BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:

Didn't know any of that, thanks for sharing. This is my first bear so I'm pretty happy with it. We did that measure while the bear was still wearing his skin, just put his belly down and threw a tape on him. And I won't get the skin back until it's on a rug, I can give it a measure then but I'm sure it'll be a bit stretched out at that point. But 9'2'' is massive, congrats on that, I bet that's wild being in the presence of a bear that size.

Here's the paw pic
<a href="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/BoxofRox873/media/IMG_1922_zpsc5540e10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/IMG_1922_zpsc5540e10.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Sweet bear BOR...got any with the hide layed out flat?....Rug or full mount?

Thanks. I don't have many more pics after the inital kill. But we did measure from nose to tail best we could and got 5' 6" and the neck was 33" around. I'm getting a rug made, my uncle is a taxidermist and mostly works in the winter. So it'll be a couple months befote I get that done.

I do have a pic of the paw next to my hand on my camera. I'll post it when I get home tonight.

Thanks would love seeing it..the way I was told to measure a bear(this by an old friend here who had a tannery) was lay the hide out flat, fur down, you then stretch it out until it looks even(in other words you don't stretch from front to rear as hard as you can, or side to side..but instead a nice even "look" to it(ala natural)). then measure from tip of nose to tip of tail, and then from front edge of largest front palm pad to other largest front palm pad(other front foot) add both these measurements together and divide by 2..that is the size of your hide..most guys stretch it as far as they can one direction/measure, then stretch it as far as possible the other direction/measure, then divide...I got lucky, my first hunt I went with 2

awesome old bear hunters and got lucky enough to spot myself a great bear..bad thing is..I most likely will never be able to top it, but I still enjoy going out with others and helping them get theirs...mine squared 9'2" and when I took it scored # 51 in SCI back in 2000...for grizzly bear..just total luck on my part..My son(22 yr old Marine) took his first this spring with a couple of my close friends(I can't go out in the woods right now due to surgeries)..his is a beautiful blond female with chocolate legs..she went 5'6"..he was so stoked..I will never forget when he got back to the cabin...Thanks for sharing yours..Mike

Didn't know any of that, thanks for sharing. This is my first bear so I'm pretty happy with it. We did that measure while the bear was still wearing his skin, just put his belly down and threw a tape on him. And I won't get the skin back until it's on a rug, I can give it a measure then but I'm sure it'll be a bit stretched out at that point. But 9'2'' is massive, congrats on that, I bet that's wild being in the presence of a bear that size.

Here's the paw pic
<a href="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/BoxofRox873/media/IMG_1922_zpsc5540e10.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/IMG_1922_zpsc5540e10.jpg</a>

Yours is a great bear, should make a beautiful rug and its the right size to fit on a wall in a regular home...all good things.another good tidbit that helps is when looking at bear tracks the width of the front paw in soft ground is usually pretty close to the size of the bear..IE; 8" wide track will be close to a 8' bear...comes in handy when you see tracks before seeing the bear... another good ID point is the smaller the ears look the bigger the bear will be, also young bears and females heads appear round, big boars the head appears more blocky....Here's a pic of mine..doesn't look big or trophy size...just looks like a normal average bear..I had no clue and it was actually the biologist at fish and game who told me it was big and needed scored....
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for all the great info. I will put it all to use in my future years of bear hunting.

Your bear looks huge to me...did you get his weight?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Thanks for all the great info. I will put it all to use in my future years of bear hunting.

View Quote
+1 great info people.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:18:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jukeboxx13] [#4]

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/10505088_10202699156977305_6543438884487350988_o_zps789f7865.jpeg

10.5" barrel, handloaded 64gr win pp bullets,  shot at 40yds in the face and he rolled down the incline he was on. Got his feet under him and headed back up and took 2 more to the ribcage and rolled down the incline again. Got back up and then went down 150 yds later.
View Quote
Excellent shot.

