Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2016 2:25:55 PM EDT
I have a Winchester M97 made in 1910. Picked her up at an Oklahoma gun show in Chickasha a year ago for $375. Full choke, 16 Guage, very good working condition. I'd like to use it for waterfowl but I am very hesitant to pul steel waterfowl shot in her and watch it go. Its not going to be a safe queen- If I cant hunt with it I'm going to sell or trade it for an Ithaca M37.

Is there any alternative to Steel shot that is safer to shoot? Bismuth...etc? Finding non-toxic 16 gauge ammo is a pain, so if you know not just who makes it but who carries it, I'd be very grateful. Anyone with insight in shooting these older shotguns would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get a new (used) bbl, put the original one aside, & go to town.  Bismuth, Hevi-Shot, etc, will give slightly more range, but you'll pay though the nose if you can find it.  Best to reload 16 ga.

I have a 1898 made takedown w/ factory letter.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
This stuff is designed to be fired through older guns, it's as soft as/softer than lead, andwont mess the barrel up
http://www.niceshotinc.com/
Your other option is heavi shot classic doubles, but I don't remember if they make it
In 16
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Kent and Rio both load bismuth loads.  Safe for old barrels.  I haven't looked in a while, but I know Rio offers bismuth in 16 gauge.  Hevishot classic doubles as mentioned is an option as well.  I used to shoot that through a 16 gauge full choke wingmaster.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kent and Rio both load bismuth loads.  Safe for old barrels.  I haven't looked in a while, but I know Rio offers bismuth in 16 gauge.  Hevishot classic doubles as mentioned is an option as well.  I used to shoot that through a 16 gauge full choke wingmaster.
View Quote

The upside to heavishot is that you can go back to #6 for ducks,
I have nothing but good things to say about their products, for the last 2 years heavi metal #4s have but everything I've pointed the gun(Saiga) at into the boat, from teal to greater Canadas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top