Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2017 7:24:56 PM EDT
I am wanting to get into 3-gun competitions and am building a rifle to use. Neither of my current are fit the needs I want in a 3-gun rifle.

I am curious to everyone's thoughts on forward assists? A must have? A good to have? Or no really need?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#1]
How much crawling around in the muck and mud are you intending to do while playing 3-gun games?

If it's a lot, then it might be beneficial (in a gotta-shoot-to-save-my-life kind of way.)

If you don't intend to crawl around in muck and mud and you can just shoot again another day, then it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Life or death purposes? Essential.
Competitions? Would be fine without it as your life doesn't depend on it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. This definitely won't be my go to shtf rifle as I have another rifle that I trust much more for that scenario.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The only time I have ever used my forward assist was to quietly close the bolt on a round I slipped into the chamber by hand while coyote hunting.

Not needed on a 3-gun rifle.

But really... the weight is so minimal.... I wouldn't necessarily spend extra money to avoid it.  It doesn't get in the way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only time I have ever used my forward assist was to quietly close the bolt on a round I slipped into the chamber by hand while coyote hunting.

Not needed on a 3-gun rifle.

But really... the weight is so minimal.... I wouldn't necessarily spend extra money to avoid it.  It doesn't get in the way.
View Quote
Well I'd be spending less money to avoid it, Anderson slick side upper is $40 vs. a complete upper which is $60-80.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I got rid of my standard uppers and went to slick-side uppers, as a mechanically astute person, I saw no need for the dust cover, shell deflector or forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC Stoner was against the forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Tap, rack, bang.  If for whatever reason a round wouldn't chamber it gets flung out to the right and another gets a chance.  Even this dumb grunt sees the logic of not trying to ram it harder into the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The odds are in favor of just ejecting any difficult round, rather than using the forward assist to well and truly jam a bad round into your chamber.  Once you well and truly jam the round in the chamber, you may not get it to come back out when you want.  Playing the odds says the forward assist isn't necessary.  Keeping your firearm (including chamber and barrel extension) clean and lubricated is necessary.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies guys, I went with a slick side Anderson upper and mounted my Faxon GUNNER barrel to it a couple nights ago. Only have to perm attack my brake and swap the gas key on my Aim Surplus lightweight bcg for the RCA adjustable I have and the upper is complete.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been running a slick side billet upper for 6 years. I've never once needed a forward assist in the dozens and dozens of local matches or 12-15 major matches I've shot. That being said the rifle I'm picking up for next season will have one only because the forged upper with FA is lighter than the billet with dust cover. I dont ever expect to use it based on my experience. As a lefty shooting long guns, I've ripped the finger nail off of my pointer finger twice. The FA on the rifle will be replaced with one that doesnt have a ledge on it. Personal preference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top