Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2017 7:05:32 PM EDT
I just won my choice of a "basic Glock".

Apparently means no MOS glocks?  I don't have the certificate yet. Match director said there was a snafu.

I currently have a G34 that I started out in Production with.

I have been shooting Limited division with a Tanfoglio for the past year or so.

Thinking of setting up carry optic gun. I would probably prefer a milled slide over a MOS anyway because I can get it lower.

Part of me thinks I should get the 34 and mill it for the sight, but I have seen many suggest the extra length as pointless with a red dot. However, I would be able to keep one load for both divisions.

So now I am leaning to a 17. I already have 3 Glock 17s. ....only one gen 4 (which I prefer) but in FDE. My love for FDE is fading, so instead of milling that gun I thought I would use the new black one.

The other thought was to forget carry optics and get another G19 to trick out.

Anyone have any thoughts about what direction I should go?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a few G17 and G19.  

If you didn't have the Tanfo, i would say the G35 for limited.  

Maybe just get another G34 as a backup?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
PS.  How'd you finish?  

Was that a prize table win, or a placing?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I am really liking carry optics myself. 
I am using a 19 mos, but I plan on switching to a g17 to see which one I prefer.
Sometimes you can upgrade the basic glock certificate for a small fee, it was an option when I won mine.
I do like that the mos can switch different brands of dots if you want, instead of being cut for a single pattern of red dot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have the certificate in hand? The 34 is usually a upgrade just like the MOS guns.

I'm not up on carry optics rules but if a 19 is competitive in that division that is probably what I would choose.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up winning B class Limited and got an early pick at the prize table.  I passed on an XD and a Walter pistol.  

First full year in limited with no practice.  I am classed as A in Production and won our Section Match and Area Match classed as A once before I made the switch to Limited.

I do not have the certificate yet.  I'm guessing it explains things more on there as far as upgrading.

I guess I'll have to wait and see when it comes.  I am probably leaning towards the 17 at this point.  I cant see any reason to use a 19 in the carry optic role.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I ended up winning B class Limited and got an early pick at the prize table.  I passed on an XD and a Walter pistol.  

First full year in limited with no practice.  I am classed as A in Production and won our Section Match and Area Match classed as A once before I made the switch to Limited.

I do not have the certificate yet.  I'm guessing it explains things more on there as far as upgrading.

I guess I'll have to wait and see when it comes.  I am probably leaning towards the 17 at this point.  I cant see any reason to use a 19 in the carry optic role.
View Quote
Lighter slide for one. Other than sight radius and capacity a 17 does nothing a 19 can't do. Since you're not using sights it's just capacity which is why I asked if the 19 was competitive in carry optics as I don't know the rules.

You'll notice that a ton of open guns are much shorter barrels than their limited siblings. More maneuverable gun overall.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lighter slide for one. Other than sight radius and capacity a 17 does nothing a 19 can't do. Since you're not using sights it's just capacity which is why I asked if the 19 was competitive in carry optics as I don't know the rules.

You'll notice that a ton of open guns are much shorter barrels than their limited siblings. More maneuverable gun overall.
View Quote
The theory I read was that a shorter slide will cycle faster making the dot reappear faster.
I have not really compared anything to see if I notice a difference. 
I shoot a G19 well, so I figured try a CO G19.
I would say I am competitive with my G19 mos.
If someone typically shoots better with the fullsize grip then the G17 may be the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Glock 20 if you don't already have something in 10mm.  Not for competition, just a good woods gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top