Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2017 10:26:50 PM EDT
Just started to shoot 3 gun last year and started out with an inexpensive Nikon 1-4X scope.
Looking to upgrade this winter. I checked out a few scopes last year of fellow competitors and I'm trying to decide between the Vortex Razor HD 1-6X and the Leupold VX 6 3 Gun model 1-6X.
Since the price of these 2 scopes is only a couple hundred bucks apart, I was wondering what other folks would prefer and why.
I am a huge Leupold fan because of my experience over the years, but I know Vortex is a good scope as well.
Can anyone shed light on any perceived advantages/disadvantages of either scope?
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No need for any input on my request.
Last week I got a notice in my e-mail from Midway USA about a sale on refurbished Leupold scopes. 35% off Midway's new price.
Got a Leupold VX6 1-6X 3 Gun scope for $714!!!
Complete with Leupold Lifetime Warranty.
Got the scope today. Not a mark on it. Dot works as advertised.

I must be living right.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Vortex and really like it but there is no question the Leupold is high quality.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I dislike the Vortex. I see nothing but fish bowl and distortion when looking through it. I had the VX6 and like it but am now running the Mark6. Can't go wrong with a leupold.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlphaThree:
I dislike the Vortex. I see nothing but fish bowl and distortion when looking through it. I had the VX6 and like it but am now running the Mark6. Can't go wrong with a leupold.
View Quote
Which Vortex did you have?

The Razor is a far cry from the Strike Eagle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Vespid_Wasp:

Which Vortex did you have?

The Razor is a far cry from the Strike Eagle.
View Quote
Vortex Razor HD with VMR-2 reticle.  Looking through that side by side with a Leupold MK8 1.1-8, it looks the exact same on 1x as the Mark8 does at 1.1.  With that being said, I am the only person I know that doesnt like it so maybe it is just my eyes
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Vortex Razor HD with VMR-2 reticle.  Looking through that side by side with a Leupold MK8 1.1-8, it looks the exact same on 1x as the Mark8 does at 1.1.  With that being said, I am the only person I know that doesnt like it so maybe it is just my eyes
View Quote
Did you adjust the diopter?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Yep. Focused it staring a bLank white wall as per the instruction manual. Still looks weird to me
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep. Focused it staring a bLank white wall as per the instruction manual. Still looks weird to me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I focused mine so that 1x was true 1x and then checked via those instructions to make sure the reticle was properly crisp.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I'm disappointed that there aren't more and better options at this pricepoint.  

I do in fact own both scopes and I don't love either.  The VX-6 would be nearly perfect if it had a daylight bright dot.  It doesn't.  The Razor HD does, but it's heavier, has a funky color I don't love, and does not have an auto off feature like the VX-6.  It's taken much training effort on my part and a lot of batteries to remember to switch the dial to an off position when putting it away.  The quality of glass is pretty darn close in both.  There is a somewhat noticeably larger eyebox on the Razor.  

Really wish they made the darn thing black....and 1-8x.  I'm guessing I'll break down and buy a Swaro or Kahless (sp) next year...or possibly the Trijicon 1-8.  But something 1-8....Maybe we'll get a Razor HD 1-8 next year?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperSet72] [#10]
Do you think you need 1-8x?  It's been my experience that a 1-6x is almost perfect for the size of targets most used in matches.  Remember that 8x is going to lose a lot more field of view than 6x.

Also, if the Razor color bothers you that much, you could always opt for the cheaper PST Gen II, which is almost the same scope as the Razor except you can have it in Black.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top