BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Hogs in the yard (Page 1 of 12)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 4/15/2017 1:50:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner]
I've posted on this site for a while, but never much about my own yard.  So, for the last few years we've had hogs pass through and show up sporadically several times a week and then disappear for months.  The last time I saw any on my game camera was back in November.  Checked the game camera today and over the last 4 days we've had a group of 21 hogs show up twice...one occasion was around 5:30 in the evening (surprised none of us saw them!).  This group appears to have a couple sows, a boar, and about 18 (best I can count) little ones in it.

Here's a pic:
Attachment Attached File

Here is the pet monitor camera system I use to view the feeder area at night:
Attachment Attached File

Another game camera pic:
Attachment Attached File

View from the pet monitor inside my house at night:
Attachment Attached File

Here is a video of the last hog I saw (and shot) back in November.  You can see the steam escaping out of him on impact.  208gr Amax out of a .300 Blackout.

Here's another one from back in October.  Also a 208gr Amax / .300 Blackout.

Looks like I'm going to need to check the camera more frequently the next few nights...

Anyone else have interesting stuff going on in your backyard?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By newBMowner:
I've posted on this site before, but never much about my own yard.  So, for the last few years we've had hogs pass through and show up sporadically several times a week and then disappear for months.  The last time I saw any on my game camera was back in November.  Checked the game camera today and over the last 4 days we've had a group of 21 hogs showing up...one occasion was around even around 5:30 in the evening (surprised none of us saw them!).  This group appears to have a couple sows, a boar, and about 18 (best I can count) little ones in it.

Here's a pic:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/1-187706.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/2-187708.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/3-187713.JPG

Here is a video of the last hog I saw (and shot) back in November.  You can see the steam escaping out of him on impact.  208gr Amax out of a .300 Blackout.
Video

Video 2

Looks like I'm going to need to check the camera more frequently the next few nights...

View Quote

Wow, that is a big group for sure.  How far did the one with the Amax hit run?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Got fox, coyote and bear running around here (along with deer, elk cow and turkey).  Haven't seen a bobcat or a mountain lion, but I know they're around.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Ran around 100yds.  I've got some Expanding Subsonic monolithic copper bullets I need to zero in my rifle...I'm curious to see how those work.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:14:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#4]
Glad I don't have bears to worry about.  Having elk around would be fun though.  I'm sure we have a small numbers of lions around here but I've never seen one on my camera.  I would love to see one, but with small kids around I really am fine with none being close.  Here's a video I took of a bobcat.  Watched him for a long time.  Decided not to pull the trigger.  It was just fun getting to see one.  It was pure luck that I happened to look outside at a time when he was there because based on my game camera that covers my water trough they don't come by but about once every 6 months or so.

Bobcat 7 22 2016 short version

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Got fox, coyote and bear running around here (along with deer, elk cow and turkey).  Haven't seen a bobcat or a mountain lion, but I know they're around.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I've posted on this site for a while, but never much about my own yard.  So, for the last few years we've had hogs pass through and show up sporadically several times a week and then disappear for months.  The last time I saw any on my game camera was back in November.  Checked the game camera today and over the last 4 days we've had a group of 21 hogs showing up...one occasion was around even around 5:30 in the evening (surprised none of us saw them!).  This group appears to have a couple sows, a boar, and about 18 (best I can count) little ones in it.

Here's a pic:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/1-187706.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/2-187708.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/3-187713.JPG

Video

Video 2

View Quote

Where in TX? I has NOD, IR Lasers, ARs and ammo standing by...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#6]
We are near DFW.  The hogs will likely show up once or twice more and move on.  They tend to be difficult to pattern too.  Usually it is just dumb luck that they show up on a night i check for them.  If they start tearing up my yard or get consistent i may ask for backup :)

Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
We are near DFW.  The hogs will likely show up once or twice more and move on.  They tend to be difficult to pattern too.  Usually it is just dumb luck that they show up on a night i check for them.  If they start tearing up my yard or get consistent i may ask for backup :)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Roger that!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Set up a battery powered outdoor LED light with motion sensor.
Hogs will get used to the light pretty quick and you'll see the light come on from the house easily.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a couple of those driveway alarms that chime when they detect motion.  Problem is that raccoons, deer, whatever always tend to set them off and it's just not worth ruining my sleep for false alarms.  I check the camera every so often in the evenings and more frequently on weekend evenings.  If they keep returning, odds are they will run into some bad luck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a couple of those driveway alarms that chime when they detect motion.  Problem is that raccoons, deer, whatever always tend to set them off and it's just not worth ruining my sleep for false alarms.  I check the camera every so often in the evenings and more frequently on weekend evenings.  If they keep returning, odds are they will run into some bad luck.
View Quote
I have got some of the rainier 300 BLK HP to share in the interest of real-world testing...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi, thanks for the offer.  I've got my rifle zeroed up for my Amax loads at the moment and not sure when I'll get to make it to the range to re-zero for my subsonic expanding ammo much less any new stuff.  I'd love to try out the Rainier 180gr HPs (I didn't realize they were an option until your post about them), but I'd hate accepting any from you without knowing I'd be able to deliver results anytime soon.  Your call though.  If you use paypal I might be able to buy a handful off of you since they appear to be out of stock everywhere I've looked.

