Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Buff are what excite me but I wouldn't say "no" to an ele if the fee was minimal.  I could live without the tusks or other trophies as long as I got the eleephant hair bracelet made from the tail.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:10:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BravoSector1] [#2]
I've been there...armed with a camera for Kilimanjaro. I'll go back some day with other armament. If you have the means, go get you some. I saw first hand what the predators do there...it's like nothing I can exlain. If you get a chance...go!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 2:04:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sslous] [#3]
I would not kill an elephant for sport. It just feels weird to me but I do support hunting and anyone that wants to!
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheiMightySeth] [#4]
I would kill an elephant but not like that. I would do it in a more sportsman like manner. I wouldn't have a guide lead me strait to it. I would try to track it myself with minor guidance. I definitely wouldn't shoot it with it staring at me like that. That was kind of cold blooded. I would also have some meat harvested just to say I ate an elephant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 4:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#6]
No way.  That type of hunting serves only two purposes - culling and ego gratification.  I don't care about the latter, and don't need the former (at least not on that scale.)
Carry on, though, if you're into trophy hunting.  It's your life, and none of my business.

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By myitinaw:
Only in self defense... I'm not a hunter, however I am pro-hunter.

Just my choice...

+1.  Great statement.

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, hitting a target 4 feet in diameter from 30 yards. That is what I call a challenge. Granted, that target can charge and stomp you into a crimson mud hole, but you have guides who will get a shot off to prevent that.

Had to respond to stupid PETA - like response. Failed elephant anatomy did ya? The brain inside that 4' circle is about the size of a small loaf of bread. There is an incredible amount of non-vital area in the head of an elephant. It does take skill whether you want to believe it or not.

If elephant hunting is not your thing, don't do it, but it certainly has legitimate purpose. People need to read and learn more about how much one elephant hunt can support the surrounding villages with money from licenses, meat from the animal, employment of villagers for the hunt., not to mention the thinning of the herds for the animals general well being.  I can't afford it or I probably would myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Elephant hunting is not my thing.  But I have nothing against it.  I see no different between this video and shooting a wolf that is trying to eat a cow.  Dead is dead and meat is meat.  

Now if the question is....is it hunting.  It looks like it is.  It is not as if he shot them from a helicopter.  The animal did die quickly.  What more must happen for it to be "good".
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Was involved in the cull of a problem bull in a park in Zimbabwe. I wasn't supposed to be the shooter, but the elephant didn't follow the plan. It turned into an insane ten seconds and he absorbed five rounds of .458 Win mag (the last two from me) while he tried to tusk me. I wish I had a dollar for everyone who's told me that "shooting an elephant is like shooting a bus" or the like. I just say, "try it". I've hunted buff and bears and been treed by rhinos. Elephants are a whole different category.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:

You kill an elephant with your legs.  The rifle is an incidental tool to finalize the reason you are there.

The gunshot is anti-climactic, but a video of a hunting party walking around staring into the sand for 11 days wouldn't have the same production appeal.  

It takes 11 days to find an elephant?  I thought there were so many of them that they need to kill them for population control.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By eracer:

Originally Posted By SevenMaryThree:
You kill an elephant with your legs.  The rifle is an incidental tool to finalize the reason you are there.

The gunshot is anti-climactic, but a video of a hunting party walking around staring into the sand for 11 days wouldn't have the same production appeal.  

It takes 11 days to find an elephant?  I thought there were so many of them that they need to kill them for population control.

I suspect you are just trolling. If you are not, you may be the most obtuse person on ARFCOM.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top