Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2017 2:30:00 PM EDT
Neighbors tell me they hear them all the time. I have yet to hear them and I've been at this house for 7 years.
  Anyway last night dog woke me at around midnight. I let her she came back in a few min. Then I decided to sleep in my recliner so I didn't wake up the wife.
  I shut the tv off and closed my eyes. Couldn't sleep because of all the barking/yelping from a group of coyotes! Not sure how far away. Probably further than I would guess.
  My house is surrounded by a field that's about 400yds to the edge of the field which is woods with a small river.
  My stupid surefire batteries died so I couldn't check anything out past the yard.
   So I assume now is a good time to get into coyote hunting? Always wanted to just never got into it.
   What would you recommend for trying to get them closer for a shot? Try a mouth call? Electric?
  Don't want to spend a lot of cash now. But I'm sure you get what u pay for.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My best luck has been with a electric caller,  and a distressed puppy sound.  

If you had anything to play the many different calls that would help.
And a red lens on a bright light won't spook them as bad.

If you hunt and call coyotes you want to locate them if you can.

Now that you have that look at where you would go with a call and what is the wind like,    
My first coyote I called in to 20 ft of me, because the wind was right. He came in from a mile away, I watched him the whole way, with my rifle at the ready on 20X, then 18,12,8,finally 6. And a coyote is getting rough with my twirly attractor and call virtually right in front of me.

Me just sitting still against a big bush with the wind in my face . Looking for a spot to put one between the eyes.  

Hunt started with me doing ballistics in my head for a longer range shot,  then it went to very short range.  And that's been more common than not.  

Going to take a 10mm with me from now on.    When I've gotten the wind right they come all the way to the call.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks that's awesome! Def be cool to get one with a handgun! I got lucky deer hunting a few years ago and got a small buck with my 10mm glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top