Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 7:35:33 PM EDT
I wanted to share this video with my hog hunting friends here in this forum.  I post alot of hog hunting videos and a few days ago I had either a Mountain Lion, Cougar, or some type of Panther show up during one of my late night hog hunts. This has been a little secret of mine that I haven't shared with many people, mostly because I didn't want people around here in East Texas to think I was crazy, but I've had a Mountain Lion/Big Cat either living or hunting 100 yards from my front door for the past 8 months.  In the past he's always eluded the opportunity for me to take a clean shot...until he showed up for the last time during the middle of hog hunt.  From the video you'll see him amazingly jump 7 or 8 feet in the air after taking a shot to the front right shoulder.  Be careful out in those fields chasing hogs guys, you never know what you might run into..

Mountain Lion/Big Cat Shows Up At A Hog Hunt...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't get it?  I mean, it's rotting in the brush somewhere and you don't have pictures, a hide/head, or anything?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
man, i'm sick about it!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Man I'd try to get a hold of someone with a tracking dog to find that thing if it were me, might not ever get a shot at another!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The grass that he was laying behind, I measured is two feet tall. Laying down with his head up he was several inches taller than that very tall grass. He was big, definitely wasn't a feral house cat, haha!. On thermal, it's really hard to see his size because he is directly facing me. It isn't until he jumps that you get to see how long he really is. But, before I flipped the camera on, I saw him walk over before laying down and I knew it was that Big Cat. Now it might be a panther or cougar, not really sure. I was just sad that I didn't get to recover him...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man I'd try to get a hold of someone with a tracking dog to find that thing if it were me, might not ever get a shot at another!
View Quote
I wish I knew someone that had dogs.  I've been looking for buzzards...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since. My biggest fear is my neighbor Paul finding it dead somewhere on his property and taking credit for shooting it, haha!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice video and good shooting.  Thumbs way way up for that video.  Haters Gonna Hate so keep hunting brother.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazing!!! thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank y'all...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe its just the camera angle but it looks like you might of aimed a little low?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]
You might be right...
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#12]
And never bothered to track the cat after the shot? 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I stayed out there til 5am trying to find him and mowed 10 acres of pasture the next day just to see if I could find something.  I've put in a lot of work trying to locate him.  I need someone with dogs, I've been looking for buzzards but there's no telling where he is
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Might call the local game warden and see if if he can recommend someone that has dogs?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Good idea
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#16]
All for elimination of all hogs, a big cat is another thing altogether.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
they are way over populated in Texas because of the hogs.

@bobweever can explain.. he is a TPWD Biologist that studies them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Sucks that you didn't find him. What did you shoot him with?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really don't want to have to shoot a big cat.  All I care about it taking care of hogs and coyotes off of my land.  But, I have two young daughters, 9 and 5, and they play in the sand just a few yards were this cat hangs out.  A young boy was recently bitten in the face by a mountain lion in Texas.  If I was somewhere else, on someone else's property, and not close to my land or house, then I wouldn't have shot him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Shot him with a .223 with hog load ammo..
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]
On the one hand, glad to see that the area supports big cats. On the other, glad that you and yours are safe. I can't say that I would act any differently if my kids played nearby. Family first, last, and always.

I wish people on the coasts realized what has happened on this continent. Wolves, bears, cats, even buffalo and moose. If you showed up to the party in 1500, you were NOT the apex creature in the ecosystem. We forget that these days, and think it only applies to big sharks and deep oceans.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Wise words!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#23]
interesting video, glad you and your family members are safe and no one has been hurt.  too bad you couldn't find the animal but so be it.  good shooting
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wanted to share this video with my hog hunting friends here in this forum.  I post alot of hog hunting videos and a few days ago I had either a Mountain Lion, Cougar, or some type of Panther show up during one of my late night hog hunts. This has been a little secret of mine that I haven't shared with many people, mostly because I didn't want people around here in East Texas to think I was crazy, but I've had a Mountain Lion/Big Cat either living or hunting 100 yards from my front door for the past 8 months.  In the past he's always eluded the opportunity for me to take a clean shot...until he showed up for the last time during the middle of hog hunt.  From the video you'll see him amazingly jump 7 or 8 feet in the air after taking a shot to the front right shoulder.  Be careful out in those fields chasing hogs guys, you never know what you might run into..

Mountain Lion/Big Cat Shows Up At A Hog Hunt...
View Quote

We have been tracking a black Panther on Louisiana side of Sabine River.  

As of now, we are encouraging others to leave this top tier predator alone since there are plenty of feral piglets in this area to eat.  

Given the thousands of acres of marsh woodlands and uninhabitable location, we can assume there is more than one panther out there.

*MY BEST ADVICE IS TO LOOK UP OFTEN FOR BOBCATS / PANTHER / SNAKES*  

I have also seen an 18' Boa constrictor in a tree in the woods 20 miles North of Vinton, LA.  Darn thing dropped down on a limb above me!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, snakes in trees make my skin crawl..
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Man, snakes in trees make my skin crawl..
View Quote
And especially big snakes!
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And especially big snakes!
View Quote
Yeah, those are no joke!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top