Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice job, OP!

So, what was your favorite part of the whole trip?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:10:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deanald2pt0] [#2]
It's hard to pick just one thing.

The amount and variety of animals we saw was amazing.  Coming from an area where whitetail deer is pretty much the only large game, it's just not something I'm used to seeing.  Behind the lodge was a pond with patio, we'd sit out there in the morning or afternoon and watch the animals come in for a drink.  I joke about seeing so many giraffes that by the end of the trip I just stopped taking pictures of them.

The area we were in was beautiful, red rocky soil, a mixture of grassy plains, some hilly areas, and dense thorny trees.  It reminded me a lot of places I've been in the US.

While we have started talking about going back, I realize that may not happen.  So it was nice to be able to share this experience with my brother.  We both shoot gemsbok in the same afternoon.  I didn't post it, but we have a picture together with our trophies, mine a common gemsbok and his a golden.  To be honest, I probably would have never even considered going if it wasn't for him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
fantastic.  I just got back from SA myself and ended up with a Kudu and Gemsbok cow.  I'm already looking for another chance and a new safari rifle in .375 or greater (308 did just fine, but I want to shoot an Eland and possibly a cape next time).
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting photos.

My first reply in here was right after I returned, and my second trip is quickly approaching...

Great job with the hunt!
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fattyfat:
fantastic.  I just got back from SA myself and ended up with a Kudu and Gemsbok cow.  I'm already looking for another chance and a new safari rifle in .375 or greater (308 did just fine, but I want to shoot an Eland and possibly a cape next time).
View Quote
My brother took an eland with his 300 win mag & borrowed one of the PHs 460 for a cape.  He bought a 375 after he got back and our friend bought a 460.  They are talking about going back for lions if the imports ever open back up.  They were given some pretty attractive prices on lions, but passed because they couldn't bring them back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JimPope:
Thanks for posting photos.

My first reply in here was right after I returned, and my second trip is quickly approaching...

Great job with the hunt!
View Quote
I waited a couple months before posting because I wanted some time to reflect on the trip.  If someone asked me if they should go or if I'd go back, my answer would be yes and hasn't changed between than and now.  Although after the high wore off, there were a couple things I wish would have been different.  Now I know and could be more active in planning another trip, were before I was tagging along.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Could you give us some details on what you'd do differently? And why you had to consider whether you would go back or not?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cpl_fisher:

Lol, how did you like shifting with you left hand?
View Quote
@cpl_fisher
Holy smokes. I never saw your post! Sorry...didn't want to come off as rude.
Haha yes, the left hand shifting. I grew up with the left hand shifting thing, but after being in the US for more than 2 decades it became a very distant memory. It takes me a day or 2 to get used to it again - really not my idea of fun to do it at night on JHB highways with taxis coming past me at breakneck speeds!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By deanald2pt0:
The latest South Africa thread from GD the other day reminded me that I had not come back and updated this thread after the hunt.

My 308 with factory Hornady 178gr ELDX did great.  I ended up taking 5 animals total, an impala, blesbok, gemsbok, kudu, & blue wildebeest.

Looking back, I had a great time and would love to go back.  It seems like we saw more animals the first morning than I have seen in an entire lifetime of hunting Indiana whitetail.  There are some things I'd consider doing differently if/when I go back.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0268_JPG-1085393.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0337_JPG-1085394.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0438_JPG-1085395.JPG

The shot on the gemsbok looks like it is to far back, but it was quartering away from me and the PH told me to shoot through to the far shoulder.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0511_JPG-1085396.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0569_JPG-1085397.JPG
View Quote
Wow! Looks like you had a great time! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I miss the place...thinking about heading to the old farm in March/ April 2020. Wife still hasn't seen it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:16:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deanald2pt0] [#10]
Originally Posted By Debo75:
Could you give us some details on what you'd do differently? And why you had to consider whether you would go back or not?
View Quote
I'd go back in a heart beat, assuming I had the money available for the trip and the politics still welcomed outside hunters.

