Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2014 12:38:42 PM EDT
Is there a division or rules for someone who has a moblitiy issue ( i.e single leg amputee ) to compete in 3 gun?  I am an amputee and as such, even if I could shoot the fastest, and most accurate of anyone else I still would not be able to compete on the same level palying field as everyone else.  I did do a search but I could'nt find anything to help.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
USPSA has a rule in place should there be something in a stage that cannot be accomplished by the shooter due to injury or disability.   Usually eligibility is determined prior to shooting the stage by the Range Master and the shooter's score reflects a single "special"procedural penalty  See USPSA Rule 10.2.10

I've not seen the same in th 3GN rule set.

I you get a chance, read the 3GN article about Marine Sgt James Gill.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw the S&W sponsered shooter that is wheel chair bound on Shooting USA. He was shooting steel challenge, on the stage that requires movement. They allowed him to put his chair in the middle of the 2 boxes and gave him a procedural of 3 seconds if I remember correctly. USPSA is the same. If there is something you can't safely do, like stand on an unstable platform and shoot, you can stand behind it and shoot. Classifacations are what you would get in 3gun or USPSA. You may be slower due to your injury, but your classifaction would put you shooting against people of your own level.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:34:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toothandnail] [#3]
I haven't been to a 3gun match that did not allow disabled shooters.

If you can't complete the course according to the stage discription you incur a penalty and shoot it as best you can.

I've RO'd guys in wheel chairs, and with the arm brace style crutches(I don't know the proper name) all were natural terrain matches that really made it tough for them.
one guy who was in a chair , but could walk for short distances, he shot what he could(walking) then stopped cleared his gun and called for his chair, took the penalty for the remaining targets.

Everytime the squad mates were terrific, hepling the guys when they asked/needed help. Letting them do as much as they could on their own.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess the main question would be.  If there was a stage like the finals in in Vegas where you competed directly against an  another person and there was a run to get to the shooting position since I can't run how would that be delt with?  Or in a match where you are running between stages what would be the procedure for that ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By loki13:
I guess the main question would be.  If there was a stage like the finals in in Vegas where you competed directly against an  another person and there was a run to get to the shooting position since I can't run how would that be delt with?  Or in a match where you are running between stages what would be the procedure for that ?
View Quote

Man vs Man will only be in a very few final shoot-off type matches, many of those are after the regular match, and done for braggin rights. (separate entry )

As for the running, you have to do the best you can, if you can run - run, if walking is all you can do - walk.
Of course your time will be slower than some fit 20 year old, mine is as well.

In 3 gun, there is no level playing field, not possible, everybody has strengths and weaknesses.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me preface this with; I mean no disrepect or insult.  I can fully accept that there will always be strenght and weaknesses.  But, you can, and should train to midigate those weaknesses.  What I am talking about, is a disablitiy not a weakness.  No matter how hard I train I will no be able to run.  Just because everyone is measured same does not mean that it is equal for all.  Again, I mean no disrepect, I just would like to let my weaknesses make the differences not the disablitiy.
Loki13
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem, I understand.
However , most 3 gun matches are designed around moving and shooting, if you understand going in that you will be at a great disadvantage, you can still shoot the match.

just as if you joined a one on one basketball league, you may be the best 3 point shooter that ever lived, but pretty good chance your not going to win, that's the nature of the game it requires agility and movement.

There are shooting competitions where movement is not required, they may be more suited to your abilities.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:48:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Legman688] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By toothandnail:
I haven't been to a 3gun match that did not allow disabled shooters.

If you can't complete the course according to the stage discription you incur a penalty and shoot it as best you can.

I've RO'd guys in wheel chairs, and with the arm brace style crutches(I don't know the proper name) all were natural terrain matches that really made it tough for them.
one guy who was in a chair , but could walk for short distances, he shot what he could(walking) then stopped cleared his gun and called for his chair, took the penalty for the remaining targets.

Everytime the squad mates were terrific, hepling the guys when they asked/needed help. Letting them do as much as they could on their own.

View Quote

I've always known them as 'forearm crutches.' Your way works too!

I'm a leg amputee like OP, in my case I have been for... uh, a little over 24 years.  I don't currently shoot 3 gun, or 2 gun, or IDPA, but they are on my radar screen for the future.  I guess I've always assumed that I'd move as fast as I can, and I'd place where I placed.  My view on competition is that I'm not there to get better than all my co-competitors, I'm there to get better than anyone who might try to kill me.

And to be honest, my heart failure and 40 pounds of spare tire are going to slow me down more than the missing leg.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies.  I have been an above knee amputee for just over 15 yrs.  I may have lost a limb but I have definatly not not the competitve streak that is in me.  I know that there will come a time to play the game for the sake of having fun but, right now I want to compete , get better , and have a lot of fun in trying to better my scores.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
A few years ago I was at an IDPA match and there was a side match similar to what we now see in 3G shoot offs.  One of the shooters could not run, but he could walk. The other shooter who could run - didn't.  He walked.  I don't remember who won the shoot off, but I do remember his comment when asked why he did move faster, "sportsmanship."
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't think it would be much fun to shoot a match where you timed out on every stage. I've yet to shoot a 3 Gun match that wasn't run without a time limit on each stage. I do understand that with the number of shooters, time out must be done in order to complete the match before dark thirty.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
It is not a question of busting a time limlit.  Let me expalin it this way.  Two competors are in the same match, they are both just as good, have the same gear but one is allowed to run from section to section in a stage and one is allowd only to walk.  I summit that you would agreat that one has an advantage over the other one.  I don't really know what the solution would be.  May something like a 20 % time bonus for someone that couldnt run or move as fast as everone else.
Again, I'm not really sure what the solution is but I do know that there has to be one out there.  i am open to any imput that others who, are more experinced.
loki13
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Look up Hunter Cayll aka Nubs, on youtube or facebook.

He was in our squad last weekend at the zombie match, very inspiring guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top