3 from a 10.5" so I wonder how a 14.5" might fare.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

No this is alaska, where I got him at was approximately 60 miles from the road on a spring bear hunt(snow machines). after we skinned him(leaving paws and skull in the hide) it took 4 guys (smallest was 240pds.) to get the carcass into my tow sled(we dump the carcasses out in the open where we can keep an eye on them because the wolves will come in and eat them, giving you a chance to harvest wolves as well). We estimated him at 600 pds but that is at best a guess and these weights are with him fresh out of the den from hibernation from winter...the hide with skull and paws I figured was just over 100pds...  The Biologist figured in the fall he would go somewhere around 1000+ pds....Ironically, he was only 5 yrs old(bears reach maturity at 8 yrs so he had some growing left to do).. Oh yeah another really important tip..never ever shoot a bear when its above you on a hill...cause its coming down the hill really fast unless you manage to spine it....trust me on this......
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:43:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#6]
oops..double tap...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#7]

No this is alaska, where I got him at was approximately 60 miles from the road on a spring bear hunt(snow machines). after we skinned him(leaving paws and skull in the hide) it took 4 guys (smallest was 240pds.) to get the carcass into my tow sled(we dump the carcasses out in the open where we can keep an eye on them because the wolves will come in and eat them, giving you a chance to harvest wolves as well). We estimated him at 600 pds but that is at best a guess and these weights are with him fresh out of the den from hibernation from winter...the hide with skull and paws I figured was just over 100pds...  The Biologist figured in the fall he would go somewhere around 1000+ pds....Ironically, he was only 5 yrs old(bears reach maturity at 8 yrs so he had some growing left to do).. Oh yeah another really important tip..never ever shoot a bear when its above you on a hill...cause its coming down the hill really fast unless you manage to spine it....trust me on this......
View All Quotes

That's insane, the guy guessed my bear to be between 8-12 years old but I'll know for sure here in a few months. But it's funny you mentioned to never shoot a bear uphill of you, because that how I got this bear. We were walking along next to a nice size creek and snuck up within 5yds of this bear but still didn't have a visual due to the thick brush. He blew out and ran upstream and stopped again. We got parallel with him and he stopped at 40yds and had about 20ft of elevation on us. He looked righ at us and that's when I fired my first round.

My first round hit between his nostrils and upper teeth. So I'm sure that knocked him out and he rolled down the hill to less than 20yds. He got his feet again and went uphill downstream and I fired 3 times and hit twice. He rolled down the hill again but got in the brush before I could shoot more. We listened to him breathing hard for half an hour before we went to get a visual. My cousin got eyes on him first so he put a 300wm round in him. That did the trick.

And in the pics you can see how thick it is and should be able to see it's pretty steep too. After we gutted it we had to drag it maybe 300yds of up and down and across the creek, that was tough. I weigh 140 and he weighs 180 so it took us a while. It was a big learning experience for both of us.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 2:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#8]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
Excellent shot.  

View All Quotes
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/10505088_10202699156977305_6543438884487350988_o_zps789f7865.jpeg

10.5" barrel, handloaded 64gr win pp bullets,  shot at 40yds in the face and he rolled down the incline he was on. Got his feet under him and headed back up and took 2 more to the ribcage and rolled down the incline again. Got back up and then went down 150 yds later.
Excellent shot.  

I wouldn't hunt bear alone with an AR, that's for sure. My cousin had a 300wm on him the whole time and even then...it only takes a second for them to kill you dead. But if you have an experienced buddy as a back-up and you shoot good bullets and place them correctly (very important), then go for it. And I limited myself to under 100yd shots only.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL...Yep, I shot this one at about 50 yards  above me on a steep hill. I got lucky, he was slightly to my right, when I fired the first round he was moving fast to my right, and I over lead him, but it must have been close, because he slammed on the brakes and just starred at me, just as he took off I fired my second shot, went in right at the back edge of his front shoulder and due to the upward right angle to him it proceeded to catch his spine at the neck...he dropped like a rock and slid down into the tree well of a big spruce..once we got up to him we sat for 1/2 hr before my 2 bear buddies finally climbed into the well and finished him(he couldn't move, just growl and whined like crazy)...
But my buddy a couple years later took a shot on another nice boar uphill and that one the bear on hit took off down hill right for him..he got lucky, he jambed his .06 from short stroking the bolt, but I managed to get a round head on into his bear which turned him away from us just enough...made the heart thump for sure.
 Hers a few pics of where we hunt..looks simple to hunt, but its not, like finding a needle in a haystack..

