Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2016 6:20:25 PM EDT
Please tell me how! I live in Montgomery, AL well inside the city limits. Can't shoot it. I have a live trap. I have placed it out for the last two days and I did catch a fat (maybe 15lbs) opossum. I used wet cat food under it as bait. I think the trap should be big enough, it's debatable and I do wish it was bigger. But I mention the opossum because it worked on it.

I'm asking because I assume a Racoon is smarter and harder to trap than a opossum.

The reason is I lost a chicken to a racoon this past Saturday night. It pulled a hinge out of some rotten wood and was able to pull the cover of the nesting box back to gain entry.

Tips & suggestions welcome!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Stinky stuff like cat food will catch you more opossum non-targets (and cats- go figure).  Try marshmallows, as the coons will like them but the opossums will be more likely to leave them alone.  Make sure the coon can't reach through from the side and pull it out. A big coon can and will rip the front door off of a Harbor Freight purchased trap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to dispatch without leaving the city limits just put a conibear in front of the door when you go to release your catches. You may want to do this in an area of your premises where the neighbors won't notice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
can of tuna.......... some bacon grease........... a donut or two..........  those little buggers will eat almost anything.

treat yourself and the wife to some lobsters and steamers..... put the shell trash in the back of the trap.  they will go after the shells.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
We always caught them with marshmallows
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
By the way, two days with an untouched trap is nothing.  You would not have an abnormal experience if you go several weeks without a hit, considering you only have one trap out and you may be in a low traffic area. My guess is that a city raccoon probably doesn't cover more than a two or three block radius worth of territory though, so if you get one it is likely your chicken killer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Had good luck with them also. Not sure if it was the scent or that they are white and easily seen at night to make them curious.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always use a combo of marshmallows and Cheetos puffs (use the cheap store brand)

If it gets warm enough I have had problems with fire ants getting all over the bait so I always clean up every day and re bait the traps in the evening.

Edited to add: the trap I have the most success is about 12x12x36. I need a new one, my mail man backed over mine recently.

I have smaller and larger traps but they don't seem to work as well for Raccoons for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
By the way, two days with an untouched trap is nothing.  You would not have an abnormal experience if you go several weeks without a hit, considering you only have one trap out and you may be in a low traffic area. My guess is that a city raccoon probably doesn't cover more than a two or three block radius worth of territory though, so if you get one it is likely your chicken killer.
View Quote

I just checked the trap. Second opossum trapped. Trap in same place over top of same cat food bait.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Hopefully you will get them cleaned out soon. Possums suck. I prefer catching skunks over possums. I doubt I'd feel the same way if I was pulling them from my back yard though.

I won't put up a possum, but I don't mind putting up a stinker from time to time.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I feed the possums since they are little tick eating machines but I kill all the raccoons I can, nasty ass mean creatures they are. 

shrimp or crab shells work good
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Anything sweet will do. I catch them using cat food or blue berry fig newtons.

Lost four hens when bore coon pulled up the tin roof of my run. Raised the chickens since they was a week old.

Caught that coon the first night then ran his but out to the family ranch and popped him with a 357 sig p229 when I let him out. Exploded coon head.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Jackson vanilla wafers is the answer you seek. Got a friend who traps for a living and he told me around here nine out of 10 coons prefer Jackson over Nilla vanilla wafers.

True story. From around the fire at deer camp.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE:
More cat food out yesterday. Trap has two doors, one on each end, one door was down last night/this morning. So I had a malfunction of sorts.

Today reset trap, came home tonight checked trap boom opossum #3. This is kind of fun, but seems too easy. I really need to put the sweets in a try for the coon, but the opossums got to go.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#14]
You realize that the possums will eat your chickens/eggs too, right? Those MF'ers are brutal. I'm just as happy to dispatch them in a trap as I am a raccoon.

With that being said, I've always had good luck on raccoons using an old tuna can/pack. If you want to protect your chickens kill all the possums and raccoons that you can.

