high brass #6 also.  Buck is a bit of an issue in 20GA
You are right about the aftermarket parts.  almost none. I would appreciate info on any ones you come up with.
I have some mods I have made myself.
20 inch tactical barrel, added extended Trulock chokes IC and IM.  Mike Orlin did the thread.
Choat Machine +2 tube.  Could go 3 but not in NY.
Hogged out, smoothed and polished that flat spot in the mag loading port.
Added a flipper to the bolt release like is available for the Benelli. (that stock bolt release was hard to press).
Good luck with it.  Keep us in the loop.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My father and I do a lot of competitive skeet shooting.  I personally have a kreighoff with a PFS. Stock that absorbs recoil and is extremely adjustable.  12ga 1 1/8oz #9 feel like a 28ga.  These stocks are available for many over and unders.  My father shoots a kreighoff with a RAD recoil reducer that works well.  He also used to shoot a run of the mill Rem 1100 with 4 oz of weigh in the butt 5 oz in the Forend.  And a CUTTS compensator on the barrel also a very smooth easy to shoot gun with minimal recoil.   Also Remington makes a 1100 with a recoil reducing stock on it. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the VM CT.  It is very low recoil.  Stay with a gas gun if recoil is an issue.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the VM is the fastest shotgun I've used, on a shot to shot basis.

I would have one, but Remington only import the 28" field gun here and not a 24" competition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top