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#10]
snuck up within 5yds of this bear
View Quote

Holy shit!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Well my wife's previous long term boyfriend bought a .22 mag derringer to take with him camping in case he saw a bear!!!!

What a dork!!!

PS: I've got that derringer now....LOL
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL...Yep, I shot this one at about 50 yards  above me on a steep hill. I got lucky, he was slightly to my right, when I fired the first round he was moving fast to my right, and I over lead him, but it must have been close, because he slammed on the brakes and just starred at me, just as he took off I fired my second shot, went in right at the back edge of his front shoulder and due to the upward right angle to him it proceeded to catch his spine at the neck...he dropped like a rock and slid down into the tree well of a big spruce..once we got up to him we sat for 1/2 hr before my 2 bear buddies finally climbed into the well and finished him(he couldn't move, just growl and whined like crazy)...
But my buddy a couple years later took a shot on another nice boar uphill and that one the bear on hit took off down hill right for him..he got lucky, he jambed his .06 from short stroking the bolt, but I managed to get a round head on into his bear which turned him away from us just enough...made the heart thump for sure.
 Hers a few pics of where we hunt..looks simple to hunt, but its not, like finding a needle in a haystack..
<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/aksnowrider/Picture019.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/aksnowrider/Picture019.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/4-26-2012%20spring%20bear%20hunt/DSC00993.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/4-26-2012%20spring%20bear%20hunt/DSC00993.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/4-26-2012%20spring%20bear%20hunt/DSC00971.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/4-26-2012%20spring%20bear%20hunt/DSC00971.jpg</a>
View Quote

Those are some awesome stories, glad everyone is still around to talk about them. That hunting looks challenging but fun as hell. One of these years I'll have to get up to Alaska and hunt real bears.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mr-L:

Holy shit!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mr-L:
snuck up within 5yds of this bear

Holy shit!

We first heard him when we were on the other side of the creek, which in some areas is 20ft wide and a foot deep or 40 ft wide and just a few inches. So we put the sneak on and crossed the creek and had to do hands and knees crawl once we were on the same side. The brush is pretty thick so there was no visual but we got close enough that he was moving the same bush I was in. He must have finally smelled us and blew out, and I tell you what, i've never whipped a gun up so fast in my life because I didn't know if he was coming in or goin out. We caught up to him shortly after and got our first visual.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#14]
I have one more real good one...couple of guys I don't know were hunting this same hillside I shot my bear on years later..they find a fresh den and the one decides to climb into it..some how he ends up shooting a cub and comes out of the den with momma latched onto his head..lucky for that guy his buddy was a good shot and shot momma off his head killing her and saving him..he got himself chewed up pretty good....not to mention illegal as hell..they didn't prosecute him, I guess they figured getting chewed on that good was reward enough....

Heres a pic from spring of 2012 showing a sow and 3 cubs..hard to see but couldn't get closer with out making them move and didn't want to do that....

the den is the patchy area lower right, just left of it , are two of the cubs, further left is momma and the other cub...we had road right under this hillside 4 days earlier and their wasn't a mark on it..we watched them for another 3 days ..pretty fun....
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#15]

I wouldn't hunt bear alone with an AR, that's for sure. My cousin had a 300wm on him the whole time and even then...it only takes a second for them to kill you dead. But if you have an experienced buddy as a back-up and you shoot good bullets and place them correctly (very important), then go for it. And I limited myself to under 100yd shots only.
View All Quotes

Excellent shot.  

Thanks for the advice, and yea I would not hunt alone without a friend with a bigger caliber for sure.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one more real good one...couple of guys I don't know were hunting this same hillside I shot my bear on years later..they find a fresh den and the one decides to climb into it..some how he ends up shooting a cub and comes out of the den with momma latched onto his head..lucky for that guy his buddy was a good shot and shot momma off his head killing her and saving him..he got himself chewed up pretty good....not to mention illegal as hell..they didn't prosecute him, I guess they figured getting chewed on that good was reward enough....

