Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2017 5:00:56 AM EDT
Long story short: I want to get into USPSA and 3 Gun. Starting with USPSA and expand from there.

My questions:

1) What division to start/compete in? At first I was looking at production. Maybe use my PPQ or get a PPQ Match. I love my PPQ. But for production, I see you have to have your mags hip bone back. I also checked my local area/club for who competes in production. Basically no one...unless I go to bigger competitions. Crap even PCC is pretty big apparently. Seems most people run limited. That would allow better mag placement...nice...but Major PF....so .40 to be competitive....which I don't have...So I need to purchase something else...I also need to buy more mags especially 10 round...Limited would mean less mags and more capacity with different base plates...

2) But for 3 gun, 9mm is preferred....So basically would have to have two guns....right? Or run some sort of 9mm conversion for 3 gun if I bought a 40 gun? Or is it just best to run 2 guns. Say I did limited: 40 for USPSA and a 9 for 3gun. I started looking at guns...and fell down the rabbit hole looking at CZ's and STI 2011 limited and 3gun...ooops

3) I am confused on belt setups. I have been looking at double alpha. The racer mags and premium belt with a ben stoeger hanger doh with holster seems like a great setup for uspsa. BUT is it possible to run a belt setup for both 3 gun and uspsa? Or is it better to have two dedicated systems. I see some 3 gunners use some sort of quick attachments. The safari land ELS for example. Or others use a belt similar to Double Alpha with other quick attachments....Whats best to do? I would like consistency between setups. Or is that not always going to be the case?

3.5) Could I run a double alpha belt and use the new alpha rails? Basically make it into a 3 gun belt and just place pouches where necessary?

4) Holsters....seems that 3gun needs more retention than USPSA. What is the deciding factor on that? Does the holster have to be active retention for 3 gun? I see the NERD coffin is supposed to have great retention but its not an "active" style like say a Safariland ALS/GLS. Is it mostly just the cut of the holster? Long's Shadow Holsters have different cuts too.

If you guys don't mind pushing me into the right direction, I'd really appreciate it...

BUT I know I just need to start somewhere simple probably and go forward. I just want to BUY ONCE CRY ONCE I like preparing myself and not wasting time/money. Lol.

Thanks a ton for anyone that replies!

*EDIT* I have an 18" gun with an adjustable gas block/muzzle brake that I would use for 3 gun. Just would need a shotgun that's a semi. I started my shotgun life in Trap (browning bt99)
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Just shoot limited minor (9mm) to start.  It's not going to hurt you in the beginning.  Just load your mags up and run what you brung.

I will strongly urge you to just come out with the gear you have and don't buy a lot of stuff until you have 3-4 matches under your belt and see what's what and talk to some veteran guys.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll just echo that.  

Use what you have to start.  

.....AND Don't wait.   You'll be kicking yourself if you think you have to be "better" to shoot a match and put it off.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I still would need to get a belt with some pouches and holster.

My battle belt probably wont suffice how I have that set up
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
get the production kit from Ben stoeger pro shop, add a couple of AR mag pouches, and use it for both until you figure out what you want. 

this would let you shoot production in USPSA and whatever you want for 3-gun.

After awhile you will end up with two different rigs.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get the production kit from Ben stoeger pro shop, add a couple of AR mag pouches, and use it for both until you figure out what you want. 

this would let you shoot production in USPSA and whatever you want for 3-gun.

After awhile you will end up with two different rigs.  
View Quote
I was looking at that as an option.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

I still would need to get a belt with some pouches and holster.

