Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2017 8:28:26 AM EDT
How is the hog hunting in late October? I've got a week off starting October 21, and may head down that way to make some bacon.  How's the hunting that time of year?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know for sure, but I'm going in October as well (8th-11th). I'll  be trying out Ranger Creek ranch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me know how that goes.  I'm either going in October or the end of December.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Hog hunts in TX are about location rather than time of year. We always have plenty. You just have to be on a property where the oinkers live and are ruining things. October should be comfortable weather for a harvest.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The weather in late Oct is definitely better than August, but it can still be in the upper 90's.  If you're on a paid hunt at a ranch that advertises year round hog hunts, then the time of year doesn't matter because they make sure to keep a steady supply of pigs coming in. If you have a connection to hunt on a private ranch that is interested in eradicating pigs rather than perpetuating the problem, then the time of year may have an effect on what style of hunting you'll need to be doing or the time of day/night you'll be doing it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How is the hog hunting in late October? I've got a week off starting October 21, and may head down that way to make some bacon.  How's the hunting that time of year?
View Quote

You need to be more specific.  Texas is fucking big.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Texas is fucking big.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You need to be more specific.  Texas is fucking big.
View Quote
Ok, East/southeast Texas.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok, East/southeast Texas.
View Quote
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good luck.
View Quote

Thanks, that's helpful.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
most of the respectable outfits won't fly in the summer to early fall.

Air is too thin and the foliage provides to much cover.

December to March is your best bet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
most of the respectable outfits won't fly in the summer to early fall.

December to March is your best bet.
View Quote
Which ranches/outfits would you recommend?  Looking at their websites, they all look respectable, and I've had a hard time trying to find a good one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Which ranches/outfits would you recommend?  Looking at their websites, they all look respectable, and I've had a hard time trying to find a good one.
View Quote
Heli hunter
Cedar ridge

Those are the two I know that are top knotch
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's helpful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, that's helpful.
Bruh, SideCarGT has already told you that it's about location, not time of year.  Where the hunting is good, it's always good.  Where it sucks, it always sucks.  "East Texas" might sound like a location to someone from Indiana, but you need to realize "East Texas" is twice as big as your entire state.

If you had started out with "I'm gonna be in Houston but would travel 2 hours" I would've just hooked you up with a buddy.  Your loss.  Try being more specific with your questions if you want specific answers. Name a town.

Quoted:
most of the respectable outfits won't fly in the summer to early fall
Where did the OP say he wanted to heli hunt?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bruh, SideCarGT has already told you that it's about location, not time of year.  Where the hunting is good, it's always good.  Where it sucks, it always sucks.  "East Texas" might sound like a location to someone from Indiana, but you need to realize "East Texas" is twice as big as your entire state.

If you had started out with "I'm gonna be in Houston but would travel 2 hours" I would've just hooked you up with a buddy.  Your loss.  Try being more specific with your questions if you want specific answers. Name a town.

View Quote
he didnt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I lived near Houston, in the Woodlands for awhile, so I've got an idea of the size of at least part of Texas.

I've hunted in the summer and I've hunted in the Spring.  I have not hunted in the Fall, so that's why I asked.  As far as heli hunting, I'm not sure where that would be, but I'm guessing not far out of Houston, as it seems more outfits are in that area.   My brother-in-law is an exec with a company whose investors own a great deal of land all over Texas.  Several have said they'd let us hunt their land, whether by ground or by air, or both.  I just don't know where the best location would be that time of year.  That's why I asked, and again, why I didn't specify.  

Thanks again to those who were helpful earlier in the thread.  I've also contacted a few friends in Texas who have offered up some good advice, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:"East Texas" might sound like a location to someone from Indiana, but you need to realize "East Texas" is twice as big as your entire state.
View Quote
Lol, that statement reminds me of something a buddy from Arkansas told me.  He said, "You know why Texas women have trouble with depth perception?  Because all their lives they've been told 4 inches is 8!"

Until now, I thought he was just joking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had good luck in oct. the worst month for me seems to be in feb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top