Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2014 7:48:58 PM EDT
Looking at the 2014 Club series rules. I understand Heavy Metal Optics (HMO) to be Tac Optics that requires a 7.62x51mm rifle.

The first question is rule "7.5.1.5 Minimum caliber (9mm) can be used in this division up to .45 ACP caliber." I understand that to mean 9mm is allowed in Heavy Metal Optics.

The second being that in HMO, the pistol mags are limited in size, but not rounds.

And third being I don't see a rule requiring a pump 12 ga. shotgun.

Can somebody confirm that my eyes aren't deceiving me? And that Heavy Metal Irons still has the classic rules: .45acp Pistol with 10 rounds, .308 rifle with 20 rounds, and 12 ga. pump?

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Your eyes aren't deceiving you, it's all true.

I think the reason is to try to pull more people into the heavy metal optics category.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, I guess it will be Heavy Metal Irons for me, then. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I found out about these rule changes yesterday at a match. I think that sucks and I'll be moving to Heavy Metal Irons as well. I can see where my times rank against 9mm and semi auto shotguns in the overall but I would still like to be able to compete against those with a pump and a .45. Very disappointing...on the bright side it just saved me about $950. After thinking it over for a long time, I finally decided to buy a Vortex 1-6 Razor HD. Since I no longer have any need for that scope in Heavy Metal Irons, I'll just pick up a red dot. If anybody's got any suggestions regarding the the best red dots for 200-300 yards out, feel free to share. I've never even contemplated taking a shot that far unmagnified...until now.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as which red dot, For this application, I really like the EOTech because it is a quality dot that has a 1 MOA reticle that really helps for the longer shots. Most other red dots have 2 & 4 MOA reticles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#8]
This is what I found in the rules just now:
7.4.3.3 Iron rifles may be equipped with no more than one (1) non-magnified optical sight.
It doesn't specifically say " red dot " but I think that is what's implied. I hope so because I've decided to give the Vortex Spitfire 1x a shot and I really don't have much of a need for it outside of 3 gun. Heavy metal rules have always been confusing for me with some clubs allowing 9mm and others not. Maybe somebody will chime in that knows exactly what can be used before I spend $300 on a red dot when I should spend it on actual iron sights. Hell, my M&P 10 didn't even come with a FSP from the factory. Looks like I could be using my trusty old Magpul flip-ups next month!
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I think someone told me that the club series was to abide by the regional rules now, but don't quote me because I'm probably more confused now than when I got started. I think I'm going to start a new division. I'll call it Heavy Metal Texas. It will consist of all the traditional rules as Heavy Metal Irons except you can use a scoped rifle but no cart! That's right, I said it! You have to carry all of your guns, gear, and ammo from stage to stage on your back. That oughta separate the men from the boys. Which is what I thought Heavy Metal was intended to do in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Ha, that's awesome! I was only kidding. Next month I am quietly going to participate in an all new division. Heavy Metal Iron Trooper. I guess there's only one question left to ask. Does anyone know if protein smoothies cycle well in a Camelbak? I've got to get started training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top