Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2015 11:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod]
My hunting partner and I were able to get a pass to hunt yesterday and today. Last night after a little fishing we set up and did some elk calling. The only thing that came in was a nice bear that stopped and winded us at 65 yds. This morning we changed locations slightly and set up for elk again. After 20 minutes we hear branches breaking and we get ready. Out comes the same bear from last night oblivious to us. He fed around for a minute or two then turned my direction where I had set up against a downfall. He walked around the base of the tree and I was thinking I would let him go because we were after elk. When he made the choice to turn at the base of the tree things changed quickly. He was now headed strait at me and still clueless I was there. At six yards I put an arrow strait into his chest. Fortunately he spun, unfortunately he bolted strait into the blackberry and poison oak brambles. The good news was he was dead within 20 yds. The bad news was what I had to crawl through to get to him. That sucked! He was too heavy to drag out at an estimated 300 lb. I set up and quartered him in the thick of the blackberries. Double ouch! I am really looking forward to eating him. His meat smelled wonderful and he was dead before he new it. Now my feet are killing me from the pack out so off to bed!

I just got the data card from ODFW. This bear was 9 years old! Wow...

Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:35:12 AM EDT
[#2]
congrats, and i am wishin i was huntin.Good luck on your Elk.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
great bear congratulations
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats!  Great bear.  Good luck elk hunting.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:43:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#5]
Thanks everyone. I made some backstrap fajitas tonight. They were excellent! I may not avoid killing bears in the future…

The biologist who checked him in said he was an older bear. The front teeth were worn almost to the gum and the k9's had grooves in them. Fortunately he came out of some seriously thick blackberries and his meat benefits from that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome bear OP..congrats..so much fun taking bears..makes the other animals seem kind of tame...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice bear OP
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrat's OP.
6 yards is up close and fun
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations OP!  What broadhead did you use?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Congratulations OP!  What broadhead did you use?
View Quote

100 gr Shuttle T Lock. Entrance wound missed bone the exit went through a rib behind the left leg. Very good performance and a very fast kill. Severing the arteries at the top of the heart will do that...
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Great shot and great bear. Have fun eating.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got the data card from ODFW. This bears was 9 years old. That seems pretty old but then I don't know bears very well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
I just got the data card from ODFW. This bears was 9 years old. That seems pretty old but then I don't know bears very well.
View Quote

Congrats on the bear, 9 is up there, I think they only live to 12 or so.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:15:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#16]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

9 is actually average middle age for northeast bears. a documented 31 year old was taken in 2014 in maine. it had a lip tattoo serial number from 1986 and it had some history before that date recorded. lets just say it was in BAD shape.

the mouth was completely destroyed from infection

this was the bear when it was alive. very old and worn out. its fur was extremely thin and it had very little muscle mass

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:34:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#17]
from maines website on bear hunting . i do remember a story from last year of a 33 year old female taken . the oldest black bear recorded . she was the very first bear tagged by one of the biologist when he started his career

Summary of bear age reports (2008-14)

IFW has been working with hunters and hunter check stations to collect teeth from harvested black bears since 2008. Like most hunted black bear populations, older bears made up a smaller proportion of the harvest with 1/4 of the bears greater than 4 years of age. Bears are long-lived and every year a portion of the harvest includes bears that reach 20 to 29 years old. The oldest bear harvested in Maine were females between 25 and 29 years of age. The oldest males were between 20 and 31 years old.

In 2008, the oldest bear was a 28 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 20 years old.
In 2009, the oldest bear was a 25 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 20 years old.
In 2010, the oldest bear was a 29 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 25 years old.
In 2011, the oldest bear was a 29 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 23 years old.
In 2012, the oldest bear was a 29 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 21 years old.
In 2013, the oldest bear was a 26 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 25 years old.
In 2014, the oldest bear was a 25 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 31 years old.

eta
here's the story on the 33 year old . they say Randy Cross has handled more live black bears than anyone in the world
http://bangordailynews.com/2015/09/04/outdoors/hunter-ends-mystery-of-long-lost-research-bear-in-maine/
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

from maines website on bear hunting . i do remember a story from last year of a 33 year old female taken . the oldest black bear recorded . she was the very first bear tagged by one of the biologist when he started his career

IFW has been working with hunters and hunter check stations to collect teeth from harvested black bears since 2008. Like most hunted black bear populations, older bears made up a smaller proportion of the harvest with 1/4 of the bears greater than 4 years of age. Bears are long-lived and every year a portion of the harvest includes bears that reach 20 to 29 years old. The oldest bear harvested in Maine were females between 25 and 29 years of age. The oldest males were between 20 and 31 years old.

In 2008, the oldest bear was a 28 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 20 years old.

In 2009, the oldest bear was a 25 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 20 years old.

In 2010, the oldest bear was a 29 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 25 years old.

In 2011, the oldest bear was a 29 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 23 years old.

In 2012, the oldest bear was a 29 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 21 years old.

In 2013, the oldest bear was a 26 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 25 years old.

In 2014, the oldest bear was a 25 year-old female and the oldest male bear was 31 years old.

eta

here's the story on the 33 year old . they say Randy Cross has handled more live black bears than anyone in the world

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/09/04/outdoors/hunter-ends-mystery-of-long-lost-research-bear-in-maine/
View Quote
Randy Cross is THE black bear expert.  I know a couple people that have gone tagging with him.  His knowledge on black bears is unmatched IMO.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By IceDiver:
Randy Cross is THE black bear expert.  I know a couple people that have gone tagging with him.  His knowledge on black bears is unmatched IMO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IceDiver:
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

eta

i called randy once because he was listed as a reference for a guide i was interested in hunting with. he answers the phone and is whispering to me . i told him i could call him back later if he was too busy and he replied "i can talk now, just not very loud because im in a bear den at the moment"

always makes me laugh telling that story
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info! I learned something today!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info! I learned something today!
View Quote

9 is still a nice old mature bear. great trophy !
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrat on your first bear...
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrat on your first bear...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top