Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 1:30:09 PM EDT
My wife got my cousin and I a hog hunting trip for our Birthdays. She got a deal for 3 hogs (100lbs and under) for a decent price. I got a 40 pounder, 99 pounder and my cousin got a 120 pounder. It was fun, and we we'll probably do it again in the future. But here's my question. The guys that process the hogs, do it so fast, and were just launching large chunks of meat into the cooler. Other than the ribs, tenderloins, and the backstraps, I can't make heads or tails of what the other cuts of meat are, so I'm not really sure how to cook them. Do I just treat everything like it's a shoulder, or picnic roast and make pulled pork with it? 

The largest one was processed, and we donated the meat.

The smallest one, was cleaned, and just split down the chest. The guys that ran the facility said to just put the whole thing on the grill. Any good recipes or techniques for that?

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#1]
fire below seasoning above. Caveman did it follow your instincts.

once seasoned to taste put frenchs mustard and brown sugar all over it and smoke over mesquite.  La Rue has the perfect seasoning for it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Bbq seasoning, pork rub etc for seasonings. I like a sweet tangy style bbq sauce for baste/marinade. Cook low and slow. The meat is very lean and will dry out if overcooked, but u gotta make sure it's fully cooked bc of disease/parasites.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My wife got my cousin and I a hog hunting trip for our Birthdays. She got a deal for 3 hogs (100lbs and under) for a decent price. I got a 40 pounder, 99 pounder and my cousin got a 120 pounder. It was fun, and we we'll probably do it again in the future. But here's my question. The guys that process the hogs, do it so fast, and were just launching large chunks of meat into the cooler. Other than the ribs, tenderloins, and the backstraps, I can't make heads or tails of what the other cuts of meat are, so I'm not really sure how to cook them. Do I just treat everything like it's a shoulder, or picnic roast and make pulled pork with it? 

The largest one was processed, and we donated the meat.

The smallest one, was cleaned, and just split down the chest. The guys that ran the facility said to just put the whole thing on the grill. Any good recipes or techniques for that?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/JTBarnes/Hogs_zpsbvqlqlvi.jpg

Thank you
View Quote

Congratulations on putting some meat into the freezer.  Where did your hunt take place at?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the outdoor edge butcher cd's and they will help you learn how to cut up deboned meat.
As far as fry meat cut it thin and bacon grease or olive oil and plain old salt and pepper.

Grilling small cuts soak in olive oil or Italian dressing. For larger cuts such as roast it's plain hard to beat a potluck dinner. Plenty of vegetables onion garlic with touch of chilli powder. Cook covered in a crock pot or dutch oven. I suppose a can cooker would work too.

For smoker let it smoke for an hour or two then cover and add some bacon grease or olive oil. Wild pig dries out fast. Yellow mustard is your best seasoning batter brown sugar salt cayenne and chilli powder are good rub basic ingredients. Makin your rub is part of the fun use your imagination and drive your wife wild. P.S. sometimes you need to reglaze your cut of meat. This is when mixture of rub and mustard comes in handy. Another great ingredient to add to your mustard is maple syrup. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Congratulations on putting some meat into the freezer.  Where did your hunt take place at?
View Quote
Thank you. Our hunt was at Tiger Island Outfitters in Cedar Key, FL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top