Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 9:16:05 PM EDT
Is 5.45x39 a "legal" 3gun round. The only thing i can find in the rulse say larger than .223/5.56, which would lead me to believe it is not. Its what I have and competed with a couple times though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:

Most matches state that .223 is the smallest caliber allowed.  And 5.45x39 is slightly smaller.  I bet if you emailed the md there would allow it.  Biggest problem I for see is finding ammo that doesn't stick to a magnet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:
Originally Posted By JohnWaffle:
Is 5.45x39 a "legal" 3gun round. The only thing i can find in the rulse say larger than .223/5.56, which would lead me to believe it is not. Its what I have and competed with a couple times though.

Most matches state that .223 is the smallest caliber allowed.  And 5.45x39 is slightly smaller.  I bet if you emailed the md there would allow it.  Biggest problem I for see is finding ammo that doesn't stick to a magnet.

The vast majority of 5.45 ammunition is surplus and/or manufactured in Eastern Europe/Russia and use bullet jackets that contain iron/steel and only a thin layer of copper/copper alloy. These would not pass the magnet test. Some matches that don't use steel targets for rifles may allow it. Best bet is to contact the match director and ask or find the rare 5.45 ammunition that doesn't contain steel. (Hint: Bi-metal jacket=steel) I think most local matches wouldn't forbid it because it's "smaller".
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Our local MD has tested the bimetal wolf and other production 5.56 out on steel and deemed it OK to shoot at steel.  So I'm sure the 5.45 will be fine too.  But I do have some Hornady ammo that is just steel case the projectile is copper and lead,  that I use for steel just to be safe.  I was mostly curious  of the view of the caliber by the Santioning body.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Our local MD has tested the bimetal wolf and other production 5.56 out on steel and deemed it OK to shoot at steel.  So I'm sure the 5.45 will be fine too.  But I do have some Hornady ammo that is just steel case the projectile is copper and lead,  that I use for steel just to be safe.  I was mostly curious  of the view of the caliber by the Santioning body.
View Quote

I can't speak for 3GN but, USPSA allows 5.45x39 but forbids the bi-metal jacketed. As a local MD, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not steel cored/tipped. We don't shot steel with rifles inside of 100yds (club rules for matches). Beyond 100 the steel used in bi-metal jackets have little, if any, more wear than copper jacketed FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
7.0      FIREARMS PER DIVISION -The minimum cartridge case dimension for handguns to be used in 3 Gun Nation Regional Matches is 9x19mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, or 9mm NATO or 9mm. The minimum rifle caliber used in 3 Gun Nation Regional Matches is 5.45mm x39mm and the  Shotguns must be 20 gauge or larger. Some divisions may have a higher minimum.
View Quote

9.3 Rifle ammunition shall be .223 Remington (5.56 NATO) or larger.  Pistol and rifle cartridges must fire a single projectile only.  (Subject to DQ rule 5.10)
View Quote

They kind of contradict themselves it looks like.

They list no steel jacket, but doesn't say anything about Bi-Metal
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PatriotMRD:

I can't speak for 3GN but, USPSA allows 5.45x39 but forbids the bi-metal jacketed. As a local MD, I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not steel cored/tipped. We don't shot steel with rifles inside of 100yds (club rules for matches). Beyond 100 the steel used in bi-metal jackets have little, if any, more wear than copper jacketed FMJ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PatriotMRD:

Quite a few matches I've been to have you hand a round of rifle ammo to a S.O and if he can easily cut it with some side cutters it is good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top