Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2017 3:55:55 PM EDT
Well, they're starting to become a nuisance.  Basically they've been really descending on my garage because the bin we held the bird seed in, they gnawed a hole in the top and could get in.  Or the mice did.  But they've been getting in there.  So I just got that out of the garage and not planning on putting any back in.  Sorry birds.  We'll just have to buy small bags and put out what we have.  I'm not storing anymore in the garage.  

I'm afraid the stupid chipmunks are going to end up nesting in our cars and chewing up wires or something.  

So,  I want to kill them all.  But not sure the best way to do it.  I had a pellet gun that did a good job a few times on them, but it's dead.  I have pistols and such.  Shotguns.  I have a .410 single shot that I was planning on using but I'm in a subdivision.   Plus I'm trying to avoid ricochets if shooting on my porch or something.  I have to be very careful whatever I do, but it is legal to discharge firearms where I live.   So it would be nice to take advantage of that.  

If anyone has any tips.  That would be great.  Would some 9mm or handgun shot be a safer option?  A .22 short?  I'm still waiting on an RDS for that same single shot because my .22 barrel doesn't have a sight on it at present.   I thought maybe getting some .22 shorts would be like a pellet gun practically, but I don't really know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
We used to put traps in and around feed grain bags.

I'd buy another BB/pellet gun as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quit feeding birds, they'll shit all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Google bucket mouse trap or rolling log mouse trap.  There you go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
What type of airgun? Seal kits can be very reasonable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a gizmo called a Chipmunkinator.  It's a wire box trap that works pretty well.  You can only get one at a time, since when they get in there they scare their friends away.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google bucket mouse trap or rolling log mouse trap.  There you go.
View Quote
This is what I have heard works for large numbers...

Wire across a 5 gal bucket with a soda can or something that will roll. put peanut butter on the rolling piece and when they go for it they slip off and drown.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Five gallon bucket.

1/2 full of water

Float a thick layer of black oil sunflower seeds on top.

Stick for a ramp up to the rim.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We used to put traps in and around feed grain bags.

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Duke_WCSDLS11DJ_500.jpg

I'd buy another BB/pellet gun as well.
View Quote
Traps work 24/7  
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
17 hmr won't ricochet. Painless for them as well. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I use rat traps baited with peanut butter when needed and have probably killed close to 100 over the years. I also take a piece of string and tie it onto the tripping mechanism, leaving 1/2 inch hanging that I also coat with peanut butter. This way even if they are sneaky they always get gready and give the string a little tug trying to get more and then it's lights out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Five gallon bucket.

1/2 full of water

Float a thick layer of black oil sunflower seeds on top.

Stick for a ramp up to the rim.
View Quote
It was funny.  I had my son put the little seed bin out by the trash.  And then the next morning there was a dead chipmunk in it.  So I though, huh, just put out that thing by the bird feeder where we're seeing them a lot.  Well, 2 mice ended up in there.  Then we saw a chipmunk get in there and jump out.  So yeah, I gotta fill it with water.

I'm not sure what was up with that first chipmunk that died in there.  Must've had an OD of something.....  Or maybe it was just small enough that it couldn't jump out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Have-A-Heart traps with sunflower seed and some .22 LR #12shot pest control loads.

On my best day I caught five chipmunks a few hrs apart placing on the pole barn's floor. "Caught" prob 2 dozen in half a summer. Shoot em, drop em, reset.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Illegal to kill here.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the most fun method ever.

Sit on the roof of something. Car shed house. Whatever u want.  Nice quiet rifle. Pellet, CB caps, i use a suppressed 22lr.

Shoot them.  I like to pretend im a sniper.  Sometimes ill recite lines from the old Rainbow Six game.

If you ever have a rat problem.  This method at night with a wml is even more fun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#18]
First buy a steel trash can to put your seed in. Then buy a cheap Walmart air rifle. Problem solved. Mouse traps baited with peanut butter will work too but aren’t species selective like an air rifle is. You could use one of your existing firearms if you are careful of your field of fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top