Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
I'm thinking of camo-ing my kayak and taking on a new species to hunt.  I have the gun, a river to hunt, and some fairly good areas to hunt in.  Does anyone have any wisdom to share on setting up the camo on the kayak?  Any helpful hints on how to carry the shotgun?  General tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Not from a kayak but I did hunt ducks from an inflatable raft, on a river, one New Year's Day many years ago.  Killed a few too.  Don't recall doing anything
special to the boat at the time.  Don't take your daddy's expensive skeet over 'n under shotgun.

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Hunted ducks from a canoe before, in lovely Lawn, Texas.  Just don't shoot the guy in front of you or it'll be a lot harder to paddle to shore.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I fish in kayaks all the time....guys hunt out of them around here, but it looks cold and wet to me. I would secure my shotgun somehow....maybe tie it off with parachute cord somehow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
We've got an electric 2-person "kayak" that's more like a low canoe.  Used it for geese many times on the lakes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on where you are it can be cold and wet- which means you'll have on warm clothes and layers.  Very difficult to swim with lots of clothes and waders on.  Just be mindful of personal safety and have your situational awareness tuned to high.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Things I've learned from kayak hunting:

-Don't wear waders.
-Waterproof everything you don't want wet.
-Dummy cord your shotgun.
-Expect to get wet.
-Sit on top with fast grass is the easiest method of concealment.

The above is why I prefer hunting in pit blinds on corn fields.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Put a lanyard with a snap connect for the Kayak to the shotgun.
I use a sit on top (Predator MX)
Try to keep everything in reach, shells, coffee, anchor, lunch......
I put decoys in the rear, but You could float them.

EZ on a lake or big river

Gets real fast on a smaller stream

ETS, predator is camo, but I rattle canned all the shiny bits
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Another arfcommer and I just got back from scouting out a large pond.  We are going to bring our kayaks next time to get to the back end of it.  I will be trying it out for duck season next month, never done it before, but he has.  I'll give you an AAR if it actually happens.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I second the "sit on", another is a T handle push pole, with a duckbill. Off the back its a lot easier in reeds or cat tails
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Took the 'yaks down to the pond this morning. We set up on the wrong side, so no shots taken, but we must have seen four dozen ducks today. We know where to go next time...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a kayak to duck hunt but it's mainly a water sled (hauling gear) and I use it to retrieve ducks....I don't have a dog.  I'd take a shot from it if I was out retrieving a duck and was given the opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Things I've learned from kayak hunting:

-Don't wear waders.
-Waterproof everything you don't want wet.
-Dummy cord your shotgun.
-Expect to get wet.
-Sit on top with fast grass is the easiest method of concealment.

The above is why I prefer hunting in pit blinds on corn fields.

The above is accurate..........
however, I do wear waders, because I like to get into shallows. ( I also wear a neck knife to cut me out of them if things go bad)
after years of trying this one, or that one..... if this one just had this.........
Finally got a beavertail stealth 2000. 3 years now, and it will not be replaced.2 big guys at their retirement weight have not flipped it. We have tried.
Drafts in around 4" of water, easy to paddle, and comfortable boat seats. Enough room for blind bags, and takes a bit to figure out how to haul decoys if hunting 2 guys.platform up fron for the dog.
my only complaint, would be the extra trolling motor mount. It needs to be about 5 inches wider. If running in stumpy, areas, and try to run the trolling motor shallow, the prop will keep hitting bottom side of the boat. If mount was 5" wider, could use trolling motor as a surface drive.
now there are some that do run 2hp outboards, and 3-8hp surface drive, or longtail motors on the 2000s
only down own side to the 2000, it is big and bulky to move around out of the water by yourself. Can be done, but you will quickly try to figure out an easier way the next time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Tried it again this morning. There is quite the learning curve. Next time we will try an area further down the pond with nice tall saw grass to hide in. Again, we saw lots of ducks, OUT OF RANGE.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]
3.5", tungsten, full-choke?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I need a waterproof case for my mag-10. Then we’ll fix that problem of “out of range” birds, lol.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Couple more things,
Take your ammo out of the box, and put in a zip lock.
Make sure your hatch cover is on when calling, otherwise it sounds like a base.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top