Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2017 11:54:55 PM EDT
To Qualify My Op Question,  I am not talking about existing designs offered that are aimed or applicable to the sport of 3 gun. I am more or less talking about the ideal possible scope using existing technology, manufacturing methods and aimed at being available to aw idsctre specum of the shooting public price wise.

I myself have two concepts.

1) 1-8x30ish variable scope with a scope mounting bracket machined as part of the tube.. I would like the erectors to be in low profile counter sunk turrets that can be removed with a coin. This would protect the most important part of the scope from hitting, bumping and scraping against stuff.

I would like to see a machined top rail for mounting a Red dot or some other device as part of the scope body.

I would like for it to have a 1x and 8x setting and an extremely short power switch throw similar to the IOR pitbull.

I would like the lighting system to have as few setting as possible 3 day and 3 night settings with the low lights settings if it is turned in one direction and the bright settings  if turned the other.

I would like for it to also have an instant on switch that can be turned on by push button. Just have it turn on to a nominal brightness  setting.

I would like for the reticle to be designed like the ACSS. several integral systems of range measurement and types of hold over built in.

I would like a 2-16x36ish too. with Horus Vision Grid type reticle, but otherwise the same as described above.

Also make exposed, zero stop turrets to replace the low profile counter sunk caps.Check out how the russian set up their PSO and POSP turrets for clues. Should be easy to manufacture... A company used to sell them in Cabelas for scopes with standard capped turrets 20 years ago.

You could also make replacement mounts with built in MOA fairly easy/

Option 2 is a digital scope.

Pretty much an iphone with a mount on it.

You could stream a HUD to your eye glasses and switch reticles and your technology could do the math and create a super imposed dope. Sounds complicated but a laser rangefinder on auto range synced to a ballistics calculator is all you need and the rest is code and processor speed. You could even add in real time wind elevation and pressure without much expense.

You can by an phone from walmart for 50 bucks and it has more computing power than nuclear subs not so long ago. Seems a digital scope could be built for a few dollars more.

I dont actually shoot formal three gun because I live in the original sticks, but I am an enthusiast non the less.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#1]
True 1x-6x zoom will suffice. Capped turrets. AZ-daylight-bright 2MOA center dot, BDC and FFP. Clear glass. Biggest objective and most forgiving eyebox possible. .. I would rate eyebox as the single most important feature, followed by glass clarity - power much less important to me.

I shoot out west where we have distance and bright daylight. Priorities will be different elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6x will suffice. Capped turrets. AZ-daylight-bright 2MOA center dot, BDC and FFP. Clear glass. Biggest objective and most forgiving eyebox possible. .. I would rate eyebox as the single most important feature, followed by glass clarity - power much less important to me.

I shoot out west where we have distance and bright daylight. Priorities will be different elsewhere.
View Quote
I like a fixed 6x42. About the best scope for up close and far away.

The fixed 6x42ish scope design was a mainstay in western europe form the 1920s well into the 90s. I think hendsbolt mad a variable 1-6x42 sniper scope with a bult in STANAG mount going as far back as the mid 60s. It wasn't fully developed until the mid 70s though I think... It even had a day bright recticle. It has been so long since I last seen one I am not even sure of all of its features but as I recall it was a very well thought out scope for when it was designed.

I believe we were using redfields and Leatherwood scopes at the time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I think 1-6x is plenty 1-8x is also an option. The key being you can get down to 1x - 1.5x for closer stuff. Try finding a paper target at sub 5 yards on 6x and then transition to the next one without pulling scope off eye and you'll see what I mean. I shoot a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6x and for the bay matches it's on 1.5x the majority of the time, offset irons for close stuff sub 10yards. I don't even get into 4x or higher unless it's 300+ and mostly as I need that magnification to find the target. I find I'm way more accurate and can control the crosshair wobble better at lower magnification.

@3GunSteve
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
A 1x & 6x switch-power w/ some sort of super-quick electronic or manual servo activated by a rail-mountable thumb-pad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True 1x-6x zoom will suffice. Capped turrets. AZ-daylight-bright 2MOA center dot, BDC and FFP. Clear glass. Biggest objective and most forgiving eyebox possible. .. I would rate eyebox as the single most important feature, followed by glass clarity - power much less important to me.

View Quote
If we are gonna go FFP, might as well to 1-8x.

but it is critical that the reticle is useable from 4x-8x....  the BDC stadia lines at 8x need to be not overwhelming.... and still useable for precision, while remaining visible at 4x.  Lower than 4x I don't care as much about the BDC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Vortex Razor is pretty close.

I would add 10mph windage hash marks for the stadia lines from 300 to 600 yards.

I guess if we were wishing if it were a 1-8x FFP but retaining the JM1 with windage, that would be excellent.

Razor is heavy.  If there were a way to make it lighter while retaining durability that would be nice.  I'm certain that would add expense for titanium, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top