Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2017 11:48:44 AM EDT
Is there a picture thread dedicated to AR-15's used in 3 gun competition.  I tried looking but didn't find one.  Just interested in collecting ideas of other people's setup.  That's how I usually build my AR's, by looking at a lot of photos here and picking out parts to mix and match on my rifles.  The whole 3 gun competition is still new to me but now just starting to spark interest in building another AR for this.  I am currently at 4 AR-15s with each having a different purpose.  Now I think I'm ready to build one more in the form of 3 gun rifle.  I am requesting to see what is out there with the only rule that is must be compliant to 3 gun culture.  Like I see the usual 16 inch barrel fitted with a 12 inch rail.  The 1-6x24 optics with no BUIS.  Brakes and compensators.  Stuff like that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#1]

JP LMOS carrier, adjustable gas, JP SCS, JP single stage trigger, Nordic Components compensator, Vortex Razor 1-6, 18" DPMS stainless barrel, 15" armalite handguard.

When this barrel is shot out the next will be a lighter profile 16".
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You see a lot of various carbines/rifles out at matches. Right now I run a 14.5 pinned and welded FN/spikes CHF with surefire brake, Troy 11 alpha rail, Troy hk offset sights, and have ran a TR24, VCOG, and currently a trijicon 1-8. The TR24 is going back on it once I get my 18inch gun back. You see a lot of 18inch guns, my 14.5 is great for maneuvering but 55gr out of 14.5 at 375 barely moves the flashers and you can't really hear it as well as the guys with 18inch guns because of the extra velocity.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
check out the Brian Enos forum, or another competitive shooter thread.

mine is an 18" jp with 2" JP comp, lancer lower, UBR, 15" samson rail, trijicon 1-4, cleaned up guts, silly paint job.

3 gun ARs need to be reliable, accurate, fast pretty much in that order. my FF tube lets me use improvised rests since bipods aren't allowed in my division. the heavy barrel and comp let me double tap a target at 200+ yards since the gun doesn't move during recoil. not super worried about backs ups because if something breaks I have a back up rifle or a buddy who will let me use theirs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I built this about 5 years ago, it probably needs updating.

14.5" Begara barrel w/BCM Mod 1
15" Midwest rail
1-4 MTAC
CMC single stage
Aero upper/lower
B5 stock and grip

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
this one was built before the first Ft Benning 3 gun match in 2005, so is outdated, but have not seen a need to change anything... ArmaLite lower, RRA 16" mid upper, RRA trigger, Enidine hydraulic buffer, Ergo grip, Midwest Industries full float, KAC grip is used as a mono pod... roll over sights, Miculek comp with the rear baffle opened... it shot a 12th place finish on the sniper range in 2009 at FB3G  (at the time I was 61)... the original 4x32 TA01 was replaced by a TA31F in 2010...will shoot minute of angle at 400m... the A1 stock fits me well and my PCC also has one

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I do a few 3gun matches and rifle competitions every year. It's fun and keeps my skills sharp.
I normally use an 18" build for these, but it seems like overkill sometimes on shorter bay matches, which rarely exceed 50 yards.

I decided to build up a 16" lightweight-ish rifle for these games.

I won the handguard a few weeks ago in a rifle match.
I had several parts on hand in my parts bin as well.

Build is as follows......
Aero Precision Stripped SLick upper and lower
Nordic Components NCT3 XL 15.5" handguard
Larue PredatAR 16" barrel
Precision Armament M4-72 Severe-Duty Compensator
SLR Sentry6 adj gas block
Spikes melonite gas tube
AIM Surplus Lightweight Nitride BCG
CAV Mfg C1 Stock system (A1 length and super light)
Taccom Rifle Recoil System delrin buffer system
Wolf 10% reduced buffer spring
Larue MBT Trigger
BCM LPK
Strike Industries Extended charging handle (temporary until I order my favorite BCM)
Damage Ind 45* selector
MFT Grip
Holosun Circle Dot with absolute co-witness mount

Took it out yesterday for the first time.
Had to adjust gas and sight in.
Using my light 3gun loads of 22.6gr H335 - 55gr Wolf projectile - Win SRP - LC Brass - 2.245" OAL
Gas took about 5 clicks from closed to run perfect.
Made a small adjustment to the sights and shot this group @ 25yds.

Moved out to 50yds to complete the zero.
This was my overall target of 5round groups.

Decided last night the MFT grip was way too slick, so did a quick stipple job.

I probably won't bother with BUIS on this build. We'll see. If I do I will use Magpul Pros.

Here it is with the ACE stock.

I am absolutely loving the Larue barrel.
Finished weight is 6lbs 4oz as seen in the picture.
Recoil impulse with the buffer/spring combo, along with the adj gas and light loads is similar to a 22lr. :)

Here is a vid from yesterdays match. It was the first time I shot this build in a match after sighting it in last week. Notice at 30 seconds, how flat this thing shoots. those were all hits btw. :)
May 28th 3gun

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="DmzlVzGknTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#7]
My 18" 3gun rifle, with it's bigger SPR brother on top.
The muzzle device was changed since that pic, to the same one I used in the 16" build in the previous post.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Although I have never used this in a 3-Gun competition, it is suited for it.

Attachment Attached File

Its features are as follows:

Upper Assembly:
Battle Arms Development BAD556-LW Lightweight 7075-T6 Billet Upper Receiver
LaRue Tactical 18" Stealth Barrel w/ mid-length gas system
LaRue Tactical LT202 Low-Profile Gas Block, Gas Tube and Gas Tube Pin
SLR Rifleworks Synergy BCF 5.56 Mod 1
LANTAC Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group
Strike Industries AR-15 Charging Handle w/ Extended Latch
FORTIS SWITCH 556 Rail System 14"
FORTIS SWIFT Short Angled Fore-End Grip (Keymod)
MAGPUL MBUS PRO Front and Rear Sights
American Defense RECON-X 30mm mount
VORTEX Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope

Lower Assembly:
Battle Arms Development BAD556-LW Lightweight 7075-T6 Billet Lower Receiver
Battle Arms Development BAD-EMMR Enhanced MODULAR Magazine Release - LARGE / BLACK
Battle Arms Development BAD-ASS-LW Ambi Safety Selector
Battle Arms Development BAD-EPS (Enhanced Pin Set) AR15
Norgon Ambi-Catch™ Magazine Release
Forward Controls Augmented Bolt Catch/Release, Forged (ABC/R-F)
Executive Ordnance "Molon Labe" Pistol Grip w/ Stealth G-10 Panels (Blk)
BCM A5 Intermediate Buffer System Assembly
MFT Battlelink Minimalist Stock (Blk)
Elftmann Tactical 3 Gun Single Stage Curved Bow Modular Trigger (ELF-3-GUN-C)
KNS Precision hammer/trigger pins (REPLTH-154)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top