Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2012 7:03:19 PM EDT
After reading the rules on Midwest3gun website several times, I took it that Heavy Tac Optics meant the rules for Heavy Metal were extended to allow an optic on your rifle.....I bought a Benelli pump and all the goodies, and prepared to download all of my FNP 45 Tactical mags to 8-10 rounds.   When I got there to shoot yesterday, I found out I could shoot my 3-gun 9mm and semi-auto shotgun. Needless to say, I thought my times would have been better with 9mm and SA!

The thought arose that it would be nice to have a sticky with a simple break down of classes based upon pistol, then rifle, then shotgun. Under each class there would be pistol/rifle/shotgun divisions with subdivisions for mag length, optics, muzzle device diameter/type/not allowed. I think this would make things a lot easier for someone starting out like me to have a better understanding of what we could shoot in different classes, and what might push us into open class that maybe we hadn't thought of....... i.e.- suppressors, ported pistol barrels, ported shotgun chokes,...
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Divisions

The equipment division can be and are different from match to match but the above link
should help you sort though the differences.

Patrick
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:
Originally Posted By MGKelley:
Divisions

The equipment division can be and are different from match to match but the above link
should help you sort though the differences.

Patrick

This!

It would be great to have one rule set with each match having an addendum to the big rule set for their particular match.

Addedndums would be nice. Based on the information I found before shooting the RO shoot for the MW3G shoot this weekend, I read the rules on MW3G website and as a result ended up buying a new Benelli SuperNova, Nordic Parts,.....you get the idea. When I got there and discovered I could have used my 9mm and semi-auto, I was a bit discouraged that I had wasted money on a new shotgun and was about to shoot alot of my more expensive .45.   Now I have my SuperNova up for sale for a hefty loss since I wont use it for anything else. Could have saved me a lot of money if a better method of listing the equipment requirements for each class was publicized. The above listed link is nice for a rough start on what MAY be allowed...but would hate to show up to a comp with the wrong gear!

BTW....I decided to shoot Heavy Tac Optics for a better chance to rank higher among shooters......then noticed your name there after I was committed to shooting it. Be wary of the RO that seems to always give you bad advice!
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By EaZeNuTZ33:

It would be great to have one rule set with each match having an addendum to the big rule set for their particular match.

Addedndums would be nice. Based on the information I found before shooting the RO shoot for the MW3G shoot this weekend, I read the rules on MW3G website and as a result ended up buying a new Benelli SuperNova, Nordic Parts,.....you get the idea. When I got there and discovered I could have used my 9mm and semi-auto, I was a bit discouraged that I had wasted money on a new shotgun and was about to shoot alot of my more expensive .45.   Now I have my SuperNova up for sale for a hefty loss since I wont use it for anything else. Could have saved me a lot of money if a better method of listing the equipment requirements for each class was publicized. The above listed link is nice for a rough start on what MAY be allowed...but would hate to show up to a comp with the wrong gear!

BTW....I decided to shoot Heavy Tac Optics for a better chance to rank higher among shooters......then noticed your name there after I was committed to shooting it. Be wary of the RO that seems to always give you bad advice!

Bummer!!!  I was confused too.  I was gearing up for pump and .45 like heavy irons until someone pointed out the difference.   I'll try to shoot slower:)
[/quote]

I checked and it says anyone named Jesse has to shoot single stack .45 and a pump shotgun with cylinder bore and max of 5 round capacity.    Best of luck to ya!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 7:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FenrirKildar] [#7]
I think whats hard is yeah there is a general ruleset for each division but depending on the match, or the rule set being folowing its hard to pin down a specific ruleset for each division.  For example at my local matches I can't have a 1x or red dot optic on my rifle if I am shooting Limited or Tactical Irons since we are shooting under the International Multigun Association rules.  But if I went to a United States Practical Shooting Association Multigun Match I could have a 1x optic for my rifle in Limited.  I think when in doubt e-mail the match organizers to be sure.  If the rules were posted incorrectly on the match website for the Heavy Tactical Division then they need to be corrected for the next match.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:47:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JesseTischauser] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I know we all love to argue about discuss the rules.  So I put together a thread on another forum with all the major 3 Gun match's rule sets.  Let me know if I'm missing any please.

Major 3 Gun Match Rules

like it!
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I know we all love to argue about discuss the rules.  So I put together a thread on another forum with all the major 3 Gun match's rule sets.  Let me know if I'm missing any please.

Major 3 Gun Match Rules

like it!

The next step is to make a general rule set that shows what is the same for each mathc then another list that shows the differences.

The BEST step would be to have the rules standardized so there is one set of rules for every 3-gun match in every area.   When setting up for the MW3G, we argued over and over about whether or not a single head shot neutralized, or if it had to be 2 shots/A-zone. Ended up the rules were set on 2shots/A-zone, but we had been shooting monthly matches there where a headshot, regardless of zone, was considered neutralized.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Not holding my breath, but hoping what you said there comes to fruition some day.

I was shooting .308 as well, and FGMM 168gr on the longer range stage....was nice only having to fire one shot at the 400yd target, but it cost me $1 for every trigger pull on that stage.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtielke] [#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jtielke:
3 Gun Rules Overview

"Address Not Valid"   is what came up for me
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jtielke:
3 Gun Rules Overview

"Address Not Valid"   is what came up for me

Sorry, fixed the link.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been looking for this, i have no clue what all the divisions mean so don't know how to build. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Man your local club is way behind!  Everybody let's red dots in irons now.  The actial IMGA rules are way out of date.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FenrirKildar:
I think whats hard is yeah there is a general ruleset for each division but depending on the match, or the rule set being folowing its hard to pin down a specific ruleset for each division.  For example at my local matches I can't have a 1x or red dot optic on my rifle if I am shooting Limited or Tactical Irons since we are shooting under the International Multigun Association rules.  But if I went to a United States Practical Shooting Association Multigun Match I could have a 1x optic for my rifle in Limited.  I think when in doubt e-mail the match organizers to be sure.  If the rules were posted incorrectly on the match website for the Heavy Tactical Division then they need to be corrected for the next match.

Man your local club is way behind!  Everybody let's red dots in irons now.  The actial IMGA rules are way out of date.

Are these divisions even cl;ose to 3-gun industry standards at this point?

http://www.wegc.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=68.0;attach=535
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top