The idea is anything that fucking stinks. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason that anyone can say is fail proof for catching them across the country. I've used a "live trap" for raccoons, possums, and groundhogs with everything from marshmallows and tuna to cantaloupe.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You realize that the possums will eat your chickens/eggs too, right? Those MF'ers are brutal. I'm just as happy to dispatch them in a trap as I am a raccoon.

With that being said, I've always had good luck on raccoons using an old tuna can/pack. If you want to protect your chickens kill all the possums and raccoons that you can.

The idea is anything that fucking stinks. I don't think there is any rhyme or reason that anyone can say is fail proof for catching them across the country. I've used a "live trap" for raccoons, possums, and groundhogs with everything from marshmallows and tuna to cantaloupe.
View Quote

Oh yeah I have been keeping chickens about 8 years now. I haven't lost a chicken to a opossum yet, but I have caught them in the coop eating eggs before.

Even though I live well inside the city I have lost chickens to hawks (biggest problem), foxes (I got a special out of season trapping permit for) ended up being a male and female and now this raccoon.

Basically anything that gets caught in the trap is going to be relocated unless it has a collar then it goes to the pound. The raccoon will be shot. I have veterinarian friend who I will offer the coon to for the pelt.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Try Oreo cookies.  I shit you not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Try sardines as bait. It has worked well for me in the past.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#18]
My never fail bait is fried chicken, normally a drumstick or wing wired to the upper back of the live trap. I kid you not I have a 100% success rate with Fried chicken.

Remember to stake the trap down with at least two stakes so the coon can't flip the trap or push/pull it around or do what I did and build a plywood tunnel that sits over the trap and protects the trigger from being set off from the outside.    

You're welcome. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Take what ever canned bait you choose, tuna, cat food, sardines etc and stab some holes in the can and zip tie it to the tip plate of the live trap.

If your trap is too small anything that trips it and is not fully inside the door when it trips will just back out and leave.

My father and I trapped a dozen wild cats one summer that were tipping over every trash can in the neighborhood.
One huge tomcat was so big the door wouldn't close with him inside so we got a bigger trap.

Took them to his friends farm and turned them loose on his rodent population.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Marshmallows.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
It may help take change your trap from a cage type to one specifically for racoons like a dog proof coon trap. 

My inlaws and I have one we use at their farm and we've killed 15 coons in the last year with zero by-catch. 
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Take what ever canned bait you choose, tuna, cat food, sardines etc and stab some holes in the can and zip tie it to the tip plate of the live trap.

If your trap is too small anything that trips it and is not fully inside the door when it trips will just back out and leave.

One huge tomcat was so big the door wouldn't close with him inside so we got a bigger trap.
View Quote

That's why I wire the bait to the back of the trap.The higher up on the back of the trap the better.

The animal has to get all the way into the cage to reach it and can't help but hitting the trigger while trying to pull the bait off. 
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It may help take change your trap from a cage type to one specifically for racoons like a dog proof coon trap. 

My inlaws and I have one we use at their farm and we've killed 15 coons in the last year with zero by-catch. 
View Quote

The problem with dog proofs is the OP can't shoot them. He'd have to club it over the head and hope his neighbors aren't PETA members 

If OP want's to he can just get himself a 220 conibear and stick a couple peanut butter smeared marshmallows on the trigger wires. 
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The problem with dog proofs is the OP can't shoot them. He'd have to club it over the head and hope his neighbors aren't PETA members 

If OP want's to he can just get himself a 220 conibear and stick a couple peanut butter smeared marshmallows on the trigger wires. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only problem with using conibears is they don't alow for the release of non-target species. 
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

A few of those and a Honey Bun worked for this guy last night:

He got a little pissy during the ride.

There's a few more to go...

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:49:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I used to be a licensed nuisance wildlife control agent.  To target coons, and only coons, try peanut butter. All that stinky shit will attract possums, as you have already found.  And what you really don't want to catch is a skunk. Peanut butter won't be 100% on coons, but it's the bet bait I ever found to target coons.