Heres a pic from spring of 2012 showing a sow and 3 cubs..hard to see but couldn't get closer with out making them move and didn't want to do that....
<a href="http://s266.photobucket.com/user/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/media/4-26-2012%20spring%20bear%20hunt/sowandcubs_1_.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii265/AKSNOWRIDER_2008/4-26-2012%20spring%20bear%20hunt/sowandcubs_1_.jpg</a>

the den is the patchy area lower right, just left of it , are two of the cubs, further left is momma and the other cub...we had road right under this hillside 4 days earlier and their wasn't a mark on it..we watched them for another 3 days ..pretty fun....
View Quote

Wow....you couldn't pay me enough money to dive in a bears den. That's suicidal.

That pic is pretty neat though. That would be fun to sit with a spotting scope on them for a couple hours. I'm envious of the hunting up there, maybe the snowboarding too, but I don't think I'm tough enough to live there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I think you would do fine..the living isn't what you hear really..While we do have 4 full seasons winter is actually the best season as long as you have good hobbies..I hated winter until I got good winter hobbies..they made all the difference..As for outdoor/self reliant lving..I doubt you can find anywhere in the states that can really compare..i tell everyone, if you get the chance....visit..it is worth it...
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I think you would do fine..the living isn't what you hear really..While we do have 4 full seasons winter is actually the best season as long as you have good hobbies..I hated winter until I got good winter hobbies..they made all the difference..As for outdoor/self reliant lving..I doubt you can find anywhere in the states that can really compare..i tell everyone, if you get the chance....visit..it is worth it...
View Quote

I do hope to visit for a couple weeks or so for some hunting. But that's many years down the road. Either way, I got a lot of respect for living the way you live up there. It seems like it would be fun at times but I'm sure there's plenty of tough times as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
380 Two to the head and six to the ass
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:26:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Five with a bow.

Never shot one with a gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Britt-dog:
Five with a bow.

Never shot one with a gun.
View Quote

I'm really wanting to shoot one with a bow now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Well I just took a 100# black bear with my 300 Blackout.... using 110gr Barns Tac TX bullet that I hand loaded......

Bear was treed about 15 feet off the ground and I was about 50 feet away and was able to get a good head shot.. went in lower jaw and we never found the bullet.  The bear dropped and was dead when it hit the ground...  

My first bear kill.....

Not a wopper but its a good start...
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:45:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#23]
Originally Posted By c133jim:
Black bear approx. 225# @ 50 yards with a Marlin 30-30 using Hornady Leverevolution 160g. DRT!!!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By c133jim:
Black bear approx. 225# @ 50 yards with a Marlin 30-30 using Hornady Leverevolution 160g. DRT!!!!!

Almost identical to mine... ~225lb AZ black bear, ~70 yards, 1 shot (quartering) with a 16" Marlin 336Y .30-30 (Skinner iron sights) using 160gr. Hornady FTX copper solid handload with 32.5gr Leverevolution @ ~2,355 FPS

Originally Posted By wparkinson:
Well I just took a 100# black bear with my 300 Blackout.... using 110gr Barns Tac TX bullet that I hand loaded......

Bear was treed about 15 feet off the ground and I was about 50 feet away and was able to get a good head shot.. went in lower jaw and we never found the bullet.  The bear dropped and was dead when it hit the ground...  

My first bear kill.....

Not a wopper but its a good start...

I can't wait to take a bear with my .300 Blackout... I just got a Ruger American Ranch and I'm working up some copper solids specifically for that purpose. I am going to try the 110gr. Barnes and also the 140gr. Hornady MFX (.30-30 bullet), see which shoots better and what I can get good velocity out of with that 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Killed a 350 pound black bear on the Oregon coast mountain range with my 5.56 ar. Not a grizzly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By gasbolt:
Killed a 350 pound black bear on the Oregon coast mountain range with my 5.56 ar. Not a grizzly.
View Quote

How about some pics?
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FiremanBrad] [#26]
125 gr broad head shot from my recurve. Only bear I've killed. Hope to do it again someday.
He ran about 20 yds.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Shot 3 bear with the following

69 gr .223- AR
150gr .30-06- REM 700
180 gr 10mm- Glock 20
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#28]
45 ACP, 230 grain FMJ
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCEX11B] [#29]
I killed 2 in less than 5 minutes in AK with a S&W 629, one shot each. The second one came in before I could get out of the tree.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Not necessarily "small", but my 6.5 Grendel dropped a 300+lb black bear last weekend. One shot drop, pretty impressed with it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Not necessarily "small", but my 6.5 Grendel dropped a 300+lb black bear last weekend. One shot drop, pretty impressed with it.
View Quote

nice. pics of bear?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

nice. pics of bear?
View All Quotes

nice. pics of bear?