My battle belt probably wont suffice how I have that set up
View Quote
Post a photo of your battle belt with the pistol in it, and the belt brand. While not ideal, it may be USPSA-legal. As mentioned above, do not buy ANYTHING you don't have to before you have a few matches under your belt. This is THE BEST ADVICE EVER in action shooting competition.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
So.. this may or not be applicable to what you want to do as I am still very brand new to this.  I did my very first 3 gun match a couple of weeks ago.  In the ramp up to the event I was freaked out by shear amount of gear that is available for competition.  I started digging into the massive number of posts about belt setups and the best gear and I quickly became overwhelmed. I was lucky to be able to talk first hand to someone that had run several events before and has a local shooting sports store.  In the end I bought two things; a dual pistol mag holder and a belt.  The belt is not a competition belt but just a very stiff nylon belt.  I used the safariland holster I already owned and called it good.  Now I am not going to say that is all you need, but it got me through my first event.

The things that I noted that I needed to add for the next event are:
* something to hold shotgun shells - there are a lot of different approaches to this; twins, quad loads, 4 up singles, etc..  I would pick something and practice it as flinging shotgun shells all over the stage is no fun. I borrowed a homemade vest that held twins from another competitor and that worked so much better than loose shells in a cargo pocket :)
* I need more/bigger pistol mags - this has nothing to do with a belt setup, but I had a couple of stages that required more rounds that I had with me at the time. - ordered more high cap mags.
* My shotgun needs to hold more rounds - ordered a Nordic extension
* need to know my hold overs for 200-300 yards

Over time I am sure that I will pick up a true competition type duel belt setup and start to build it out, but again, over time. The point behind this email is to just pick something and run with it.  For the first few matches it wont really matter what you bring, as long as its safe.  Concentrate on staying safe, learning the process and not getting DQ'd.  Watch what others are doing and ask lots of questions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So.. this may or not be applicable to what you want to do as I am still very brand new to this.  I did my very first 3 gun match a couple of weeks ago.  In the ramp up to the event I was freaked out by shear amount of gear that is available for competition.  I started digging into the massive number of posts about belt setups and the best gear and I quickly became overwhelmed. I was lucky to be able to talk first hand to someone that had run several events before and has a local shooting sports store.  In the end I bought two things; a dual pistol mag holder and a belt.  The belt is not a competition belt but just a very stiff nylon belt.  I used the safariland holster I already owned and called it good.  Now I am not going to say that is all you need, but it got me through my first event.

The things that I noted that I needed to add for the next event are:
* something to hold shotgun shells - there are a lot of different approaches to this; twins, quad loads, 4 up singles, etc..  I would pick something and practice it as flinging shotgun shells all over the stage is no fun. I borrowed a homemade vest that held twins from another competitor and that worked so much better than loose shells in a cargo pocket :)
* I need more/bigger pistol mags - this has nothing to do with a belt setup, but I had a couple of stages that required more rounds that I had with me at the time. - ordered more high cap mags.
* My shotgun needs to hold more rounds - ordered a Nordic extension
* need to know my hold overs for 200-300 yards

Over time I am sure that I will pick up a true competition type duel belt setup and start to build it out, but again, over time. The point behind this email is to just pick something and run with it.  For the first few matches it wont really matter what you bring, as long as its safe.  Concentrate on staying safe, learning the process and not getting DQ'd.  Watch what others are doing and ask lots of questions.
View Quote
Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Like others have said, bring what you have an run it. Holster, mag holder, and your guns and your good to go. I haven't been to matches in your area, but I've never been to a 3 gun match that someone wasn't avail to loan something to someone who needed it. Shotgun shell caddy's for example are a preference thing, ask the shooters around you and see what they are using. More than likely they'll let you try it before you buy. I have a lot of shit laying around as I just bought instead of following that advice... Have fun!

@3GunSteve
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Like others have said, bring what you have an run it. Holster, mag holder, and your guns and your good to go. I haven't been to matches in your area, but I've never been to a 3 gun match that someone wasn't avail to loan something to someone who needed it. Shotgun shell caddy's for example are a preference thing, ask the shooters around you and see what they are using. More than likely they'll let you try it before you buy. I have a lot of shit laying around as I just bought instead of following that advice... Have fun!

@3GunSteve
View Quote
Thanks man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top