Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2017 1:38:29 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've never hunted hogs before, but I'd like to try it this summer. I and two friends would like to hunt in Missouri, preferably within a few hours distance of St Louis. All three of us will be using semi auto 308s. I handload, so I will be supplying ammo for our group. We are conflicted, we don't know if we want to go to a guided hunt, or just find some amenable landowners who would allow us to eradicate these pests for them.

What is an optimal 308 caliber bullet for hunting hogs, preferably under 30 cents per bullet?

Are most landowners in that region willing to allow strangers to hunt their ground?

Is a case or two of beer a fair payment for a landowner?

What is the terrain like in that region? Farmland, woods, pasture?

Are we expected to dispose of the carcasses?

I have read that a license is required for out of state hunters. Can anyone comment on this? I had thought that pests could be shot without licensing.

Thanks folks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? Beuller?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok I am not a expert, I go to Texas once or twice a year for the past four years or so. My majority of hog hunting is at night over feeders using night vision goggles and scope. My buddies use green or red hunt lights like wicked lights or similar. We have good night's and sometimes not so good....it's hunting so it's better than working. We have killed hogs using.223, 300 blackout and 308. We have used fmj ,Barnes vortex and Remington hog hammer to drop them. So if your loading your own stuff, you can't go wrong with hornady a max or v max, Barnes tsx maybe.
You might be paying a premium to hog hunt in Missouri, if I could make a suggestion and look for a semi guided hunt in Oklahoma or Texas and tell the guides you can handle the quarter of the hogs to save you $. When we looked at trying hog hunting Missouri was out of our league for the $. This is just a opinion based on my experiences, don't worry so much about what bullet can kill just practice and get good at drilling them in the brain or spine it will drop them and you won't have to blood track them. Unless you know someone already your going to have a hard time finding landowners willing to let total strangers hunt their property.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
AC 130 gunship....that would be like:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It's going to be very difficult to find some land owner who will let you come in and hunt.  You may be a good shooter and respectful guest but there are many more who is not so most land owners will not want to take that chance.  Many land owners had their equipment and animals shot accidentally and don't want to take a chance.  As for helping to control the hog infestation, no amount of hunting/shooting will do that and in most cases only make it worse.  Most land owners know to trap hogs to control their infestation.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what the area is like for people. In my area, most landowners, including myself, allow folks from Maryland, Iowa, Washington, all over, to hunt our land, usually in exchange for a token gift, like a sack of potatoes or a hundred dollar bill, or some mest from the hunt. 1000 dollars per person per day is absurd.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you injure yourself unless you sign a liability waiver the land owner could be held responsible to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars,
View Quote
In Florida even if you sign a liability waiver chances are that land owner will get sued because lawyers know that insurance companies are willing to settle for couple thousand dollars as it would be cheaper than going to court and trying the case.  Believe me if somebody get injured on your property lawyers will be all over it.  It's a shitty situation but it's the way it is these days. On the other hand LEO in rural areas take trespassing very seriously and if you have a gun with you while trespassing it's felony charge with severe consequences.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
My hunting insurance was dropped do to the doggy boy's posting videos of hand catching. So we are on our own if someone decides to hog hunt and gets hurt. To purchase hog hunting insurance now is cost prohibited. I would suggest using a retable guide that is bonded and insured. Now Oklahoma has lots of public land with lots of hogs but it requires a lot of work to pattern and locate them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Book a night hunt with a guide.   If It really flutters your putter buy some thermal.....and a ranch in TX or OK.  That's how you do it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Book a night hunt with a guide.   If It really flutters your putter buy some thermal.....and a ranch in TX or OK.  That's how you do it.
View Quote
Now that's really expensive! Then you could spend  $10,000 a year on insurance and run a few cow's and fight the hog's for hay meadows. All the while listening to people run you down cause you charge to hunt while they restock you and trespass. Did I leave anything out?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Now that's really expensive! Then you could spend  $10,000 a year on insurance and run a few cow's and fight the hog's for hay meadows. All the while listening to people run you down cause you charge to hunt while they restock you and trespass. Did I leave anything out?
View Quote
Why would you run pay/charge hunts on your own place?  Why would you take any shit from retard locals?  Why would you let them trespass?   I always hear east Texas and Oklahoma guys saying that trespassing and poaching and having locals fuck you is just the way it is.  Fuck that.  Yeah you left out that you spend 4-5 years and a fuck ton of money on fences and pens and feed trucks and feed bins before you break even on the cows lol!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why would you run pay/charge hunts on your own place?  Why would you take any shit from retard locals?  Why would you let them trespass?   I always hear east Texas and Oklahoma guys saying that trespassing and poaching and having locals fuck you is just the way it is.  Fuck that.  Yeah you left out that you spend 4-5 years and a fuck ton of money on fences and pens and feed trucks and feed bins before you break even on the cows lol!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When local sherifs change so do the poachers and who can touch them. Down here it's who you know and who you blow! And I ain't worth a damn at kissing ass! But it was kinda fun taking the duck hunters they paid well and when I got ready to sell that place in the bottoms I made a pretty good profit selling it to a couple of lawyers. I have seen game rangers sent packing for writing the wrong person a ticket. You have to remember the local judges trespass too. So no sympathy there unless you pay for it. Most of the cops are Cidiots and side with the poachers. We call them the Fraternal order of Poachers. But on a brighter note it's slowly getting better. Several of the older judges have died off and the younger ones are starting to want paid land that's managed to hunt off of. You should hear some people cry cause I dropped my hunting insurance and quit trying to lease enough land to make a little extra money. People are lazy and want someone else to lease the land and build the food plots etc. Wireless game cameras are slowing down the trespassers now cause it's harder to argue with a video or a picture. But we still have a ways to go. West Texas realized years ago there was money in Big Deer and that I think changed a lot of the way the law worked and there was less people per square mile. We have small land owners all over and they think sense they live next to the larger guy that they are entitled to hop the fence. And a lot of the times the poachers are minors and judges go easy on them. Then there is the you can't get blood from a turnip adage. Some people just don't have anything and it does no good to suit them. What is going to eventually bite the poachers in the ass is the amount of land being cut up into smaller tracts. Soon there is going to be nothing really left to trespass cause nothing will be big enough to make it worth while.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Florida has some of the best hog hunting and I believe there are still charities that do runs so it wouldn't require any sort of permit.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Start reaching out to family and friends to see if you can find either a farmer or a landowner or a lease holder that
1. Wants pigs dead
2. Doesn't want to do it himself
3. Trusts you to do it

