Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2016 2:44:58 AM EDT
Which one do you run and why?

Pros and / or cons of each system?

I have a syrac adj.   and am quite pleased....

I am slowly working on new build and am considering options.

And adj. Gas key systems  are usually less expensive than adj. gas block

What say ye?
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The point of adjustable gas block is to limit felt recoil and tune the gun to use as little gas as possible. Adjustable gas key would still use the same amount of gas recoil wise, so it would defeat the purpose.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The point of adjustable gas block is to limit felt recoil and tune the gun to use as little gas as possible. Adjustable gas key would still use the same amount of gas recoil wise, so it would defeat the purpose.

Buy once, cry once.
View Quote

Not true at all...
I've used both, both work, the adjustable gas key still limits the gas entering the carrier, which means the carrier will cycle more slowly, it just lets more gas into the upper so it runs a little dirtier.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not true at all...
I've used both, both work, the adjustable gas key still limits the gas entering the carrier, which means the carrier will cycle more slowly, it just lets more gas into the upper so it runs a little dirtier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.

Not true at all...

But the same amount of gas as stock is still hitting the carrier. Adj gas block means less gas hitting carrier. Simple physics of it would mean the adj gas block would have less felt recoil. (with a fully tuned system)
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But the same amount of gas as stock is still hitting the carrier. Adj gas block means less gas hitting carrier. Simple physics of it would mean the adj gas block would have less felt recoil. (with a fully tuned system)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.

Not true at all...

The AR gas system isn't purely DI, the gas is not "hitting the carrier", it's "hitting" the gas key, which does almost nothing to drive the carrier to the rear due to the small surface area and almost negligible mass of gas.
The carrier only unlocks and cycles based on the gas that is allowed into the carrier, which then drives the bolt and carrier apart as it expands.
If you completely shut off the orifice in an adjustable gas key, the bolt would not cycle.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The AR gas system isn't purely DI, the gas is not "hitting the carrier", it's "hitting" the gas key, which does almost nothing to drive the carrier to the rear due to the small surface area and almost negligible mass of gas.
The carrier only unlocks and cycles based on the gas that is allowed into the carrier, which then drives the bolt and carrier apart as it expands.
If you completely shut off the orifice in an adjustable gas key, the bolt would not cycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy once, cry once.

Not true at all...

It may just be that it's not enough force for you to be able to feel the difference.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I now have a rifle with adjustable gas block and one with gas key......

I can't tell the difference in performance

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top