275lbs gutted out, 6'1'' nose to base of tail.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#34]

<a href="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/BoxofRox873/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160508_105202782_zpsetnmdh7f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160508_105202782_zpsetnmdh7f.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

nice. pics of bear?

<a href="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/BoxofRox873/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160508_105202782_zpsetnmdh7f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa341/BoxofRox873/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160508_105202782_zpsetnmdh7f.jpg</a>

very nice !
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#35]
44 mag pistol.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
Not me but years ago when I was a kid my grandfather took ~100lb black bear with a 22lr.   We were walking in out woods and a small black bear was getting a little to close and he shot it a few times. It walked around for a few seconds and hit the ground.  I wouldn't hesitate taking one with an AR-15 loaded with a nice bonded bullet. You have 30rds.  Bears go down easier than people think.
View Quote

Any animal shot in the head is going to die.  Most don't have thick enough skulls to stop even a 22lr at close range.  But my experience is far different than yours as far as them going down easy.  My first bear I hit with a 444 marlin perfect double lung shot 265 hornady made a 2" wound going out, only a 100 lb bear and it didn't run but it still took a finisher as it was rolling around on the ground for 30 seconds.  My buddy hit one with a 06 two times that were good shots and it still made it 150 yards that bear weighed 150 lbs.  I took a 214 pound this past weekend.  30 yard shot with 180 grain 300 wsm through both shoulders, bear hit the ground with legs up immediately, I was thinking it was done when it rolled over and jumped up.  ONly went 40 yards but how that bear went  40 yards after a 300 wsm through both shoulders I will never know!  Now all these bears were pushed out of thickets by other hunters so they were all alert, maybe thats the reason.  But in my experience they take a lot more punishment than any deer.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:16:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pajasonc] [#38]
Originally Posted By beardog30:
People over think black bear caliber selection.  Most black bears are not 500 LB's.  250-300 LB's is much more common and many shots are in close from a stand.  No reason .223 with a good bullet wouldn't do the job.  That being said I prefer something like a 30-06.

Now brown bears and Kodiak Grizzly are different story.  Minimum I feel comfortable is 30-06 with a well constructed 180 grain bullet, keeping my shots to under 200 yards.  I prefer a 300 win mag with a 200 grain pill for long distance work or better yet a 375 Ruger, 270 grain for flatter shooting, 300 grain solids for close in stuff.
View Quote

Agree in fact here in PA, where 5 of the top 10 bears have been taken, 200 lbs is average.  That number is brought down by cubs and sows, so 250 to 300 is probably right.  Problem with bears is they are tougher than deer and most places don't have 300 lb whitetails.  Then you have to prepare for the fact that there is a very real chance you will see that 500 to 600 lb monster and you want to have enough gun.  Finally they typically don't leave much of a blood trail and the bigger the hole the better for blood.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Don't want to be a d*ck but your story points out what some of us have said.  A 223 isn't ethical for bear.  You shot the bear 3 times and after 30 minutes it still wasn't dead.  You don't need a cannon, but
Respect the animal 270, 308 range is plenty for even the biggest ones.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Use a bigger caliber on a bear.  The reasons for doing so are simple and should not be broken; out of respect for the bear.  In my opinion.

1. Bear do not consistently bleed well.  The fur and fat cause this.  I have followed up a lot of wounded bear.  You want a large hole in both sides.

2. Bear are usually hunted in warmer weather and the meat can spoil fast. A quick recovery is generally critical.

3. Not using an adequate means is asking for unnecessary drama.  You owe it to the people involved and the bear to avoid this.