The two big things that bugged me most was that most of the hunting was done from the truck and the upsales.

In more detail, first I expected to spend a lot of time in a truck driving around spotting things with binoculars.  But instead of stalking on foot they would just try to get close enough to shoot from the truck.  I realize the area we were in was real grassy and it would be hard to stalk up on things.  So I dismissed it as being kind of a cultural/regional thing, but I did feel somewhat of the sport was taken away because of this.

The other thing that annoyed me was constant upsales going on.  Pressure to shoot the exotics when just interested in a common.  I think they must believed everyone from America is rich, at least that is the impression I got.  They learned quickly that I was on a smaller budget, and I was left mostly alone after that.  Because of the group, I did end up getting price breaks on my larger animals.  Other than the constant sales pitches and haggling they did take good care of us when we were out hunting.

I would have liked to do a little more spot and stalk hunting.  You know, to make me feel more like I earned it. And less of the used car salesman tactics, you are likely to get more average spenders than big spenders.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]

I'd go back in a heart beat, assuming I had the money available for the trip and the politics still welcomed outside hunters.

The two big things that bugged me most was that most of the hunting was done from the truck and the upsales.

In more detail, first I expected to spend a lot of time in a truck driving around spotting things with binoculars.  But instead of stalking on foot they would just try to get close enough to shoot from the truck.  I realize the area we were in was real grassy and it would be hard to stalk up on things.  So I dismissed it as being kind of a cultural/regional thing, but I did feel somewhat of the sport was taken away because of this.

The other thing that annoyed me was constant upsales going on.  Pressure to shoot the exotics when just interested in a common.  I think they must believed everyone from America is rich, at least that is the impression I got.  They learned quickly that I was on a smaller budget, and I was left mostly alone after that.  Because of the group, I did end up getting price breaks on my larger animals.  Other than the constant sales pitches and haggling they did take good care of us when we were out hunting.

I would have liked to do a little more spot and stalk hunting.  You know, to make me feel more like I earned it. And less of the used car salesman tactics, you are likely to get more average spenders than big spenders.
View Quote
I have some friends that are PH's and quite a few friends that have done guided hunts. I've been a tag-along on a few paid hunts as well. Based on this limited experience, I can say that the bolded and underlined is very much dependent on the outfit.
Some outfits do the truck hunt thing, others get you to the area that the game is in then you hoof it. Lots of walk&stalk. I can't do truck or blind hunting. I simply don't have the patience for it. I'd rather have a unsuccessful hunt but a chance to walk in the bush and do some honest stalking than sitting in a hot ass blind all day by the waterhole...
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 10:17:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: deanald2pt0] [#12]
Originally Posted By boerseun:
I have some friends that are PH's and quite a few friends that have done guided hunts. I've been a tag-along on a few paid hunts as well. Based on this limited experience, I can say that the bolded and underlined is very much dependent on the outfit.
Some outfits do the truck hunt thing, others get you to the area that the game is in then you hoof it. Lots of walk&stalk. I can't do truck or blind hunting. I simply don't have the patience for it. I'd rather have a unsuccessful hunt but a chance to walk in the bush and do some honest stalking than sitting in a hot ass blind all day by the waterhole...
View Quote
I will add, they did not do this with the one guy who had gone hunting with them before.  However he also mentioned to them that he wanted to keep us together some on this trip, so that he could shoot video.  So this may have been easier for them.  Also in one area they did have cape buffalo, so I get that it could have been a safety issue too.

I don't know if it would have bothered me sitting in a blind, I actually kind of expected to do some of that.  Ambush hunting from a blind or tree stand in Indiana is more of the style of hunting I'm used to.  Before the trip I prepped by hiking 4-5 miles multiple times a week on some of the most rugged terrain in the my area and shooting off sticks at 200 yards.  So riding around in a truck and shooting off a pad on top of the cab wasn't what I was expecting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 3:46:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinSpinner] [#13]
You sound like me, I hate the truck hunting, I told my PH on my first trip it felt illegal. Granted the trucks are great for cruising and spotting but I would rather have my boots on the ground. I have hunted from a blind in RSA on a few occasions, two were over waterholes and the other was for leopard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#14]

I will add, they did not do this with the one guy who had gone hunting with them before.  However he also mentioned to them that he wanted to keep us together some on this trip, so that he could shoot video.  So this may have been easier for them.  Also in one area they did have cape buffalo, so I get that it could have been a safety issue too.

