Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Went after 'em again this weekend.  "Murderman" joined me Sat night.   We had a good time.  

Got first blood with the Hornady 120 gr SST this weekend, a sow about 120 lbs.   I had to do some serious walking uphill to get a shot. I was breathing hard and shooting off shooting sticks, so a shoulder area shot was all I felt comfortable trying.  Hit it a little low in the shoulder.  Worked out good good though, bang flop.  It never even tried to get up.   The thing had 1.5" of fat b/t the hide and the backstrap we cut out.

I grabbed the leg on the entrance side and moved it around, and I could tell the shoulder was broken and smashed.  The leg was just kinda flopping around.  The exit shoulder bone seemed in tact, but the bullet did exit, so with only one data point, so far so good on the SST.  

Entrance:
"

Exit:

Kinda neat pic I took the next day from a blind.

Took more thermal pics.  I'll try to get them uploaded.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
ODM, that was indeed a very nice ranch; thank you again for inviting me up there.     The backstrap from the hog you got the night before was darn tasty as well.

It was great to be able to compare the M24 and HS-307 side-by-side.  They both demostrated their respective pros/cons as expected.  The M24 worked well for me to pick up "gross" signatures even while you were driving, but the 307 was required to better ID hog versus deer versus calf at the longer ranges presented on that huge ranch; overall, the combination seemed to work quite well from my perspective.

Let's either get one of your Trackers finished up or put a 2nd muffler and high seats on my Heep or both, such that transit stealth can be improved.  An IR beacon on each hunter will also further improve safety as we discussed; I should have brought more than one along.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Went after 'em again this weekend.  "Murderman" joined me Sat night.   We had a good time.  

Got first blood with the Hornady 120 gr SST this weekend, a sow about 120 lbs.   I had to do some serious walking uphill to get a shot. I was breathing hard and shooting off shooting sticks, so a shoulder area shot was all I felt comfortable trying.  Hit it a little low in the shoulder.  Worked out good good though, bang flop.  It never even tried to get up.   The thing had 1.5" of fat b/t the hide and the backstrap we cut out.

I grabbed the leg on the entrance side and moved it around, and I could tell the shoulder was broken and smashed.  The leg was just kinda flopping around.  The exit shoulder bone seemed in tact, but the bullet did exit, so with only one data point, so far so good on the SST.  

Entrance:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/shrockworks/IMG_0859.jpg"

Exit:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/shrockworks/IMG_0858.jpg

Kinda neat pic I took the next day from a blind.http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/shrockworks/IMG_0865.jpg
Took more thermal pics.  I'll try to get them uploaded.

got a set up something like your's.. had my corn feeder with timer on trypod also,  during deer season 3 night's in a row hog's dug under one of the legs & tipped it over.. ended up using old cable had an tied it tree ta tree an hung feeder..  u got yours tied down so hog's don't tip it over?
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

got a set up something like your's.. had my corn feeder with timer on trypod also,  during deer season 3 night's in a row hog's dug under one of the legs & tipped it over.. ended up using old cable had an tied it tree ta tree an hung feeder..  u got yours tied down so hog's don't tip it over?

Yeah, the legs are attached to t-posts hammered in and the legs and t-posts are wrapped all around the base with barbed wire about 24" up.   Been working good for several years.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top