Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2015 1:49:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox]
After a successful bear hunt last year, my cousin and I want to take a bear with a bow this upcoming season. We are going to be hunting from the ground and he has a 300wm bolt gun that he backed me up with last year. But for as close as we plan to get I think I need something a little better suited for close range encounters. One option I can easily get is a slug barrel for my 870 and run some high dollar slug rounds in it.

Which route would you go for this situation?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Been hunting like this for years with a buddy and we always have a .44 magnum S&W for the backup guy. Hasn't failed us yet though a Marlin .45-70 would be more to my liking.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I carried my 870 with Benenke Black Magic slugs in AK for a long time.  Fish and Game in AK also use the same Brenneke slugs.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
handgun glock 20
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:

I carried my 870 with Benenke Black Magic slugs in AK for a long time.  Fish and Game in AK also use the same Brenneke slugs.

View Quote
This

shotgun  much better than a rifle for  the close range involved with bears
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wwace:
This   shotgun  much better than a rifle for  the close range involved with bears
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wwace:

This   shotgun  much better than a rifle for  the close range involved with bears

That's kind of my thinking as well, as far as overall power and energy on close and angry targets, a good slug gun seems like an excellent choice.

I highly doubt I would feel comfortable with a handgun as my first choice backup gun. I will be carrying a sidearm, but a long gun would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the 45-70 guide gun
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with those saying a shotgun..thats what I would want if one is carrying a bow......
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:18:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#8]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
I agree with those saying a shotgun..thats what I would want if one is carrying a bow......
View Quote

I think I'm going with this, an 18" shotgun is much more use to me than a 45-70 and it seems like a tube full of black magic or green lightning slugs should do the job.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I couldn't help it, I got myself one of these.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Good looking furniture on the 870, nice sights also, the only thing that you might think about changing is the breacher choke.  

The last time I ran into a bear I didn't have to take his door off the hinges.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Good looking furniture on the 870, nice sights also, the only thing that you might think about changing is the breacher choke.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I was already looking at different chokes last night. Now if I can only find a bayonet to attach, I'll be set

I went with this because I might entertain the thought of putting a mini red dot on it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I'm going to go with these.

484gr slug at 1476 fps with 2538 ft lbs of energy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#14]
when i lived in Wasilla, AK.  a lot of people carried three types of guns: .44 mag,marlin 45-70 and a 12ga. now it seems like everyone says 44mag isn't enough, I'm not sure I agree with that. a six inch 44 with good hard cast bullets will do the job. if I had to chose one of those three guns id go with a 12ga with 3inch slugs
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
This is my bear back up gun.

.50 Beowulf

I have replaced the shitty reflex sight with a 1-4x scope, but for bear back up I would put on some good flip up open sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top