The largest caliber I have used on a black bear is a 375H&H.  Smallest was a 44mag revolver(sorting out a bad hit by another hunter)

Archery gear works great if you are a proficient hunter.  This does not give qualification to small caliber guns.  The effects are too different.  Shoot a high arrow weight as fast as you can push it and use an expandable if your setup has enough momentum.  2" holes though and though bleed great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
Not me but years ago when I was a kid my grandfather took ~100lb black bear with a 22lr.   We were walking in out woods and a small black bear was getting a little to close and he shot it a few times. It walked around for a few seconds and hit the ground.  I wouldn't hesitate taking one with an AR-15 loaded with a nice bonded bullet. You have 30rds.  Bears go down easier than people think.
View Quote
Good to know, I was unsure if two people with AR15 were enough to defend against black-bear. Seems like it would do fine in a pinch

(We're looking at wooded property)
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Bears go down when you make a good shot. They also sometimes don't go down right away when you make a good shot. Yes the 7.62x39 is about the same as a 30-30 for short ranges. The problem is that the the 30-30 has a much better selection of proven hunting bullets, including heavier ones. The best being a round nose 170 gr bullet like the Rem core-lokt's, etc. have taken plenty of bear. The only ammo I would consider taking a bear "ethically" wise is TulAmmo 15gr SP, but only as a last resort if no other rifle was available. I don't like or recommend the lighter bullets for bear. Do yourself and the bear favor and go with a .270 or .308 like others have said. That makes sure you have enough power to punch a good hunting bullet as far as you can in the bear or through it. As stated before they don't bleed a lot with thick fur, skin and fat so you want the bear to expire as soon as possible. Either way knowing how well your rifle shoots and shot placement is the key to a good clean harvest.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RealFitness86:

Good to know, I was unsure if two people with AR15 were enough to defend against black-bear. Seems like it would do fine in a pinch

(We're looking at wooded property)
View Quote
Defending against them and hunting them are entirely different things.  I would be perfectly content to defend myself with a ar15 in 223.  I would never choose to hunt a black bear with a 223.  I wouldn't even consider using something less than the 243, 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel class of power.  I have personally taken two one with a 444 and another with a 300 wsm.  Both those calibers were more than was needed but neither bear dropped on the spot and stayed down.  They both made it 30 or 40 yards.  The one with the 300 wsm dropped at the shot I watched it for about 30 seconds and then it got up and went 40 yards.  Thats with a 180 grain power point through both shoulders.  A hunting partner shot one with a 30-06 twice and it still made it 200 yards.   They can be tough animals.  And these were your typical 200 to 250 lb bears.  Here in PA it would not be uncommon to see a 500 lber, every year several are shot over 700 lbs.  You want to be prepared to take the trophy animals.  Agree with many that a 270,308 or 06 are just about the perfect choice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I used a 45 ACP 1911 to kill a medium sized black bear that was attacking my dog. I was about 3 feet away and shot in in the head and chest until the slide locked back. It was quite effective.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:19:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#45]
Originally Posted By pajasonc:

Don't want to be a d*ck but your story points out what some of us have said.  A 223 isn't ethical for bear.  You shot the bear 3 times and after 30 minutes it still wasn't dead.  You don't need a cannon, but
Respect the animal 270, 308 range is plenty for even the biggest ones.
View Quote
I'll agree on the first part, I wanted to try a head shot at close range and it didn't quite work out like I hoped. I have learned from that experience and have stepped up.

But still to this day, I wouldn't feel undergunned out in black bear country with a 5.56 AR and good hunting rounds. But I needed something that would allow me to take longer shots and deliver better results. So I jumped to a 6.5 Grendel. 2 black bears and 2 mule deer in one year and I'm extremely happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:28:01 AM EDT
[#46]
44-40 for black bear. Also used 30-30. I prefer 30-06

Back when I lived where I could hunt grizzly I got one with a 30-30.

Shot placement is big. Bears are scary if wounded, or startled..... or hungry. Bears are scary
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I've killed bear with the 9.3x57, 9.3x62, .303 British, 7.62x54R, .45-70 and .348 Winchester as well as the smallest, the .30-30 and .44 Magnum, the latter of which was a fight on the ground that was trouble.

End of the line, it ended OK, but it was a bad deal.  Here's that one.

Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:52:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: campower] [#49]
Ive killed black bear here in maine every year since 2004. (over bait)

5.56 with a 62gr TTSX worked fine, 6.8 with 95gr TTSX worked lovely, 260 rem with 143 eld-x worked fine, even one bear at 300 yards with a 243 pushing 95gr SSTs.

All shots have been in vitals, and all bear died quickly.

any certerfire will work with proper shot placement.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:53:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: campower] [#50]
delete
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top