Originally Posted By j97531:

I have got some of the rainier 300 BLK HP to share in the interest of real-world testing...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#12]
Update: Big daddy decided to show up.  According to the game camera I missed him Sat night by just a couple of minutes...I stayed up until 2AM and he apparently came at 1:47AM, but only stayed for about 3 minutes...and my interval of checking the camera was 5-10min :(  What luck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:28:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j97531] [#13]
Hi, thanks for the offer.  I've got my rifle zeroed up for my Amax loads at the moment and not sure when I'll get to make it to the range to re-zero for my subsonic expanding ammo much less any new stuff.  I'd love to try out the Rainier 180gr HPs (I didn't realize they were an option until your post about them), but I'd hate accepting any from you without knowing I'd be able to deliver results anytime soon.  Your call though.  If you use paypal I might be able to buy a handful off of you since they appear to be out of stock everywhere I've looked.

View Quote
Send me a PM with how many you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TNVC:
Mow dem down!

View Quote
A mini gun with tracers every fifth round would be so Sweet!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#16]
Lots of action the last couple days.
Here's a couple of the latest to show up...
In the bottom video I actually got two...there was a piglet lined up behind the sow.  I also have taken out another medium size boar in the last couple days, but I accidently flipped the DVR switch off and missed getting video of the shot.

Here's a still pic of the one that I didn't get video of...another shot to the top of the head.  Very much like the lone hog in the video above.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]

What optic are you running?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#18]
Nothing fancy, it's a Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x with a UNV Mini-DVR.  Other than short battery life I've been very happy with it, and the DVR is great.  It requires IR illumination (and it has it's own built in illuminator which is pretty good), but for hunting it works just fine, and I find that the 4.6x magnification is just about perfect for my needs.

In the second video in my previous post you can see the illumination ring from the onboard illuminator.  It was set on its highest setting, but it seems weak in the video due to the large amount of illumination coming out of my IR floodlight that is mounted next to my Pet Monitor camera mentioned in the OP.  The onboard illuminator works great though.

Sometimes using the onboard illuminator helps catch a frame or two of the bullet flying out...a reflection off the flat back of the bullet's boattail, but this time it didn't work.  My outdoor IR Flood light is more than enough to use the scope, but it can't light up the back of the bullet from where I have it mounted in relation to where I shoot from.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Be careful night shooting pig's is highly addictive.  I was hoping the sow would drop.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:01:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#20]
Haha!  Funny, I was hoping she WOULDN'T drop  That shot placement was intentional.  I had already dealt with a boar that I shot earlier that same night (the one I didn't get video of), was showered and ready for bed when I spotted this group.  That shot placement is my "go run off 150yds, die, and leave me alone" shot.  I used the same shot placement on one of the hogs up in the OP back late last year.

Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Be careful night shooting pig's is highly addictive.  I was hoping the sow would drop.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Meanwhile in Florida........

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Get after it!!!! :)

Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#23]
No hogs the last two nights according to the game camera...we'll see how long they stay away.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like the big one is still in the area...haven't seen the rest since I thinned them out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#25]
This one was last Friday morning at 6:15 AM out my backdoor, just outside of Edgewood, TX.
Attachment Attached File

She had five piglets with her of which four made it back into the woods.
We've had her, a big boar(hit on the highway 3 weeks ago) and two mid size boars (teenagers)
visiting our place quite often.

We'll be after the two mid-size ones next week. Have not seen the remaining piglets since the sow was killed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#26]
That's a pretty good sized sow.  Saw your other post...I'm guessing those piglets became snacks for coyotes.  

Originally Posted By pasquale91:
This one was last Friday morning at 6:15 AM out my backdoor, just outside of Edgewood, TX.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/RIP-Stripe-Momma-201243.JPG

She had five piglets with her of which four made it back into the woods.
We've had her, a big boar(hit on the highway 3 weeks ago) and two mid size boars (teenagers)
visiting our place quite often.

