Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Roof-mounted tents? (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I had my campground on hipcamp for a couple years.  
You get two kinds of people: overlander style campers, and dudes looking to bring a date to a remote location for a little shamalamadingdong

Funny thing is every overlanding couple that came up, the chick made all the reservations, communicated etc.  I wouldn’t know about the guy until they showed up
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
OP, I like your kitchen setup!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
OP, I like your kitchen setup!

It's all my wife's idea, I'm just the handyman along for the ride

Originally Posted By taliv:
I had my campground on hipcamp for a couple years.  
You get two kinds of people: overlander style campers, and dudes looking to bring a date to a remote location for a little shamalamadingdong

Funny thing is every overlanding couple that came up, the chick made all the reservations, communicated etc.  I wouldn’t know about the guy until they showed up

Yep, that would be us. My wife does most the coordination, reservations, communications, etc. I'm just there for entertainment, the payouts and good looks

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#3]

A little backyard camp out.  Wife wanted to try out the hatchback awning

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Yep, this week, a Palamino SS1251 Badlands package substitute the roof rack for an AC unit.

There's a ton to sort out but I'm working on it.
TJ
View Quote

That's actually pretty awesome for a truck camper and sound like "dismounting" is relatively easy.

We have to take the tent off this weekend for a couple months, so that is definitely a downside. It's not so much heavy as it is big. My wife and I can handle it, but I'm going to try a couple of 2x4's to help get it down and not scratch up her roof.

Another downside is gear packing.  This is where a truck camper like TJ's or even a small Teardrop has a big advantage. Our kit isn't much and works well for our application, but to use her car outside of daily work commutes, you need to remove the "kitchen suite" and a few other supplies we keep with it. While more compact overall, it can be a storage hassle if you don't have the room (we have the room, but it can still be a hassle). It would be more convenient to just have all your stuff stored in a teardrop...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Plus its a bonus that it combines both the advantages of a tent with the advantages of a hard side camper, way more ventilation without giving up heat or cooling.  
Tj
View Quote

I like it and if do a partial upgrade and not a full camper, I may look at something like that for my truck...the indoors bathroom becomes more important the older you get

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I posted this in another thread but figured it would be a good addition here as well.  In a few years my wife and I will start looking into a tow behind or slide in camper for my truck.

A little late to the thread but I use something in-between.  A tent trailer *not a pop up*.

Provides the ability to haul two wheeled rigs with us where we go or kayaks without taking up all my trucks hauling space.  When I first got it several years ago, I had a Jeep Patriot, so I was bringing a trailer to bring boats or toys with us regardless.  I have since traded the Patriot for a Nissan Titan and still enjoy it a couple times a year.  Takes me about 20 minutes to setup our campsite from the point I find the spot, which includes trailer leveling, tent setup, bedding, and other gear.  When I first got it, it took me 30min+ and its more designed as a base camp use.  I probably wouldn't bother for one night but for a couple to a week we really enjoy it.

What I like is the ability to haul extra toys, and the ability to have a large amount of inside space on longer trips should the weather turn south.  I tried air mattress in it but wasn't a fan, I found that thick foam camping mats work better for us.  I often add my backpacking self-inflating pad as well.  That paired with our easy up and we have a ton of undercover space.  I also tent camp many times a year and it seems it takes me not much less time to setup a regular tent camp site vs using the trailer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Roof-mounted tents? (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top