Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2014 12:13:31 AM EDT
Went out yote hunting last week.  No yotes but called in 6 turkeys on a cottontail call.  Pretty cool.  During the down times we took a walk by the creek.  This is what we found.  

Talked to the landownwer and bought a bear tag.  Now off to see if we can find him.  Been told it's a pretty big bear, don't really care just want to check it off the bucket list.  Taking the 458 SOCOM with 300gn TTSX. should perform nicely.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome, just be aware, there will be no bears around one second and then a 300lb bear 40 yds away the next second. They are good at being quiet and pretty smart too. But if you walk along silent and at the ready, you should get after him. Good luck, I'll check back for pics
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

Awesome, just be aware, there will be no bears around one second and then a 300lb bear 40 yds away the next second. They are good at being quiet and pretty smart too. But if you walk along silent and at the ready, you should get after him. Good luck, I'll check back for pics
View Quote
Would you say they are....beary quiet?

Good luck, OP.  I would like to try that some day.  I'm interested to see how the 458 works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well spent the day looking at some pretty scenery.

Got there just after sun-up and stayed till right at sundown.  We know he is still there.  Found a torn up yellowjacket hive.

Too big a hole for a skunk.  He will be back for the rest of the larva.  Will be going back next week.  Season runs till end of Dec so have lots of time.  Landowner gave me full access anytime.  Good to have friends.  

Yea we were expecting to see a big rock were there was none before.  Bears are sneaky.  Heard something in the creek bottom rolling over rocks.  By the time we got there nothing was seen.  Between the bear and cougar in the area the landowner is anxious about his horses.  Will try to help him out for sure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a bear hang up just on the other side of the creek I was hunting while calling last week.  The coast is so damn thick in OR I don't know how anyone tags a bear especially with bait and dogs being illegal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
can you set a stand? the height seems to help with seeing them, plus it gives you a better shooting lane most of the time...need to be in the stand before rise and after set..
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Unfortunately no stands on the property.  Might ask later though.  Plenty of trees and wide open meadows.  Was thinking also of a pop-up ground blind.  We have till the end of the year and then there's next year....
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1676662_.html

You're being talked about.  

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top