I don't know if it would have bothered me sitting in a blind, I actually kind of expected to do some of that.  Ambush hunting from a blind or tree stand in Indiana is more of the style of hunting I'm used to.  Before the trip I prepped by hiking 4-5 miles multiple times a week on some of the most rugged terrain in the my area and shooting off sticks at 200 yards.  So riding around in a truck and shooting off a pad on top of the cab wasn't what I was expecting.
View Quote
Yup blind hunting seems to be the way to go in the US. I suspect it's because of the nature of the terrain and environment....lot's of dead leaves on the floor during season.
The prep you did seems to be in line with my experience. Hiking for hours. Stalking for a bit and then taking a 100 to 200 meter shot. Didn't use sticks though - we were too primitive All in all, would you go back for another hunt? With a different outfitter maybe?
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
You sound like me, I hate the truck hunting, I told my PH on my first trip it felt illegal. Granted the trucks are great for cruising and spotting but I would rather have my boots on the ground. I have hunted from a blind in RSA on a few occasions, two were over waterholes and the other was for leopard.
View Quote
Damn! Leopard hunting from a blind? That would scare the hell out of me. I had the misfortune of coming nose to nose with two leopard brothers on 2 occasions. Once they didn't know I was present (no wind, at night and I was in a sleeping bag on the bed of a truck) and the second time they came at us while I was sitting in the bed of the truck. I've never seen a man jump clean over the cab of a hi-lux till that day. He thought it was a Pep stores blanket laying in the road
We lost so many calves to those two that my cousin ended up taking them out with the R1. Now I feel old haha.
I don't blame you for telling the PH you felt that it was illegal. It's not the right way to do it. It's one thing if you are taking out rabbits, porcupines and hogs digging up your crops, but another when you are paying for a trophy hunt!
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn! Leopard hunting from a blind? That would scare the hell out of me. I had the misfortune of coming nose to nose with two leopard brothers on 2 occasions. Once they didn't know I was present (no wind, at night and I was in a sleeping bag on the bed of a truck) and the second time they came at us while I was sitting in the bed of the truck. I've never seen a man jump clean over the cab of a hi-lux till that day. He thought it was a Pep stores blanket laying in the road
We lost so many calves to those two that my cousin ended up taking them out with the R1. Now I feel old haha.
I don't blame you for telling the PH you felt that it was illegal. It's not the right way to do it. It's one thing if you are taking out rabbits, porcupines and hogs digging up your crops, but another when you are paying for a trophy hunt!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The PH had built a blind out of wooden pallets with brush stuck between the slats. I shot an Impala doe that was used for bait that was placed up in a tree. We sat in that blind 2 nights before the cat came in. Another guy in the blind that also had a leopard tag got the shot since it came in from his side. When the cat hit the bait the PH put the spot light on it, the guy couldn't find it in his scope so he repositioned and shot before he had the muzzle completely outside the blind. The blast from a .300 magnum that close nearly cost me all the hearing in my right ear, I was stunned to the point of nausea for a while. It took several days before I could hear anything but ringing in that ear. For me, that was a bigger danger in blind hunting than the cat was. I didn't feel like going back out before my trip was up so I never got my cat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup blind hunting seems to be the way to go in the US. I suspect it's because of the nature of the terrain and environment....lot's of dead leaves on the floor during season.
The prep you did seems to be in line with my experience. Hiking for hours. Stalking for a bit and then taking a 100 to 200 meter shot. Didn't use sticks though - we were too primitive All in all, would you go back for another hunt? With a different outfitter maybe?
View Quote
I'd would go back again.  In fact we've already started talking about a 3rd trip.  My brother kind of joked about taking a bow next time.  I kind of said I wouldn't want a bow, not that great of a shoot with one, but would consider a crossbow.