Also, they are crafty little shits and vicious. It would be best if you can stake down your trap with a chunk of rebar or something similar. Some box traps will let them escape if turned over.

And you probably have a bunch of coons, not just one. If you have a long barreled 22 rifle, CB caps are almost as quiet as a pellet gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Peanutbutter with honey on top. Sweet stuff to catch coons.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Tuna, and brown sugar... Mix it well, place bait in something they cant take, and have to work at.. I always set traps for coons so they have only one way to approach... These arnt fox, or coyotes, you can literally build a V out of sticks and logs and place bait in the corner and they will approach where you want them.. Coons are like Ninjas with monkeys hands, its best to try and have them do what you want, but they don't spook as much with human scent, or get scared if you mess with their habitat... Put a few stones out of place in a Coyotes Territory? good luck.. I literally take a cell pic of the ground before I set a coyote trap, and will try my damnedest to return it 100%.. Even then if one little detail seems off, your done..
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

After reading this post I put out my trap 6pm Sunday, I had him caught by 2AM.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Did op ever catch his coon?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Did op ever catch his coon?
View Quote
Little late, but I found a path going under my privacy fence and chicken feathers. I had another chicken go missing so I bought a conibear and set it in the area under the fence. I caught something in it a few nights ago however the animal got away. I was outside checking the chickens when it sprung and something was in it for several seconds. I heard movement and low verbal sounds from something not have a pleasant time. By the time I got my flashlight the animal had somehow gotten loose. I'm still scratching my head over how something got out of the conibear, it seams like once its springs it mechanically locks up.

I plan to set more traps this fall and winter as I figure these animals will be cold and eating more...hopefully easier to trap.

I also bought a coon specific trap, Duke DP coon trap. I am looking forward to using it.

FWIW I think I have have something other than a coon too(I have seen the coon so PID on that one). I believe I have or had another fox.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Net guns aren't classified as firearms.

You can order one over the internet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Little late, but I found a path going under my privacy fence and chicken feathers. I had another chicken go missing so I bought a conibear and set it in the area under the fence. I caught something in it a few nights ago however the animal got away. I was outside checking the chickens when it sprung and something was in it for several seconds. I heard movement and low verbal sounds from something not have a pleasant time. By the time I got my flashlight the animal had somehow gotten loose. I'm still scratching my head over how something got out of the conibear, it seams like once its springs it mechanically locks up.

I plan to set more traps this fall and winter as I figure these animals will be cold and eating more...hopefully easier to trap.

I also bought a coon specific trap, Duke DP coon trap. I am looking forward to using it.

FWIW I think I have have something other than a coon too(I have seen the coon so PID on that one). I believe I have or had another fox.
View Quote
get a trail cam. they are very useful. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Have caught a lot of coons with cracked whole pecans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
How'd the Duke work for you, @220? They've got a lot of positive reviews on Amazon and I'll probably order one soon too.

Marshmallows and day-old bread with a little cane syrup poured on it lured this guy in today:

Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How'd the Duke work for you, @220? They've got a lot of positive reviews on Amazon and I'll probably order one soon too.

Marshmallows and day-old bread with a little cane syrup poured on it lured this guy in today:
https://i.imgur.com/JZuloBt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uv7KpCc.jpg
View Quote
That's a handy little trapline gun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#37]
It really is, but I gotta' work on shot placement. Emptied the thing in his head before he finally quit flopping around.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus. A 220 can kill a good sized dog. I've caught lots of coons in them and never had an escape. what notch did you have the trigger in? 
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I have caught them with mardi gras beads hang some in the trap you will only catch a coon.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't used the coon trap yet, but since it's cooling down I'm going to put it out. I have been using the body grip trap and I have been having good results, just no coons. It even trapped a squirrel. Slight learning curve on the body grip trap too, it has two settings on the trigger and is kind of directional. I have been playing with the direction part. Of the opossums I have trapped, which is 3, I have caught two by hips/pelvis and one was the neck and it's pelvis(it was in the trap real good).  