Part three is the hard one.  If you can find someone you know or have someone that can vouch for you, you have a good chance.  Otherwise you will have an uphill battle trying to convince a guy to let some random strangers on his property at night to shoot guns. 
If you are in this position, you better show up clean cut and sharp when you make your pitch.  Offer whatever you think is appropriate. Understand and be sympathetic to the landowners concerns, if he feels like you "get it" you have a good chance.  He wants to know that you aren't going to kill his cows, tear up his roads, or put bullet holes in his equipment.  It helps if you grew up on a farm and know how to act on one.  

Keep in mind that once people get into a deal like this they guard it jealously.  You will be lucky to find an open spot these days unless it is family/friends.  

If you do score a spot to go, treat that like gold man.  Don't litter, in fact pick up other people's trash.  Offer meat to the landowner.  Let him play with your NV, don't get fussy if he asks to tag along and shoot.  Make sure you relock locked fences.  Don't rut up his roads and fields.  If you show up in a mud hogger, he's going to get nervous.  

Also, BE WARY, often times the farmer who wants pigs dead is not the land owner and does not have the authority to let you kill pigs, but he'll tell you he does.  I can't tell you how uncomfortable a situation this is to be in once you find out the truth.  Gracefully ask if the man giving you permission is the landowner and if he isn't gracefully ask for the landowners contact info or some assurance that he is aware and OK with you being there.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Start reaching out to family and friends to see if you can find either a farmer or a landowner or a lease holder that
1. Wants pigs dead
2. Doesn't want to do it himself
3. Trusts you to do it

Part three is the hard one.  If you can find someone you know or have someone that can vouch for you, you have a good chance.  Otherwise you will have an uphill battle trying to convince a guy to let some random strangers on his property at night to shoot guns. 
If you are in this position, you better show up clean cut and sharp when you make your pitch.  Offer whatever you think is appropriate. Understand and be sympathetic to the landowners concerns, if he feels like you "get it" you have a good chance.  He wants to know that you aren't going to kill his cows, tear up his roads, or put bullet holes in his equipment.  It helps if you grew up on a farm and know how to act on one.  

Keep in mind that once people get into a deal like this they guard it jealously.  You will be lucky to find an open spot these days unless it is family/friends.  

If you do score a spot to go, treat that like gold man.  Don't litter, in fact pick up other people's trash.  Offer meat to the landowner.  Let him play with your NV, don't get fussy if he asks to tag along and shoot.  Make sure you relock locked fences.  Don't rut up his roads and fields.  If you show up in a mud hogger, he's going to get nervous.  

Also, BE WARY, often times the farmer who wants pigs dead is not the land owner and does not have the authority to let you kill pigs, but he'll tell you he does.  I can't tell you how uncomfortable a situation this is to be in once you find out the truth.  Gracefully ask if the man giving you permission is the landowner and if he isn't gracefully ask for the landowners contact info or some assurance that he is aware and OK with you being there.
View Quote
Damned good advice.

Now don't tell the landowner how to manage his business.
Don't show up with extra friends plus one's almost always come back with another friend.
Don't drink even beer cans in the back of your utv or truck suspiciously make it out.
Haul off your kill bones are hell on hay equipment.
Don't brag at the local coffee shops or gun shops. People are always to eager to repeat and embellish what you say. Just ask president Trump.

Oh present liability insurance and a presigned liability waiver. Hunters insurance wins more lease bids down here than anything...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're willing to drive down to TX, get a temporary out-of-state hunting license and go to a hunting ranch that offers hog hunts. My Dad and I went to Boars Creek Ranch about an hour and a half from Dallas for the weekend. We hunted at night while sitting in a blind with a timed feeder. We got 2 pigs, and for an extra $40 or so, our guide butchered the meat for us - well worth it in my opinion. We stayed in a nice, heated cabin with bunk beds and a nice bathroom and shower. We also got fed a great breakfast and dinner by the host. The ranch also included a little range to zero in your rifle and they even offer bowhunts. It was a bit expensive, though, but the experience of hunting with my Dad who lives out of state was priceless.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top