That being said, 2 things have to happen before I can go on another trip.  I have to finish paying off the first one. I still have to pay the balance on my taxidermy when it's done and shipping.  My wife also said I have to take her to the U.K.  So it will be a couple years before I can go back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 2:37:37 AM EDT
[#18]

The PH had built a blind out of wooden pallets with brush stuck between the slats. I shot an Impala doe that was used for bait that was placed up in a tree. We sat in that blind 2 nights before the cat came in. Another guy in the blind that also had a leopard tag got the shot since it came in from his side. When the cat hit the bait the PH put the spot light on it, the guy couldn't find it in his scope so he repositioned and shot before he had the muzzle completely outside the blind. The blast from a .300 magnum that close nearly cost me all the hearing in my right ear, I was stunned to the point of nausea for a while. It took several days before I could hear anything but ringing in that ear. For me, that was a bigger danger in blind hunting than the cat was. I didn't feel like going back out before my trip was up so I never got my cat.
View Quote
Wow that sucks! Sorry that you didn't get your cat. They are a pest to farmers. We lost a shitload of animals to them. 300 Winmag seems a bit much for a leopard though - can't even imagine the blast inside a blind! the blind does sound like a solid one though. The blinds I hunted from was just a box with a 2' high slit right around. No protection at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 2:39:27 AM EDT
[#19]

I'd would go back again.  In fact we've already started talking about a 3rd trip.  My brother kind of joked about taking a bow next time.  I kind of said I wouldn't want a bow, not that great of a shoot with one, but would consider a crossbow.

That being said, 2 things have to happen before I can go on another trip.  I have to finish paying off the first one. I still have to pay the balance on my taxidermy when it's done and shipping.  My wife also said I have to take her to the U.K.  So it will be a couple years before I can go back.
View Quote
Yeah, not sure I'd do a bow hunt in Africa but I know many that do. Usually with great success. I suck with a bow as well. Not sure about a crossbow. Never had a chance to shoot one a lot.
Oh yes, money - planning a trip in March to take the wife to SA.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]
@boerseun

How was the trip???
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:
@boerseun

How was the trip???
View Quote
Ehhhh Covid pretty much cancelled the whole thing out. In addition to SA being an absolute statis shitshow with lockdowns and troops in the streets, the real estate market exploded here in the US. Wife has been busier than ever. Maybe next year. Going to try to go back to our old farm, that is now a game farm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Update 01/25/21

Our taxidermy finally arrived yesterday.  The original estimate was having it back in May of last year, so the wait has been about 8 additional months.

I'll try to get some better pictures once things are on the walls.  Here's the thing, we moved into a new house last April.  When I ordered the taxidermy I had a specific idea where I wanted it to go in our old house.  Our new house has an unfinished basement, which I have been slowly turning into a man cave.  So I'm looking for ideas on how to hang the mounts on the concrete walls.  I thought about going directly into the poured walls with tapcons or running a couple of 2x4s vertically and then put 3 or 4 2x8s running horizontally to mount everything too.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Please ignore the ugly carpet, it was already in the basement and came with the house.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like an incredible job on the taxidermy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#24]
It looks great! Glad you had such a good time!

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Update 01/25/21

Our taxidermy finally arrived yesterday.  The original estimate was having it back in May of last year, so the wait has been about 8 additional months.

I'll try to get some better pictures once things are on the walls.  Here's the thing, we moved into a new house last April.  When I ordered the taxidermy I had a specific idea where I wanted it to go in our old house.  Our new house has an unfinished basement, which I have been slowly turning into a man cave.  So I'm looking for ideas on how to hang the mounts on the concrete walls.  I thought about going directly into the poured walls with tapcons or running a couple of 2x4s vertically and then put 3 or 4 2x8s running horizontally to mount everything too.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Please ignore the ugly carpet, it was already in the basement and came with the house.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0483_JPG-1796808.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0484__2__JPG-1796809.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0485_1__JPG-1796810.JPG
View Quote

Nice mounts!  The man-cave is gonna be awesome.  