We'll be after the two mid-size ones next week. Have not seen the remaining piglets since the sow was killed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#27]
I did a hasty install of a couple of my motion sensors on the feeder this evening...the big lone hog is coming all hours of the night and only stays for ~10min.  Periodically checking my security/pet camera is not cutting it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I did a hasty install of a couple of my motion sensors on the feeder this evening...the big lone hog is coming all hours of the night and only stays for ~10min.  Periodically checking my security/pet camera is not cutting it...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Motion-Sensors-201813.JPG
View Quote
I hope you nail him. I got a single boar hitting 3 different feeders over a mile apart. And he's avoiding going in the traps. He starts and travels 3/4 mile to one feeder then goes a half mile back in to the next feeder then 3/4 mile to the next. And who knows where on the neighbors land.  I have let the feeders all run out except for what's in the traps. So it's a game of patience now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#29]
That's a pretty good sized sow.  Saw your other post...I'm guessing those piglets became snacks for coyotes.  
View Quote
Here's to hoping nature takes it's course.
What ranges are you shooting with the Sightmark?
All of ours is 100 yds or less, and we're interested in something like that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#30]
All the videos above using the Sightmark were at 45-50yds.  I have used 1x and 1.5x NV in the past and I find that the 4.6x of the Sightmark is just about perfect for 50-100yds.  Not to much, and not too little.

Here's to hoping nature takes it's course.
What ranges are you shooting with the Sightmark?
All of ours is 100 yds or less, and we're interested in something like that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice pork chops delivered to you back door
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#32]
The wife called me after checking the cameras this morning.
Still have two piglets roaming about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I guess 2 is better than 4 :)  Still a good chance coyotes will catch up to them though I suppose.

The wife called me after checking the cameras this morning.
Still have two piglets roaming about.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Went all weekend and no hogs on the game camera...maybe this group has gotten the message and moved on.  Now I seem to have a pesky armadillo tearing up the yard...can't seem to catch a date with him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Dang....one came last night.  I guess it's not over yet...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:34:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#36]
Finally...got the armadillo tonight that has been wrecking my yard.  Got him as he was just about to make it to the treeline with a pretty long shot using my .22 pistol/can in total darkness.   He has been seriously tearing up my yard for a couple of weeks now.  No pig sightings tonight yet.

Went all weekend and no hogs on the game camera...maybe this group has gotten the message and moved on.  Now I seem to have a pesky armadillo tearing up the yard...can't seem to catch a date with him.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#37]
My little sounder came through the other morning as I was leaving for work.
1-adult boar, 1-teen boar, and 3-piglets(past the toddler stage) No rifle at hand
and they passed right on through. Again this was just after sunrise.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:29:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#38]
My little sounder came through the other morning as I was leaving for work.
1-adult boar, 1-teen boar, and 3-piglets(past the toddler stage) No rifle at hand
and they passed right on through. Again this was just after sunrise.
View Quote
Funny how they always seem to know when is the best time to catch us off guard.  Good luck connecting with them.  

I haven't seen any on my game camera in over 10 days.  Although similar to your situation, when I got home the other night I was surprised to see another armadillo right next to my garage digging next to my wife's rose bushes...by the time I got inside to get the .22 it was nowhere to be seen :(  I probably should have just kept him in sight and used something out of the garage to club him!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Funny how they always seem to know when is the best time to catch us off guard.  Good luck connecting with them.  

I haven't seen any on my game camera in over 10 days.  Although similar to your situation, when I got home the other night I was surprised to see another armadillo right next to my garage digging next to my wife's rose bushes...by the time I got inside to get the .22 it was nowhere to be seen :(  I probably should have just kept him in sight and used something out of the garage to club him!
View Quote
I've had them do that also around some oleander looking bushes on the property. Half the time there in the bush, motionless, sitting up, listening for you.
Suppressed .22 and a red-lens flashlight gets them everytime.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm with you on that one.  It was 1AM right outside our bedroom window so I didn't want to wake wife/kids up with the pistol I had on me.  Wish I would have had my .22/can with me.  Seriously thinking about leaving my shovel within easy reach for just such an occasion.  

I've had them do that also around some oleander looking bushes on the property. Half the time there in the bush, motionless, sitting up, listening for you.
Suppressed .22 and a red-lens flashlight gets them everytime.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:58:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#41]
One lone boar is back...but has only showed up on a couple of nights out of the last two weeks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#42]
The usual suspect was back a couple days ago...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:47:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#43]
Finally got him the other night :)

He only had been coming 5-10 min every 1.5-2wks...I got lucky and turned the camera on right before bed one night to check, and he was at the feeder.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#44]

He only had been coming 5-10 min every 1.5-2wks...I got lucky and turned the camera on right before bed one night to check, and he was at the feeder.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/111-227162.JPG
View Quote
Good job op! My camera is giving me fits. Had cell signal and now it doesn't. So I guess I gotta move the trap.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:16:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#45]
Thanks...this particular guy had been playing hard to get for a while now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#46]
Ops, double tap
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#47]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/111-227162.JPG
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Finally uploaded the video of that last hog...
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Cool!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Good job finally getting him!
I haven't seen mine in a few weeks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Hogs in the yard (Page 1 of 12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top