Make sure you get the tool(s) for what ever trap you get that help you compress the springs.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I haven't used the coon trap yet, but since it's cooling down I'm going to put it out. I have been using the body grip trap and I have been having good results, just no coons. It even trapped a squirrel. Slight learning curve on the body grip trap too, it has two settings on the trigger and is kind of directional. I have been playing with the direction part. Of the opossums I have trapped, which is 3, I have caught two by hips/pelvis and one was the neck and it's pelvis(it was in the trap real good).  

Make sure you get the tool(s) for what ever trap you get that help you compress the springs.
View Quote
Just use a piece of rope for the Conibears. 
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Jesus. A 220 can kill a good sized dog. I've caught lots of coons in them and never had an escape. what notch did you have the trigger in? 
View Quote
I'm learning as I go. I have used both notches, but have pretty much settled on the first one. I have found the direction I have the trap turned makes a difference too. I just can't control which direction they enter.  I have been catching mainly opossums with this trap.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#43]
my best recipe is leftvoer BBQ rib bones, zip tied to the back of the trap

I put cinder blocks on the sides and back so
they have to walk in

they are mean little fuckers

I shot one once with a 180gr winchester ranger JHP right between the eyes

the round deflected downward and blew half his jaw off

he was fuckin PISSED

follow up thru the heart/lungs sent him to hell

if you want a quiet kill place him behind your truck
shop vac hose tapped to exhaust
lay it next to the trap, cover with a tarp tightly
( place loaded ammo cans tightly around the tarp to seal )
run the truck for 25 mins.

nitey nite wabbit

Link Posted: 11/11/2017 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm learning as I go. I have used both notches, but have pretty much settled on the first one. I have found the direction I have the trap turned makes a difference too. I just can't control which direction they enter.  I have been catching mainly opossums with this trap.
View Quote
Are you baiting the conibear of you setting it in a path of travel?
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are you baiting the conibear of you setting it in a path of travel?
View Quote
I have it in a path, but it's really just a gap under a piece of privacy fence. I place the trap in the gap up against the fence. I use bricks on the sides to close up the gap so the animal is forced in the trap. I think the animals use this particular spot because my neighbor on that side does absolutely nothing to the back yard of her house and it is very much like a untouched stand of woodlands. It seems to be a good habitat for wildlife where these animals would feel comfortable.

I have not used bait... 1) attracting even more animals 2) attracting the wrong animals and 3) My chickens being about 100' away seems to be a pretty good attractant.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have it in a path, but it's really just a gap under a piece of privacy fence. I place the trap in the gap up against the fence. I use bricks on the sides to close up the gap so the animal is forced in the trap. I think the animals use this particular spot because my neighbor on that side does absolutely nothing to the back yard of her house and it is very much like a untouched stand of woodlands. It seems to be a good habitat for wildlife where these animals would feel comfortable.

I have not used bait... 1) attracting even more animals 2) attracting the wrong animals and 3) My chickens being about 100' away seems to be a pretty good attractant.
View Quote
Are you staking the trap down? That could be part of your reason for loosing animals. 
This is a very effective racoon set 

This will cut way down on your accidental catches. hang it off the ground leaving enough space for a coon to get under it and climb in. 

Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stick a marshmallow on the trigger wires and see what happens 

Edit. you can always switch to snares. 
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Are you staking the trap down? That could be part of your reason for loosing animals. 
This is a very effective racoon set 
http://www.dec.ny.gov/images/wildlife_images/bucketcubbytrap.JPG
This will cut way down on your accidental catches. hang it off the ground leaving enough space for a coon to get under it and climb in. 

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6qd2qVXoh0OFQd278CiChe-hrsB6v54C1IueiKEUXKXXPrxmx
View Quote
Thanks for your help. I Have not been staking the trap as shown. I did not know that was a suggested or proper way. I will do that tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top