Personally, I'd go with the 2X4 method.  Concrete walls can pass a lot of moisture through them.  
Having the back of your mounts in direct contact with the concrete could lead to some staining or deterioration over time.  
You might have a chat with your taxidermist and see what he recommends.  He might even have the ideal mounting solution.  

Also, have you considered doing a pedestal mount?  If you have the floor space, they can be a great look.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

Nice mounts!  The man-cave is gonna be awesome.  

Personally, I'd go with the 2X4 method.  Concrete walls can pass a lot of moisture through them.  
Having the back of your mounts in direct contact with the concrete could lead to some staining or deterioration over time.  
You might have a chat with your taxidermist and see what he recommends.  He might even have the ideal mounting solution.  

Also, have you considered doing a pedestal mount?  If you have the floor space, they can be a great look.  

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1730/9241/products/DSC_0029_499x500__compressed_600x.jpg?v=1486755495

View Quote

I hadn't considered moisture from the wall.

I had thought about pedestal mounts and kind of dismissed the idea at first because I know the mounting for an actual pedestal mount is different than for a wall mount.  I don't think I could do anything like what is shown in your picture because I'd need some type of board on the back.  However, your post got me thinking about them again.

I could do a long box, maybe something 8 feet long, 2 feet deep, and 2 feet tall.  I could then attach 4 boards or post to the back to support the 4 mounts.  I could leave the top of the box bare, or add some scenery such as grass, rocks, and sand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Hell, the carpet is PERFECT!  If you lose your dip, you can just rub it into the carpet with a muddy boot and it will blend right in!  

Nice dead heads, too!!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Those look awesome. Congrats man!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is what I ended up with.  I made a 48x30x24 box out of plywood and 2x4s.  I wrapped the box in some rough-cut cedar.  I still need to trim it out, but I'm waiting to finish the top.

I'm going to paint the top of the box and 2x4 to help them blend together.  Then I'm going to try my hand at creating some habitat, adding rock and grass to help camouflage the 2x4s sticking out of the box.  It's not as nice as those fancy pedestal mounts that you see pictures of.  I'm happy with how it's turned out so far, considering I order the mounts almost 1-1/2 years ago expecting to hang them in a different manor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I like that!  If you have any bits of Africana, books, clothing, tribal trinkets, and the like, you could display them on top of the box.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is what I ended up with.  I made a 48x30x24 box out of plywood and 2x4s.  I wrapped the box in some rough-cut cedar.  I still need to trim it out, but I'm waiting to finish the top.

I'm going to paint the top of the box and 2x4 to help them blend together.  Then I'm going to try my hand at creating some habitat, adding rock and grass to help camouflage the 2x4s sticking out of the box.  It's not as nice as those fancy pedestal mounts that you see pictures of.  I'm happy with how it's turned out so far, considering I order the mounts almost 1-1/2 years ago expecting to hang them in a different manor.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51272/IMG_0495_JPG-1804011.JPG
View Quote

Oh Yeah, that's gonna look great!  I really like the arrangement; your taxidermist did a super job, too.  
There's all sorts of things you can do...rocks/habitat, Africana, trophy medallions, copy of your filled tag, framed picture from your hunt, etc.  

You might even be able to get some hide scraps from your taxidermist (or online) and do some insets into the pedestal to dress it up a little.
Most of them have a variety of hides on hand to do patches or repairs.  
That could be down the road a ways.  Basically just tack up some hide on the side and frame it in with some moulding.  
You could do a keystone pattern, vertical stripes, horizontal stripes, lots of possibilities.  

Now, if you're really ambitious, put some swing-out doors in the front and have some shelving inside with a mini-bar and/or some memorabilia from your hunt!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top