Quoted:
You can say that again. 80 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/LuYnlD5.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been killing hogs with the 110gr Tac-TX for several years now. It does the trick.
You can say that again. 80 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/LuYnlD5.jpg
Did you run a quick mag change on the 2nd 30 round volley into this pig?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How would the Hornady 75gr BTHP do for this?
View Quote
It would probably do fine, but my pick for a hunting bullet in the .223 is the 62gr Fusion. That little bullet amazed me last year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Bullet choice is everything with 5.56.

I ran into a group driving down to my place and had a mag of PPU 55gr SP handy for my LWRC.

At about 150 yards I shot one and he ran about 10 feet and another dropped on the spot. I ran out there and they were both still alive bleeding out so I finished them off with head shots.

I pushed into the wood line they ran into and saw another. Shot him twice in the shoulder and once in the neck. Went to go get my mule and the one I shot 3 times ran off. Found him the next by the vultures about 300 yards off. He was maybe a 200 pound pig at most.

Pigs are tough critters when you’re making good shots. When they’re in a group and you’re trying to gun down multiple quickly I’d suggest a round that might compensate for a less than stellar hit.

My personal favorite performers are Tula 154gr 7.62x39 out of an AR and Federal 150gr 30-06 out of a Garand. I stopped using the Garand once I got my suppressor though. I just bought a 300 blackout so I’m interested to try a few loads.

There’s a lot better loads than PPU 55gr SP though so if you’re going to go 5.56 definitely step up to 70+ gr rounds
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the season. For walking around, I grab my 556 with an aimpoint. During deer season, my deer rifle or 300 BO suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It would probably do fine, but my pick for a hunting bullet in the .223 is the 62gr Fusion. That little bullet amazed me last year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would the Hornady 75gr BTHP do for this?
65 gr Sierra Game Kings work pretty good too. My dad’s handy rifle loves them. The 60gr partition is another good choice if you don’t mind the cost.

Top pig was at 225 yards on my shooting range I think the bullet was a 40gr Vmax. Bottom hog was about 70 yards same bullet a couple of days apart. I think the top hog was pretty close to the shoulder. Bottom was a neck shot.
Those little guys got 60gr Vmax.

Bottom three were all cheap steel case 50gr HP ammo. Main thing is get out there and squeeze the trigger!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

I know a couple guys that kill a few with 556 fmj
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top