Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2017 6:18:57 PM EDT
I recently retired and moved out to a rural area in North Florida. I brought my 4 cats and 2 disappeared after a few months. The two cats were brothers that I found as kittens behind a dumpster during the last few month as an LEO. Searching the neighborhood and talking with neighbors, I learned that numerous other folks have lost their cats and they told me it was coyotes. Apparently my street backs up to a large wooded area and coyotes come roaming at night picking off pets.

I have never been hunting before but the loss of my cats got me going out into the woods at night looking for yotes. I've been out a bunch with no success but learned a lot refining my equipment and technique. Sunday night I went out expecting nothing again. The wind was in my face and there was no moon. It was very dark. I have been using a PVS-14 Gen3 NV, head mounted in a Nightcap. Rifle is a Colt 6920 with an IR laser (OTAL-C) and a Surefire V1 vampire for illumination. Most of the area is thick woods with numerous narrow trails. It opens up in a few places into a dirt road with some power lines.

I was quietly creeping along one of the dirt roads when I saw something cross the road in front of me, maybe 50 yards away. It looks big, like a deer (which I have seen several times) or wild pig. As I got closer, I walked up on a pack of coyotes. I don't know what they were doing, mating, gathering etc, but they were distracted. I hit my V1 and illuminated the closest yote, which gave me a perfect broadside about 25 yards away. I clicked off the safety and hit the laser, putting it on her shoulder. I prepped and squeezed the trigger and pop, she dropped instantly. I stood there staring at her scared and exhilarated at the same time. The yote then lifted up her head a little and I was afraid she would jump up and run off wounded. I fired 2 more shots to make sure she was dead. I was using Federal 55gr Gameking and it did the trick.

The other coyotes scattered but did not go far. One ran down the road but kept staring at me. I lased him up too but did not shoot. I was shaking from adrenalin and was not sure of the shot. Some other yotes ran into the woods just to my left and began barking and howling like mad. It was very eerie and strange. Apparently they knew what just happened and were not happy with me.

I had no idea coyotes worked in packs and seem to "work" together. I had no idea that they barked like dogs. I had no idea that they are so smart.

I took a few crappy cell phone pictures with my PVS14 but I have no way of posting pics.

I know my little story if probably boring to anyone with even a little hunting experience but it was my first and I'll never forget it!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
well done!

I live in a suburban area, coyotes march the main road proud as hell every night

always plenty of new "missing cat" posters around.

can't shoot them here
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice, 1 down and sounds like you have more to get.

But these have just been schooled a bit.  Wind in your face helped walk up on them for sure.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice job OP.

Figure out a way to post pics...  I think you should put a thermal scope on your wish list.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
POsting pics.... Go to www.tinypic.com..... upload your image then cut and paste the {img} link into your post. The picture will appear like magic...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Seasoned deer hunter here, not bored by your story, not at all.  Good hunt! Well Done Sir! We're all about varmint huntin' here in Montana.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the positive replies. I was half expecting to be laughed at.

The coyote was a female. About 35-40 pounds. Much bigger than I expected. From her nose to her rear (not counting the tail) she is the same length as my 16" barreled AR with the stock all the way in. A beautiful animal IMO.

Ill try to post pics but I don't have the proper account or membership.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Mangy flea bag..
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=256wyv4&s=9
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]
ooops. double tap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=256wyv4&s=9
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Here ya go stinky finger.

Eta....great job OP.  I will never forget my first yote either. Keep plugging them!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I recently retired and moved out to a rural area in North Florida. I brought my 4 cats and 2 disappeared after a few months. The two cats were brothers that I found as kittens behind a dumpster during the last few month as an LEO. Searching the neighborhood and talking with neighbors, I learned that numerous other folks have lost their cats and they told me it was coyotes. Apparently my street backs up to a large wooded area and coyotes come roaming at night picking off pets.

I have never been hunting before but the loss of my cats got me going out into the woods at night looking for yotes. I've been out a bunch with no success but learned a lot refining my equipment and technique. Sunday night I went out expecting nothing again. The wind was in my face and there was no moon. It was very dark. I have been using a PVS-14 Gen3 NV, head mounted in a Nightcap. Rifle is a Colt 6920 with an IR laser (OTAL-C) and a Surefire V1 vampire for illumination. Most of the area is thick woods with numerous narrow trails. It opens up in a few places into a dirt road with some power lines.

I was quietly creeping along one of the dirt roads when I saw something cross the road in front of me, maybe 50 yards away. It looks big, like a deer (which I have seen several times) or wild pig. As I got closer, I walked up on a pack of coyotes. I don't know what they were doing, mating, gathering etc, but they were distracted. I hit my V1 and illuminated the closest yote, which gave me a perfect broadside about 25 yards away. I clicked off the safety and hit the laser, putting it on her shoulder. I prepped and squeezed the trigger and pop, she dropped instantly. I stood there staring at her scared and exhilarated at the same time. The yote then lifted up her head a little and I was afraid she would jump up and run off wounded. I fired 2 more shots to make sure she was dead. I was using Federal 55gr Gameking and it did the trick.

The other coyotes scattered but did not go far. One ran down the road but kept staring at me. I lased him up too but did not shoot. I was shaking from adrenalin and was not sure of the shot. Some other yotes ran into the woods just to my left and began barking and howling like mad. It was very eerie and strange. Apparently they knew what just happened and were not happy with me.

I had no idea coyotes worked in packs and seem to "work" together. I had no idea that they barked like dogs. I had no idea that they are so smart.

I took a few crappy cell phone pictures with my PVS14 but I have no way of posting pics.

I know my little story if probably boring to anyone with even a little hunting experience but it was my first and I'll never forget it!!
View Quote

I live in rural north Florida too, we must be close the coyotes have been running strong for a while...specially since my Doberman died and isn't there to chase them off our property.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Great job! I've never shot one but would love to. Interesting that you were able to get so close to them; it seems a bit unusual.

To post future pics:
Right-click your mouse on the "IMG" box to highlight it and pop up the following menu.
Click on "Copy."
Go to your post.
Right-click your mouse again and select "Paste."
Boom. Done. That's it, and all you have to do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top